Problem with Lunt 50

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Ivan
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Problem with Lunt 50

Post by Ivan »

Hello everybody!

Two months ago, I bought a new Lunt 50.
Connecting the camera to it, I noticed that in the left part of the frame, half of the Sun's disk is "illuminated". While the other half is fine.
This really upset me, but I was advised to turn the diagonal with a blocking filter, and see what happens.
I followed the advice, and turning the diagonal by 90 degrees found that the "spot" (the place in the frame where the Sun is illuminated) also turns. And at the same time, its size decreases, although the "spot" does not disappear completely.
If anyone has encountered this, please write. I do not know if this is a warranty case or if it is a normal condition.

Thank you, Ivan
Attachments
20210505_002241.jpg
20210505_002241.jpg (108.6 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
20210505_002219.jpg
20210505_002219.jpg (90.32 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
20210505_002138.jpg
20210505_002138.jpg (86.32 KiB) Viewed 2870 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Problem with Lunt 50

Post by Montana »

I'm not sure but I would turn it (clock it) to the lowest amount and then move the Sun completely away from it. It looks like you have lots of room to move the Sun over and out of the way.

Alexandra

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thank you Alexandra, I do, but I want to understand this problem is common and what is the matter here.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi Ivan,

I have a similar thing with mine, the etalon is 'slack / has play' in the enclosure it is housed. This is what causes the banding effect, excessive tilt of an etalon when not sat orthogonal to its enclosure. If you have just bought it new send it back and get a replacement and see if the new one is better.

I'm afraid this is the vagaries of the lower end of the solar price bracket when it comes to equipment.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

marktownley wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:16 pm Hi Ivan,

I have a similar thing with mine, the etalon is 'slack / has play' in the enclosure it is housed. This is what causes the banding effect, excessive tilt of an etalon when not sat orthogonal to its enclosure. If you have just bought it new send it back and get a replacement and see if the new one is better.

I'm afraid this is the vagaries of the lower end of the solar price bracket when it comes to equipment.

Mark
Thank you for your answer, Mark.

I bought it new. A few weeks ago, I wrote about this problem in Lunt, but they are dragging their feet with an answer.

I still have little experience and knowledge, and I thought that if it was etalon, then when you turn the blocking filter, the "spot" or "strip" would not turn with it. I thought it was a blocking filter... but in any case the postage is on me :(

GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by GreatAttractor »

To me it seems to be the etalon sweetspot - which is normal. The bright areas are those just outside the sweet-spots's edge. The Lunt 50 is capable of showing the whole solar disc on-band, and it does that more or less in your images. It's just that the center of the sweet-spot is a bit to the right and down from the FOV center - might be due to focuser droop (I had something similar, see this thread). Also, your tuning may be a bit off, resulting in less-than-maximal size of the sweetspot. Try using a Barlow, so that the Sun fills the whole FOV, and then pressure-tune the etalon until the dark area is a big as possible.

My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scopes (90 mm, 200 mm), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

It might be prudent Ivan, to tell us what Blocking Filter you are using and also whether this problem appears using whatever Eye Pieces you are using ?

Although initially this does sound and look like an Etalon problem, but more details as above, would help us diagnose the issue.

If possible also let us have some more images whilst adjusting the Etalon please ???

Also confirm that even if you have a Double Stack unit, that this is not attached to the scope, as similar problems can occur, before getting used to using a Double Stack ?

Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

GreatAttractor wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:07 pm To me it seems to be the etalon sweetspot - which is normal. The bright areas are those just outside the sweet-spots's edge. The Lunt 50 is capable of showing the whole solar disc on-band, and it does that more or less in your images. It's just that the center of the sweet-spot is a bit to the right and down from the FOV center - might be due to focuser droop (I had something similar, see this thread). Also, your tuning may be a bit off, resulting in less-than-maximal size of the sweetspot. Try using a Barlow, so that the Sun fills the whole FOV, and then pressure-tune the etalon until the dark area is a big as possible.

GreatAttractor, thank you for your answer!

The conjurer really has a small backlash. I also thought at first that it was because when you rotate the diagonal with the camera (relative to the telescope), this "spot" also turns and even becomes smaller.

