Aries SAFIX for CaK and Ha

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Aries SAFIX for CaK and Ha

Post by Valery »

Hello,

Some solar gangs have an Aries SAFIX in their hands. Here I can answer the questions how to use this device
for nullifying a Spherical Aberration (SA) in their telescopes at these wave lengths - CaK (393nm) and Ha (656nm).

Here some photo samples of SAFIX work with 100mm F/10 refractor at it's full throttle now.
Attachments
SAFIX-1.jpg
SAFIX-2.jpg
SAFIX-2.jpg (217.31 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
SAFIX-3.jpg
SAFIX-4.jpg
SAFIX-5.jpg
Last edited by Valery on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Aries SAFIX for CaK and Ha

Post by marktownley »

First question - when can I buy one? :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Valery

whats the delivery time and how about costs?

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
eroel

Post by eroel »

Valery:
The Safix was bought around the beginning of 2003, it came with the helical unit that houses some sort of optics that give a negative view, some adapters for different focal length ratios, a very nice engraved Ronchi ruling on a yellow glass filter, and a steel ball bearing (artificial star).
I had them inside nice and low profile topperware type case, don´t recall if it came with it or that I bought it to keep the kit clean. Checked the parts and are like new, the optics very clear and spotless.
I remember that i used it on my 12" f/10 SCT, but it was so well corrected that I could not improve it with Safix. (the SCT was hand picked after testing many many equal scopes and I still keep it)
That is why i lost track of this very fine piece of spherical aberration corrector that is of your creation.
BTW, lost the instructions and don´t remember how to use it. :-(
Thanks for looking and helping me get it going again.
Best regards,
Eric.
Safix.jpg
Safix.jpg (222.09 KiB) Viewed 5350 times

Valery

Post by Valery »

swisswalter wrote:Hi Valery

swisswalter wrote:Hi Valery

I have only 6 samples of SAFIX from the last batch we have made for american dealer many years ago. There were only two, but I found at the store some (four) more.
I also found telecompressor lenses for SAFIX - to make them more usable with long F/D telescopes.

SAFIX itself with the compressor - $800.
Last edited by Valery on Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Valery

Post by Valery »

Today I tested the SAFIX and was impressed with the picture it delivers. And I was partially lucky with the image stability and this is in Ca-K !!!
When I started to adjust the SA correction, the seeing cooperates!!! I can't believe my eyes! Almost perfect seeing and in any case the best I
have ever seeing in Ca-K. I saw on the screen the tiniest filaments in the penumbra of two sun spots and the fine structure around them.
When I rotate the SAFIX's barrel it was clear difference between the image sharpness and details at different positions of the barrel indicator.
I found that position -3 was the best. Of course, my trusty PGR camera was ready to record the results. However, when I was finally convinced
that -3 is the best position for the best sharpness and start to record the movie, the seeing starts to worsens. So the lucky time was about 5-7min
may be 10min, not longer.

I will post some individual frames and averaged frames so, you will see the results of the SAFIX use.

eroel

Post by eroel »

Valery:
What compression do you get as it comes?
Does it work for normal imaging or is just for Safix use?
As for the photo of my kit, can you tell me what version is it?
Regards,
Eric.

Valery

Post by Valery »

eroel wrote:Valery:
What compression do you get as it comes?
Does it work for normal imaging or is just for Safix use?
As for the photo of my kit, can you tell me what version is it?
Regards,
Eric.
Eric,

I do not remember the compression by telecompressor, something about 0,8 - 0,75x. It is only for SAFIX use and, partially can be used like GSO 0,5x reducer,
but need to make an interface adapter between the compressor and the camera entrance. It will have better image quality than 0.5x reducer.

Your version of the SAFIX is the very first one. It is identical optically, mechanically to the latest version, where I use a 1.25" diagonal instead of extention tube
F/7-8 and F/10-15. Your version is perfect for use with your refractors.

Valery.
Last edited by Valery on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Valery

one is sold to switzerland :) Please drop me an email to confirm
Last edited by swisswalter on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
eroel

Post by eroel »

Valery:
Thanks for your answer and support.
BTW, forgot to ask the clear diameter of the compressor.
As for the Safix, I would like to know how to use it either for Catadioptric scopes and or refractors.
For the CaK modification, I am thinking of using an old Meade 102mm f/9 refractor, that gives very nice and crisp images, will try Safix on it, but just tell me how to use it.
Looks incredible, but I used the Safix once and it was 11 years ago, then guarded it so good that it was very hard to find it a few weeks ago, imagine, I thought that I had the Chromacor instead of the Safix. :-((
Best wishes,
Eric.

