How would a quark work with this setup?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Denniina
The Sun?
The Sun?

How would a quark work with this setup?

Post by Denniina »

Hello, I am planning to purchase a daystar quark chromosphere and thinking whether or not I could use it with our observatorys big "6 refractor with 2000mm focal length WITH an etalon in front of the telescope instead an ERF?

Question #2, Since the telescope already has focal ratio of around f/14 and the quark works as a 4.3x barlow, it would make the focal length around 8400mm and focal ratio of like f56... how does the quark work with such incredibly slow telescope?

I would also use it with my own william optics zenithstar 73, which has focal length of 430mm, but main interest is using the big scope with an asi290mm camera.

Heres the scope with the etalon I was talking about (no idea about the details of the etalon). Thanks for replies in advance.

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: How would a quark work with this setup?

Post by bart1805 »

Is that a 6 cm etalon?
If combined with a Quark yor focal ratio would be something like this:
(4.3×2000)/60 = f/143. It will not work. Even with a focal reducer there is not enough light.

Denniina
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Denniina »

bart1805 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:23 am Is that a 6 cm etalon?
If combined with a Quark yor focal ratio would be something like this:
(4.3×2000)/60 = f/143. It will not work. Even with a focal reducer there is not enough light.
Oh right, I forgot to consider the diameter of the etalon and used the aperture of the telescope instead. Well yeah, sounds bad.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

You need a Quark combo, not the one with the 4.3x telecentric built in. With the Quark combo and you f14 6" scope a 2x powermate would work great.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Denniina
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Denniina »

marktownley wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:25 pm You need a Quark combo, not the one with the 4.3x telecentric built in. With the Quark combo and you f14 6" scope a 2x powermate would work great.
Sweet, thanks for the reply. More questions if I may, I have found a combo prominence version for £850 from a random retailer. Elsewhere they are a around £1100, meaning I would get this one a bit cheaper, but is prominence significantly inferior to chromosphere in your opinion?

Also, I have heard a few times already that you would want a powermate over some regular barlow for h-alpha. Does this mean my hyperion 2.25x barlow would not do the job and I would need to invest in a powermate collection? And I also read that it is okay just to put an uv/ir cut-filter in front of the diagonal, so there is no need for an expensive ERF in front of the scope. Does this apply to "6 refractor as well?

Thanks in advance!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hiya,

Personally, I would spend the extra and go for the chromosphere version, the prom version will show lovely proms as the name suggests, but, with a new solar cycle starting you will only wish you had the chromosphere as it gives more contrasty views of the surface.

A rear mounted etalon like a quark needs a telecentric beam to work in, this is produced by a powermate. A barlow doesn't produce a telecentric beam - that's something different.

A 2" UV/IR filter infront of the diagonal is probably pushing it a bit for longer term observation, you'll find the filter gets heated up and goes off band. You could use a 2" 35nm (or 7nm) Ha filter between the diagonal and UV/IR, but if i'm being honest a front aperture ERF especially on a larger scope like this is by far the best choice...

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Any more pics of that scope and obs too? Looks cool!