I will definitely try the pressure tuner tuning method using the barlow lens. So far, we have rain.

Thank you, Ivan.

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:23 pm It might be prudent Ivan, to tell us what Blocking Filter you are using and also whether this problem appears using whatever Eye Pieces you are using ?

Although initially this does sound and look like an Etalon problem, but more details as above, would help us diagnose the issue.

If possible also let us have some more images whilst adjusting the Etalon please ???

Also confirm that even if you have a Double Stack unit, that this is not attached to the scope, as similar problems can occur, before getting used to using a Double Stack ?

Terry
Terry, thank you for your answer!

I used the b600.

If you look through the eyepiece, the effect of the "illuminated" Sun does not occur, just at some point (when the Sun is at the edge of the field of view), the chromospheric grid disappears and the Sun becomes simply orange without details.

I don't have a doublestack.

Unfortunately, I didn't record a video of the etalon setup while it's raining and overcast. As soon as the weather is good, I'll record a video with the setting.

Earlier I recorded three short videos with my problem, maybe this will help to find the cause:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COgaxnjC97Z ... j6ai0mvidt

https://www.instagram.com/p/COgafyoCVAj ... ss879l4prv

https://www.instagram.com/p/COgZPy2BVV_ ... 2ngn4lfd8z

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Ivan,
Unfortunately I can't use instagram on my systems here.
I would have thought that just a few single-frame images as JPEGS might suffice..

What size EP are you using to fine-focus and/or viewing the Sun ??

Also are you using any FOCAL-REDUCERS or BARLOWS and their details, as well as what camera are you using with or without those FR's or Barlow's ?

I need to fully understand everything that produced those first images you have hi-lighted and also what download program from the camera to your PC and even what processing program too - might help to guide you. Hopefully if you are using a Solar-rate guiding-mount, that will make life easier for you ??

(I have my Lunt 60mm Ha and a Cal-K scopes for some 10-years - so I have a good idea of what your 50mm version should achieve)..

From your reply, I well suspect that an Etalon tuning problem is a likely cause.

It seems that yours is a Pressure-Tuned version ??

Ultimately, if you can get a decent view through an EP and to just settle on a nice all-round image of either surface-detail or prominences by adjusting the Etalon. (Before that of course - get the focusing absolutely perfect on the limb/edge of the Sun's disk).

Once a nice clear view of whichever you are looking at with the EP, then try the camera and only adjust the focus when viewing the pc-screen on the limb. No Barlows or Focal-reducers should be needed (depending on which camera is used at the outset. Those are only required later - for either effectively magnifying the disk [or part of] or getting the whole Solar-disk into the frame, but depending on the camera type of course).

Then adjustment for camera-focusing will likely be required by pulling-out the draw-tube to say a half of it's travel and then fine-focus with the adjusting-knob.

In other words, depending on which camera you are using, to start with full-disk imaging is the way forward and the web-link below will assist with what is required for full or part-disk imaging...

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/
is the very useful-tool for showing what your scope and camera can achieve and also what Barlow and Focal Reducers can do as an add-on to your setup...

A few more answers are required please and then I will do my best to get the problem solved...

BTW Lunt do have perhaps the best service and advice system of any supplier that I have known over many years..

Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I can't see the vids either, it keeps directing me to sign up to instagram and i'm not doing that.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

That's right Mark and I won't sign up to that either.

Cheers
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Terry, thank you for your help.

Yes, my Lunt 50 has a pressure tuner. By the way, when I set it up (using the eyepiece) I have no change in brightness, i.e. at the same setting I see both the prominences and the chromosphere. Is this normal?

Before setting up the tuner, I focus, making sure that the edges of the disc are as sharp as possible.

I use the svbony 8-24 zoom eyepiece.

When I shot these "spot" videos, I didn't use a Barlow lens or a focus reducer. Only Lunt 50 and QHY 5R ll C camera.

The program for shooting EZPlanetary. The "spot" there is immediately visible on the laptop screen.

I didn't process these videos, just reduced the number of frames and changed the file format.