Valery

Post by Valery »

eroel wrote:Valery:
Thanks for your answer and support.
BTW, forgot to ask the clear diameter of the compressor.
As for the Safix, I would like to know how to use it either for Catadioptric scopes and or refractors.
For the CaK modification, I am thinking of using an old Meade 102mm f/9 refractor, that gives very nice and crisp images, will try Safix on it, but just tell me how to use it.
Looks incredible, but I used the Safix once and it was 11 years ago, then guarded it so good that it was very hard to find it a few weeks ago, imagine, I thought that I had the Chromacor instead of the Safix. :-((
Best wishes,
Eric.
Eric,

The telescope for use with CaK PST modification must be F/10. If it gives a nice image, then it will work fine with SAFIX with F/10 or F/8 extention tube.

Later I will put detailed instruction how to use the SAFIX for in CaK line imaging.

Yesterday and today I used my 100mm F/10 telescope with SAFIX. The results are just stunning. I will post the photos here and there, so all can see what can be
achieved with such a small telescope coupled with SAFIX for total eliminating of SA at the 393nm wave length.

eroel

Post by eroel »

Valery:
Thanks again.
Waiting for your Safix results with a 100mm refractor, as also with the instructions to use it for CaK and other wavelengths.
Have a nice day,
Eric.

Valery

Post by Valery »

I added some photos taken with SAFIX in place in my 100mm CaK (SS) telescope rig.

The telescope rig now as follow: B&W 80A ERF > Edmund Optics 11nm blocker > #1 CaK PST> SAFIX > Barlow lens > #2 PST blocker > camera.

As for SAFIX availability. There are only 6 samples remained for sale. Two of them already are preserved for Bob Yeasly and Walter. I believe that Mark Townley
is also in the pool (confirm, Mark if so).
So, only three samples remained really. Hope they will be ordered by our CaK fans.

I can ship them only when all samples will be ordered. This will minimize the cost of my custom broker work and customs fee.

Let me add, that SAFIC can be used also with refractors worked at H-a 656nm wave length as well as with any telescope which
has any noticeable SA.

For now I have no plans to re-start the SAFIX production.

Thanks,

Valery.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Yes, i'm in! :)

Email me with details of how we proceed :)

P.S. - don't use the #2 pst cak filter, you will get better results without it ;)

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

marktownley wrote:Yes, i'm in! :)

P.S. - don't use the #2 pst cak filter, you will get better results without it ;)
OK, you are IN.

BTW. I tried with and without #2 and found that EO has enough leackage and that with #2 the contrast, especially at the
sun edge and for prominences are higher. The reason is in the EO blocker. The K-line is better and in the case of K-line you
are right. But try only a half of K-line and see.

Valery.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Excellent news valery! That's great! :cool:

I had / have the same problem with my EO 387/11nm filter that I also use as a blocker. I use in addition a piece of AR coated KG3 from Thorlabs with the EO and it solves the issue ;)

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

OK I am 'in' if I am not too late. I have just had permission from the boss as he is interested in it for his Celestron. Anything to help focus on that thing!

Just out of interest I managed to get the data for my scope

140mm - 0.52 PV 0.40
120mm - 0.24 PV 0.83
100mm - 0.10 PV 0.96

PV and strehl numbers so I am good anyway at 100mm stopped.

Alexandra

Valery

Post by Valery »

Montana wrote:OK I am 'in' if I am not too late. I have just had permission from the boss as he is interested in it for his Celestron. Anything to help focus on that thing!

Just out of interest I managed to get the data for my scope

140mm - 0.52 PV 0.40
120mm - 0.24 PV 0.83
100mm - 0.10 PV 0.96

PV and strehl numbers so I am good anyway at 100mm stopped.

Alexandra
OK, you are "in". But if the SAFIX will be used for SCT, then this has it's own specific details.

Are these numbers for 393nm wave length? Looks too optimistic. I will check similar designs.

Valery.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

No, hubbys Celestron is a C102 refractor not an SCT.

The figures for my scope came direct from Yuri so I am sure it is right and it is for 393nm.

Kind regards
Alexandra

Valery

Post by Valery »

Hi Mark,

Have you received the e-mail from me about that details how to proceed?

Valery.

Valery

Post by Valery »

I have performed the test SAFIX vs NO SAFIX .

http://solarchat.natca.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12516

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote:

Hi Mark,

Have you received the e-mail from me about that details how to proceed?

Valery.
Sorry Valery, been slow in replying, I have replied now though...

papamidnight
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by papamidnight »

White light benefits? Unsure of the construction of the SAFIX :)

Valery

Post by Valery »

papamidnight wrote:White light benefits? Unsure of the construction of the SAFIX :)
The SAFIX was designed for compensation (nullifying) of a Spherical Aberration (SA) in telescopes which suffer of SA.
SAFIX maximizes the telescope performance. It was purposed for planetary observation with SCT, chinese 6" achromats
and other telescopes.

So, SAFIX benefit in white light fully depends of how bad a SA in a given telescope. The worser SA in a given telescope, the
higher the benefit of the SAFIX use. All refectors (except Tak TOA-130, 150) suffer of SA at 393nm and as larger the aperture
and as faster the F/D, as worser SA at the 393nm.
At 656nm (H-a) this effect is less apparent, but still here and SAFIX can help too.

Valery.