How bring ASI174MM in focus with PST solar telescope

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Jordan Konisky
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

How bring ASI174MM in focus with PST solar telescope

Post by Jordan Konisky »

My query relates to focusing my PST40 while using it with a ZWO ASI174mm video camera. To bring the system into focus I use a 2X Barlow lens (bottom only) screwed on to the nose of the camera. As discussed elsewhere in this forum, this solves the problem of bringing this camera into focus with the PST 40. While this works ok, I have found that to bring the solar edge into sharpest focus, requires that I rotate the focusing knob clockwise as far as it will go, that is, until it is tightened down all the way. I would prefer that the position of the knob at edge-focus would provide me flexibility on both the counterclockwise and clockwise sides of the focus point. The ability to move across the focus in both directions would give more confidence in establishing the best focus. Any suggestions on how I might further adapt my setup to address this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jordan -
SkyWatcher ED100 Refractor with Diamond Steeltrack Crawford Focuser
Celestron CG4 Equatorial Mount
Daystar Quark H-Alpha Chromosphere
Lunt CaK B1800 Filter Module
Lunt White Light Solar Wedge
ZWO ASI174MM, ZWOASI1600MM Cameras
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: How bring ASI174MM in focus with PST solar telescope

Post by marktownley »

Hi Jordan,

Get a shorter nosepiece for the camera.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Mark,

suppose you mean ZWO's low profile nosepiece. That is prohlematic on an ASI174. (seems then you need to remove the protective window)
ZWO says: "PS: this new cover can not hold the protect window of ASI174MM/MC, so you need an external 1.25″ filter"

Paul

Rusted
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Rusted »

The filter problem with the ASI174 is discussed on the ASI website related to the low profile cover. "Adapter" would seem a better term.

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/pr ... file-cover

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Yes, that is the one but as you can see on this image the protective window is in the back parts that you need to unscrew to place the part. (other cams have that over the sensor) So you need an extra filter at least for dust protection.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (27.04 KiB) Viewed 3269 times

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Change the distance between the Barlow nosepiece and the camera, maybe put in 10 mm extension, should shift the focal position far enough to get away from the end stop of the thread. At the end stop the penta prism will be pushed off square which is why one edge of the disk is out of focus with respect to the other.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!