For addition, I use AS!

Before shooting each of the three videos, I rotated the diagonal with the block filter by 90°.

I use Heq5 pro, in these videos I "moved" the Sun around the frame to understand the boundaries of the "spot".

If there is a problem with setting the standard, then why is part of the Sun "illuminated", and the other part is not and details are visible on it?

I don't like social media either and I didn't use Instagram. I registered yesterday :) to post a video. Signed up for flickr today :) here are these three videos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/192930712@N02/

Thank you for the link https://astronomy.tools/calculators1 /field_of_view/ I previously used a similar calculator in stellarium.

I've heard that the Lunt support team is one of the best, but I don't know how long it will take them to watch the three short videos I sent them.

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Ivan.
Your first comment as:-
"By the way, when I set it up (using the eyepiece) I have no change in brightness, i.e. at the same setting I see both the prominences and the chromosphere. Is this normal ?"
Yes this can be normal if the Etalon is set at a midway-point between tuning for surface-detail as Granulation (Porridge), Sun-spots and filaments etc. Tuning either-side of that point - should enhance the surface-detail and loose prominences, whilst tuning the other-side will do the opposite...
+++
Now reviewing the videos on flickr, show two immediate reactions from me.
1. The images are too bright, so adjusting the download-program for the the camera-settings to reduce the brightness is required.

2. Dust Bunnies are evident on each video and three can clearly be seen in the Upper-Left-Quadrant.
So confirm where they are on the whole set-up by:-
Turn the camera only within the Blocking-Filter and if those spots also turn the the camera should be cleaned as per manufacturer's
recommendations.
Do the same procedure for the blocking-filter and if those two are not the cause, then less likely is significant dust within the main-body of the
scope.
I'm sure you already realise the need to always keep camera, Blocking Filter, Scopes and EP's covered with their proper caps/covers - immediately
they are open to the air and dust...
+++
Your question as:- "If there is a problem with setting the standard, then why is part of the Sun "illuminated", and the other part is not and details
are visible on it?" - is likely at this stage due to the setting of the Etalon and which there appears some snags (possibly
caused by postal-handling damage, but that is not yet confirmed as a likely cause yet... (My first reply
here refers)...
+++
I will be consulting more about your EZPlanetary downloading program for other tips, but certainly to reduce the exposure settings...
+++
AutoStakkert is probably the best and simplest program to use (for a start at least)...
+++
If you sent Lunt the video links on Instagram, they will probably not open it, as both Mark T. and myself would not either...
+++
The Svbony 8-24 zoom eyepiece should be adequate for Solar-use and certainly for setting-up the scope and focus & Etalon.
+++
The SkyWatcher HEQ-5 Pro is an excellent choice for your SolarScope set-up and only a smaller version of my SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6GT , so an
excellent mount...
+++
Is your scope in an observatory type of situation or do you have to move it around before and after a session ???
+++
I will be looking more deeply into this problem and I might well have further advice for you and as soon as you are able, please let us see some still captures, where you might apply the details as to any settings used to capture those - thanks vm

Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Terry, thanks for your answer.

My setup is on the balcony, Heq 5 is not disassembled, to start shooting, I just need to install the telescope.

Your comment on what the pressure tuner should make visible either prominences or the chromosphere. On my telescope, I did not notice this. I'll try it again as soon as the weather permits.

I will try to remove the dust. And I will make the exposure shorter.

I sent the video to Lunt in an email and they said they got it.

I will follow through on all your recommendations as soon as the weather permits, and I will inform you.

Thanks for helping me.

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Ok Ivan, a little more research shows that the program SharpCap for downloading from camera to PC, will handle your QHY 5R ll C camera.

I also understand that camera is colour, so inevitably settings will be very important and likely explains why the red-colour in your images is a tad over the top in that colour.

So it would be prudent to download the free-download program SharpCap from :- https://www.sharpcap.co.uk as soon as you can so I can better see what else is needed in you download camera settings. I have been using SharpCap for many years and is fairly easy to set-up and has a help menu too...

We are getting closer to sorting-out your issues and I have asked Mark Townley for any other suggestion to hopefully get you up and running into Solar-imaging as soon as...

