Help with Baader ND3.8 Solar film

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Help with Baader ND3.8 Solar film

Post by Montana »

I am just making my solar filter for my camera. I have cut everything out, however, everywhere on the web they say remove the thin film of plastic first from the foil. I can't see any plastic film over it? I have tried and tried with an off cut and it just looks like paper thin foil. There is also nothing in the instructions that came with it that says to remove anything either. Am I missing something? I am also annoyed because they give you an A4 sheet but they have stuck an enormous sticker over a third of it which means it is useless. Not impressed about that.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards
Alexandra

GreatAttractor
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Help with Baader ND3.8 Solar film

Post by GreatAttractor »

Alexandra, you don't always get the protective plastic (I had it both ways).

My software:
Stackistry — an open-source cross-platform image stacker
ImPPG — stack post-processing and animation alignment
My images

SW Mak-Cass 127, ATM Hα scopes (90 mm, 200 mm), Lunt LS50THa, ATM SSM, ATM Newt 300/1500 mm, PGR Chameleon 3 mono (ICX445)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks, it can't be on there, the hubby agrees, it is like gold leaf, wafer thin.

Alexandra

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alexandra

where the h... did you get that foil from? the sticker should be on the plastik bag that protects the foil. the foil it self should be on one or between two thin paper sheets. If it is how you described, and I do not doubt a millisecond, send it back and ask for a proper replacement

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

It came free with my Baader K line (which is blurred). I am annoyed about the sticker slapped on it which says this is for photographic not visual, yes, it ruins the foil!

It is wafer thin and between two sheets of very thin paper. Through an off cut I can see clearly the three little elements in my LED light bulb, it doesn't look blurred. I guess I might just stick it all together and hope for the best ;)

Alexandra

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

How pathetic - that stuff isn't cheap and the ND3.8 isn't easy to track down; I've been looking for some for a while :evil:

I didn't realise that there was a plastic film when I first used it many years ago but fortunately it still worked OK with the plastic in place with my crude gear.
When I made a filter for my Equinox120 last year (before I got the Baader wedge) it took me about 10 minutes to 'find' the plastic and I was convinced that it didn't exist :oops:
It was not at all obvious - but I bent the corner of the film back and forth a few times, rubbed between slightly dampened fingers until eventually the layers separated. It was then very easy to peel off. Also found that scratching/picking on the film with a pin would start the separation.
Not trying to drive you to distraction - any ******** who puts a sticker over the film could be selling you 'reject junk' but I didn't believe the plastic was there - until I found it :lol: :roll: :lol:

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

There can't be any film, I had a piece I played with this morning with wetted fingers and I managed to totally mangle it, still can't find any film. On all the Baader sites of how to build a filter and my instructions which came with it, none say anything about a plastic coat? So I have just stuck it all together now.

Maybe the film comes on the ND5? there is no reference anywhere on the web.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

just do a trial before the 20th to check it works ;)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

:hamster: :hamster: :hamster: When my parents left at 5pm, the Sun was out. This was taken through the upstairs window and the Sun was in between two roofs.

I managed to get the spot :hamster: :hamster: :hamster:
DSC02212.jpg
I'm really happy :) This was a JPEG, I tried the recommended RAW that everyone says about, but I can't open the files on the computer or in any program I have so that is a bit useless.

This is a single image, please remember this isn't through a telescope but on the cameras maximum zoom. I just want to be able to get the eclipse :)

Alexandra

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

Certainly working :band

You should get some good shots with that set-up. Stimulated me to sort out something for my Canon 300mm as a back up for the solar scope I will be using at the outreach event with my club - if the weather cooperates :roll:

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Alexandra

congratulations on the first light with the ND 3.8 foil

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)