Best Wishes
Terry

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Ivan for your latest reply and we can wait and see the outcome of further trials that you understand to try out.

GREAT CARE IN GETTING RID OF THOSE NON-SOLAR SPOTS, WHICH YOU CAN PROBABLY DO WITHOUT THE SUN-BEING OUT...

Regards
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thank you so much Terry!

I am so glad that you are helping me. I downloaded SharpCap and started studying it. When I start shooting, I will make a print screen of the screen so that you can see what settings I have made, and you can judge whether they are correct or not.

I also have a monochrome qhy img0s camera, but to focus with it I need a Barlow lens (there is not enough focusing movement inside the telescope). And besides, there is even more dust on it, and I cannot remove it because the dust is not visible when you look at the sensor, but it is clearly visible when the camera is working.
In addition, the Barlow lens will greatly reduce the field of view and "spots" can not be seen.

Thanks for your help, Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks for that reply Ivan.

DUST CAPS are the way-forward to deal with those Bunnies of every piece of astro-gear - always...

There should be enough travel for the Blocking filter to be moved in or out of the scopes own focusing-tube - to assist focusing, which that is really what it is doing anyway... (Just make it secure after any changes in or out)...

Good idea on the screenshots of SharpCap as well as good idea to try this very-suitable program for Solar and Lunar etc.,too. Especially as now there is a very large area of Sun-spots visible in the N.E. near the limb, which should help you over the next (10)-days or so...

I would recommend that you just concentrate on capturing these Sun-spots in the first instance and later can try for the proms.

A further recommendation is to see if your camera as (recognised by SharpCap in the "CAMERA" drop-down window) - try to see if a MONO8 availability (in the top list of the right window) is able to either tell your camera to combine the three colours of your colour camera to make effectively a MONO image. (Colouring of captures is done at a post-processing stage in whatever processing program you have available, such as PhotoShop, PaintShopPro (with many others available as already, details of which - have been posted here on other SolarChat pages)...

The excellent SharpCap "HELP" menu may assist with that and most other problems...

(You may even be able to get-rid of those "Dust-Bunnies" during a post-processing stage too !!!)

You will only need somewhere between 8ms to 20ms (very approximately) for capturing surface-detail/AR/Sunspots etc. and try several single-frames captures as the "SNAPSHOT" tab, which will or should be able to send those captures immediately to a "SharpCap Captures" folder - opened on your pc-desktop.

Further images will be added to that folder and to change to a new-"SharpCap Captures" folder - automatically on the desk-top as well, simply name the first folder with say a date-time or details of what it contains (your preference)...

If you decide to try for a prominence capture, then the images acquisition-times will need to be increased slightly - showing a white-disk in mono and then looking around the limb, if any proms are visible you should see them and snap away !!!

The amount of any accurate exposure-times is dependent on the "seeing conditions" for any astro-photography, but as long as the Sun is visible, you can usually get at least something captured.

A recommendation before a viewing/imaging session, is to look at the Solar Dynamics Observatory (satellite imagery) as "SDO" to see what is visible to us, as well as other invisible lines of light. These are usually updated every 30-minutes approximately and subject to operational requirements.
Always check the date/time groups at the bottom of each - is a good idea too. (All times are UTC/GMT/Z times).
https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/ and also https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html are very useful websites for that purpose.

I think that's enough for y0u to get used to for starters and will be looking forward to seeing some results soon.

Please note that all SolarChat posted images from any of us, should be in the JPEG/JPG format and only up to just below 2-Megabytyes each, as even much lower will usually show sufficient detail and save chocking-up the Solar-Chat viewing-times, as well as saving our Stephen R., further issues with funding SolarChat... !!! Thanks vm

Attached are just two of the relevant-images from SDO for today...

CLEAR SKIES
Regards
Terry
Attachments
7-5-2021 SDO1228z latest_512_0304.jpg
7-5-2021 SDO1228z latest_512_0304.jpg (57.44 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
7-5-2021 1059z latest_512_HMII.jpg
7-5-2021 1059z latest_512_HMII.jpg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 2686 times

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Ivan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:58 pmI want to understand this problem is common and what is the matter here.
It's perfectly normal, all Lunt 50 scopes show a sweet spot, larger or smaller but is there. What matters are the extension and the position, it shall be large enough to tune the full disc and shall also be on or very close to the optical axis otherwise while imaging one have to put the disc in an off-axis position where the image may become aberrated. The BF may contribute for the better or the worse.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Raf for your input.

To get Ivan into getting some initial images of some quality, it is necessary to concentrate on just getting surface details such as Sun-spots first, before delving into prominences, otherwise things will get confusing. I'm sure, as you already have a LS50, that any techniques that you already have experienced in the past, could become useful later on - to Ivan...

Prominences can follow when the first stages are successfully-completed and Ivan can post some sample images here for any further advice - if needed...

I believe in keeping things as simple as possible at first, before over-complicating matters, in order to clear-up the basic problems and get Ivan into taking and hopefully posting on SolarChat - his results.

Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the detailed instructions, Terry.

I couldn't focus with my monochrome camera, which I just didn't try. The focus is only with the Barlow lens.

Today I managed to record several videos with a color camera. The sun came out for a few minutes and then it was again covered by clouds.

This is my first time using SharpCap. So far, I'm just figuring it out. Much is not clear, for example, why the camera is in color, and the video turned out to be monochrome and without debayering. I'll post them as soon as I can bring them back to normal :). I also did not understand how to make a color image black and white. But I can handle this.

I made a few conclusions:

1. Looking through the eyepiece and adjusting the pressure, I did not notice any changes in the visibility of the surface or prominences. Those. I do not see any perceptible change in brightness. (If you use a camera, then twisting the tuner, the brightness changes, this is clearly visible on the monitor). And through the eyepiece I was able to either see both the chromosphere and the protrusions, or not see any details.

2. The image in the eyepiece, in my opinion, is very bright and low-contrast. I wanted to attach a lunar filter to muffle it.

3. Most importantly, you turned out to be right, the point is in setting the etalon or in the etalon itself. I also recorded this process, and as soon as I can bring the video back to normal, I'll post it. I am still judging this carefully, but these "spots" of illumination disappear if you twist the tuner a little more, although this darkens the other part of the Sun's disk a little.

And yet, the "spots" of illumination are not something burnt out, reducing the exposure can show details of the chromosphere on them, although the other part of the disk will remain without details at all.

4. I took a close look at the optical surfaces of the diagonal with blocking filter and the camera matrix. There is micro-dust that is very difficult to see. I've always been careful with optics and of course I use caps and caps, but where that big Dust Bunnies comes from, I don't know. When you rotate the camera, it stays in place.

Thanks for the links.

Ivan
Last edited by Ivan on Sat May 08, 2021 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Ivan, I'm so sorry to say, that I have fully replied to your last post of 9:24 pm today and even included an image as attached here, but everything failed to get posted here and after over an hour doing the necessary working-out and replying, I have run-out of time tonight to repeat that.

There is now though a possibility that an Etalon problem is the cause and I will refer to another post about that as well...

I can only add the image of what roughly the brightness only - through any EP should look like through your LS-50 set-up and certainly no amount brighter...

I'll try and get some time during Saturday to repeat my answers to your latest post.

Best Wishes
Terry
Attachments
20210505_002138 Bright-reduction.jpg
20210505_002138 Bright-reduction.jpg (59.93 KiB) Viewed 2642 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

krakatoa1883 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:41 pm
Ivan wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:58 pmI want to understand this problem is common and what is the matter here.
It's perfectly normal, all Lunt 50 scopes show a sweet spot, larger or smaller but is there. What matters are the extension and the position, it shall be large enough to tune the full disc and shall also be on or very close to the optical axis otherwise while imaging one have to put the disc in an off-axis position where the image may become aberrated. The BF may contribute for the better or the worse.
Hi Ivan.

Looking at the vids on Flickr, i'm in complete agreement with Raf, what you're seeing is the sweetspot. It's offset is either a result of etalon slop or the focuser not being orthogonal to the optical axis.

The Lunt 50 is the budget end of Lunts line, and the nature of solarscopes (regardless of manufacturer) is that the cost is a reflection of the engineering you get with it. I hated the focuser on my Lunt50 and replaced it, in the end I hated the offset sweetspot (result of etalon slop not focuser with mine) to the point now I simply don't bother using it, at some point i'll get round to selling it.

Some people are perfectly happy with the Lunt 50 and these engineering compromises aren't ever a bother or an issue, for some folk the compromises are an issue. In the latter case then people need to be looking at the Lunt60. You can see how the prices rack up as the quality of the focuser and the size of the blocker increases...

Mark

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello again Ivan, My post now has just crossed paths with Mark T, who I asked for his advice.

Rather than repeating that which I tried to send you yesterday, when the weather allows, please take a number of still/single frames with some slow-ish exposure speeds/mSecs of just the whole disk tuned as best as you can with the Etalon adjustment for the surface detail/AR-spots and also retune for prominences.

I have done some reading-up of the possibility of a Decontacted Etalon, which can happen due to severe-knocks and even due to parcel-handling during transit.

So in that possible case, where did you buy it from and where was it delivered to as your home country ???

It seems it is still under warranty, so if so - there is a probability that if you have never been able to get a decent view though it, it may still be under warranty for this problem and be repairable by Lunt. Lunt have a European sales-section as Lunt EU in Germany. Depending on where you purchased it from, there may be a need to return it to the seller.

This has not yet been confirmed as the fault, as insufficient still-images have been seen at present.

If any other reader of this post can review all the posts relating to this problem here and can confirm or deny the possible fault of the scope itself, it would help - thanks in advance.

Terry

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks you Mark and your comments do make sense.

The only other possible problem then could be the Etalon, but do need more still images with various settings and adjustments.

Thanks vm
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the answer, Mark.
It is very wise, in the end, like much in life, it is a compromise.
Ivan

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the answer Terry!

What I see through the eyepiece is much brighter than the picture you sent me. I see a very bright disk of the sun. I really want to dim the brightness with some kind of filter in order to comfortably observe.

This link to the video of setting the pressure tuner is what you asked me to do at the very beginning (excuse me, but I compressed the video in an online program and she left her logo): https://flic.kr/p/2kXknVm there you can see that the pressure is adjusted unevenly, I suppose this is normal. And there is a "spot" of illumination in the left corner, but by twisting the tuner a little more (in the video I unscrewed and twisted it almost completely), the "spot" disappears! I didn't have enough time to twist the blocking filter and see if the stain would appear in other positions, but I will do it as soon as the weather permits again. Shooting parameters: Gain = 45 Exposure = 0.929 Offset = 32

I will also take single shots with different shutter speeds, as you advised.

Do you think my problem could have arisen from the fact that I simply did not tighten the tuner?
I bought it in the USA from the Lunt Solar Systems online store in March 2021 (it is under warranty).

Thank you Ivan

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:53 pm I have done some reading-up of the possibility of a Decontacted Etalon, which can happen due to severe-knocks and even due to parcel-handling during transit.
The etalon is not decontacted, you can clearly see in the last video the proms and active region tune in and out.

What I can see is the disk is way overexposed. Use the histogram feature in your capture software and keep the histogram at 75%.

Mark

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thank you Mark.

Yesterday I forgot to attach a screenshot with the settings, you can see a histogram there. I tried decreasing the exposure, but then details disappear on the disk of the Sun, or it is difficult to see them. As soon as the weather permits (it's cloudy here) I'll try again.

Thank you for your help. Ivan
Attachments
14_39.jpg
14_39.jpg (391.14 KiB) Viewed 2395 times

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Ivan and Mark has confirmed now that from that latest video and the screenshot too, that the Etalon and PT are working fine.

This is purely a problem now of PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and of course weather permitting too...

For Eyepiece viewing only, perhaps the use of adding an adjustable POLARIZOR-FILTER set to a comfortable level will assist... DO NOT PUT ANY FILTER IN FRONT OF THE BLOCKING-FILTER - AS IS LIKELY TO BE DESTROYED.

Otherwise exactly as Mark has confirmed, for imaging and watching the histogram change when making adjustments to the camera-settings such as getting the Exposure just-above and just-below the 1.08ms times, will allow you to see the Surface Detail and the Prominences - together or separately.

Post-processing techniques will usually improve the captures and will even likely allow you to change from a colour image to B&W or any other colouring and brightness/contrast adjustment too...

Please keep up the good work Ivan and keep those preferable still captures coming-in here, before going on to taking movie-files for stacking etc., later on - when you have well go to grips with the basics.

Thank you Mark and now we and of course Ivan is getting somewhere..

Regards to all
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thank you Terry

Your help is invaluable to me, I have learned so much, thank you.

Today, for the first time in these days, it was a quiet night and I was not disturbed by these "spots" :)

It seems the weather is getting better, in the coming days, I think I will be able to shoot single shots with different exposures. Can you recommend gain and offset settings for these?

Thank you,

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Ivan for your kind comments and some of the advice was also down to Mark T., as well as your last posted image of the screen-shot.

The only spots that really disturb me are usually those that seem to appear from nowhere on my computer-screens, but I can put up- with those until I get to clean them off :)

Still not knowing which country you reside in, I can only vouch for my location in S.E.England, where today temperature at last - rose to around 20-degsC - which was about time to, but this brought in too much cloud for an imaging session, so hopefully Monday will be better...

Yes indeed I hope you can get some of the single-frames to be able to further process in whatever image processing program you have and share either on this post-page or on the main "This is SolarChat" page - where of course many others can also see those and make relevant comments and never-ever any dis-heartening comments. You can post on both pages if you wish for the moment - of course...

I only use PaintShopPro and some other useful processing programs, but not Adobe PhotoShop, as I find that unnecessarily hard to get my head around and of little extra value than using PSP and some other progs.

Finally it is difficult to accurately forecast what settings/gains should be adapted before a "Snapshot" or even a movie capture, but as Mark T. said earlier, try and use the histogram to guide you, as well as particularly looking at the screen-image from the camera and use some experimenting and then snap away and see the results. Each astro-imager might prefer to use his/her own settings and there is still the opportunity in the post-processing stage to make further adjustments (usually)... The brightness of the Sun in not so clear skies will also dictate those variable settings.
Pencil & paper might help for notes and PRACTICE, PRACTICE & more PRACTICE...

You can of course send me some un-post-processed images in JPEG form of no more than 2Mbytes per image on this post, where I will quite happily try and post-process them and return to you what I have done... Please though, just remember that many of us do tend to prefer different results...

I'm so glad that you have gotten this far and hope your weather allows you more improvements in due course and equally glad to be of help and will continue to help as required...

Best wishes
Terry

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Ivan, now knowing that you have Photoshop, I can't give you much help with that program, but just came across this useful web-link for SharpCap downloading which will give you some tips. just bear in mind that your camera(s) are believed to be more suitable for DeepSky/Planetary imaging and may be a tad too sensitive for the bright Sun-light, so as you are beginning to realise that the exposures settings will be much less than for DS type light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zD4EIGBess and no doubt many others for a web search, as well as for Photoshop techniques for processing etc., Solar-imagery and also for AutoStakkert and many other useful tutorials from the web...

I trust that info also assists you.

Cheers
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the answer, Terry.

I don't like dust either, but I'm even afraid to breathe towards BF :) it's easier with cameras.

I live in Russia, in the central part.
Today we have +15 C ° and it's clear.

I think tomorrow (the weather forecast promises that it will be clear) I can take a series of pictures and post them in this thread.

Great link there for a complete guide, thanks a lot!

Thank you and Mark.

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Many thanks for the reply and you are sounding more confident now since May 8th, which is good.

It's between 18 and 20-degsC here with about 50% cloud-cover, so maybe get some imaging shortly.

You've certainly got some useful targets to capture - if you can, so that will be useful. It will be very interesting to see your captures of the Sun-spots and any proms too.

Best Wishes and CLEAR SKIES
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Hi Terry.

Today I tried to shoot with a monochrome camera. Video 1000 frames, I stacked 30% using a 2X Barlow lens. SharpCap does not support qhy img0s, so all settings are in print screen.

I also shot a few single shots with a color camera. You said that you could try to process my pictures. I'll post them a little later. I can also upload the captured video for processing. I don't like my attempt at processing.

Best wishes, Ivan
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (368.36 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
12.05.21.jpg
12.05.21.jpg (386.03 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I think you have done a cracking job at processing. That's a fabulous start. What are you using for sharpening? you need to use a smaller amount to get the very fine detail come through. The Lunt50 looks great!

Alexandra

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

[quote=Montana post_id=291835 time=1620811381 user_id=80]
I think you have done a cracking job at processing. That's a fabulous start. What are you using for sharpening? you need to use a smaller amount to get the very fine detail come through. The Lunt50 looks great!

Alexandra
[/quote]

Hello Alexandra.

Thanks for your comment and advice to use fewer frames.

For sharpening, I use deconvolution in the free version of Astra image.

I was very worried about my "problem", but it turned out that everything was not so bad. I've never figured it out without the help of Terry, Mark, GreatAttractor and Raf.

Ivan
Attachments
20210512_124228.jpg
20210512_124228.jpg (722.77 KiB) Viewed 2297 times

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank Ivan.

I'll have to look into your latest post a little later today, as unavailable for about 3-hours.

Thanks vm
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Ivan, Greatattractor developed a superb sharpening tool specific to solar imaging called ImPPG. Download it for free and have a try, it will give you a much greater ability to finely adjust the Lucy Richardson deconvolution. At the moment you have it set quite aggressive. If you try ImPPG it is less aggressive and will reveal smaller fine detail.

As regards stacking, only stack the best. If you have 1000 frames try stacking 5, 10 and 20% and see which reveals the finer details vs noise.

Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Ivan again.

You have obviously produced an excellent image - showing the relevant detail as your last posted one. Very well achieved.

I am not sufficiently experienced to go any further with advising you what will improving your techniques for any better imaging.

So I'll leave it here for others to advise you further.

Best Wishes
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:54 pm Hello Ivan again.

You have obviously produced an excellent image - showing the relevant detail as your last posted one. Very well achieved.

I am not sufficiently experienced to go any further with advising you what will improving your techniques for any better imaging.

So I'll leave it here for others to advise you further.

Best Wishes
Terry

Terry, I couldn't have done it without your invaluable help.

Ivan

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Montana wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:37 pm Ivan, Greatattractor developed a superb sharpening tool specific to solar imaging called ImPPG. Download it for free and have a try, it will give you a much greater ability to finely adjust the Lucy Richardson deconvolution. At the moment you have it set quite aggressive. If you try ImPPG it is less aggressive and will reveal smaller fine detail.

As regards stacking, only stack the best. If you have 1000 frames try stacking 5, 10 and 20% and see which reveals the finer details vs noise.

Alexandra

Alexandra,

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, I will definitely try to add fewer frames and ImPPG.

Ivan

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Looks like the scope is fine to me.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Yes Ivan, exactly as Mark has confirmed, you can sleep with a "sigh of relief" that all is well with the scope.

It has been a pleasure to be involved with helping you start into Solar-imaging and looking forward to seeing your images - over the page on SolarChat and to join-in with the fantastic images there. I know you will also join in the fun of getting the credits you will deserve, from seeing the one you posted here.

Regards
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

marktownley wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:40 pm Looks like the scope is fine to me.
Thanks a lot Mark.
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 pm Yes Ivan, exactly as Mark has confirmed, you can sleep with a "sigh of relief" that all is well with the scope.

It has been a pleasure to be involved with helping you start into Solar-imaging and looking forward to seeing your images - over the page on SolarChat and to join-in with the fantastic images there. I know you will also join in the fun of getting the credits you will deserve, from seeing the one you posted here.

Regards
Terry
Thanks a lot Terry.

Thank you guys for helping me, trying to figure it out and give advice. Only thanks to your help, I did not fall into despair!

Also thanks to GreatAttractor, Raf and Alexandra.

Ivan