Problem with Lunt 50

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Problem with Lunt 50

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Thanks you Mark and your comments do make sense.

The only other possible problem then could be the Etalon, but do need more still images with various settings and adjustments.

Thanks vm
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the answer, Mark.
It is very wise, in the end, like much in life, it is a compromise.
Ivan

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the answer Terry!

What I see through the eyepiece is much brighter than the picture you sent me. I see a very bright disk of the sun. I really want to dim the brightness with some kind of filter in order to comfortably observe.

This link to the video of setting the pressure tuner is what you asked me to do at the very beginning (excuse me, but I compressed the video in an online program and she left her logo): https://flic.kr/p/2kXknVm there you can see that the pressure is adjusted unevenly, I suppose this is normal. And there is a "spot" of illumination in the left corner, but by twisting the tuner a little more (in the video I unscrewed and twisted it almost completely), the "spot" disappears! I didn't have enough time to twist the blocking filter and see if the stain would appear in other positions, but I will do it as soon as the weather permits again. Shooting parameters: Gain = 45 Exposure = 0.929 Offset = 32

I will also take single shots with different shutter speeds, as you advised.

Do you think my problem could have arisen from the fact that I simply did not tighten the tuner?
I bought it in the USA from the Lunt Solar Systems online store in March 2021 (it is under warranty).

Thank you Ivan

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:53 pm I have done some reading-up of the possibility of a Decontacted Etalon, which can happen due to severe-knocks and even due to parcel-handling during transit.
The etalon is not decontacted, you can clearly see in the last video the proms and active region tune in and out.

What I can see is the disk is way overexposed. Use the histogram feature in your capture software and keep the histogram at 75%.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thank you Mark.

Yesterday I forgot to attach a screenshot with the settings, you can see a histogram there. I tried decreasing the exposure, but then details disappear on the disk of the Sun, or it is difficult to see them. As soon as the weather permits (it's cloudy here) I'll try again.

Thank you for your help. Ivan
Attachments
14_39.jpg
14_39.jpg (391.14 KiB) Viewed 2397 times

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Ivan and Mark has confirmed now that from that latest video and the screenshot too, that the Etalon and PT are working fine.

This is purely a problem now of PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE and of course weather permitting too...

For Eyepiece viewing only, perhaps the use of adding an adjustable POLARIZOR-FILTER set to a comfortable level will assist... DO NOT PUT ANY FILTER IN FRONT OF THE BLOCKING-FILTER - AS IS LIKELY TO BE DESTROYED.

Otherwise exactly as Mark has confirmed, for imaging and watching the histogram change when making adjustments to the camera-settings such as getting the Exposure just-above and just-below the 1.08ms times, will allow you to see the Surface Detail and the Prominences - together or separately.

Post-processing techniques will usually improve the captures and will even likely allow you to change from a colour image to B&W or any other colouring and brightness/contrast adjustment too...

Please keep up the good work Ivan and keep those preferable still captures coming-in here, before going on to taking movie-files for stacking etc., later on - when you have well go to grips with the basics.

Thank you Mark and now we and of course Ivan is getting somewhere..

Regards to all
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thank you Terry

Your help is invaluable to me, I have learned so much, thank you.

Today, for the first time in these days, it was a quiet night and I was not disturbed by these "spots" :)

It seems the weather is getting better, in the coming days, I think I will be able to shoot single shots with different exposures. Can you recommend gain and offset settings for these?

Thank you,

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Ivan for your kind comments and some of the advice was also down to Mark T., as well as your last posted image of the screen-shot.

The only spots that really disturb me are usually those that seem to appear from nowhere on my computer-screens, but I can put up- with those until I get to clean them off :)

Still not knowing which country you reside in, I can only vouch for my location in S.E.England, where today temperature at last - rose to around 20-degsC - which was about time to, but this brought in too much cloud for an imaging session, so hopefully Monday will be better...

Yes indeed I hope you can get some of the single-frames to be able to further process in whatever image processing program you have and share either on this post-page or on the main "This is SolarChat" page - where of course many others can also see those and make relevant comments and never-ever any dis-heartening comments. You can post on both pages if you wish for the moment - of course...

I only use PaintShopPro and some other useful processing programs, but not Adobe PhotoShop, as I find that unnecessarily hard to get my head around and of little extra value than using PSP and some other progs.

Finally it is difficult to accurately forecast what settings/gains should be adapted before a "Snapshot" or even a movie capture, but as Mark T. said earlier, try and use the histogram to guide you, as well as particularly looking at the screen-image from the camera and use some experimenting and then snap away and see the results. Each astro-imager might prefer to use his/her own settings and there is still the opportunity in the post-processing stage to make further adjustments (usually)... The brightness of the Sun in not so clear skies will also dictate those variable settings.
Pencil & paper might help for notes and PRACTICE, PRACTICE & more PRACTICE...

You can of course send me some un-post-processed images in JPEG form of no more than 2Mbytes per image on this post, where I will quite happily try and post-process them and return to you what I have done... Please though, just remember that many of us do tend to prefer different results...

I'm so glad that you have gotten this far and hope your weather allows you more improvements in due course and equally glad to be of help and will continue to help as required...

Best wishes
Terry

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Ivan, now knowing that you have Photoshop, I can't give you much help with that program, but just came across this useful web-link for SharpCap downloading which will give you some tips. just bear in mind that your camera(s) are believed to be more suitable for DeepSky/Planetary imaging and may be a tad too sensitive for the bright Sun-light, so as you are beginning to realise that the exposures settings will be much less than for DS type light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zD4EIGBess and no doubt many others for a web search, as well as for Photoshop techniques for processing etc., Solar-imagery and also for AutoStakkert and many other useful tutorials from the web...

I trust that info also assists you.

Cheers
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the answer, Terry.

I don't like dust either, but I'm even afraid to breathe towards BF :) it's easier with cameras.

I live in Russia, in the central part.
Today we have +15 C ° and it's clear.

I think tomorrow (the weather forecast promises that it will be clear) I can take a series of pictures and post them in this thread.

Great link there for a complete guide, thanks a lot!

Thank you and Mark.

Ivan

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Many thanks for the reply and you are sounding more confident now since May 8th, which is good.

It's between 18 and 20-degsC here with about 50% cloud-cover, so maybe get some imaging shortly.

You've certainly got some useful targets to capture - if you can, so that will be useful. It will be very interesting to see your captures of the Sun-spots and any proms too.

Best Wishes and CLEAR SKIES
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Hi Terry.

Today I tried to shoot with a monochrome camera. Video 1000 frames, I stacked 30% using a 2X Barlow lens. SharpCap does not support qhy img0s, so all settings are in print screen.

I also shot a few single shots with a color camera. You said that you could try to process my pictures. I'll post them a little later. I can also upload the captured video for processing. I don't like my attempt at processing.

Best wishes, Ivan
Attachments
7.jpg
7.jpg (368.36 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
12.05.21.jpg
12.05.21.jpg (386.03 KiB) Viewed 2320 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I think you have done a cracking job at processing. That's a fabulous start. What are you using for sharpening? you need to use a smaller amount to get the very fine detail come through. The Lunt50 looks great!

Alexandra

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

[quote=Montana post_id=291835 time=1620811381 user_id=80]
I think you have done a cracking job at processing. That's a fabulous start. What are you using for sharpening? you need to use a smaller amount to get the very fine detail come through. The Lunt50 looks great!

Alexandra
[/quote]

Hello Alexandra.

Thanks for your comment and advice to use fewer frames.

For sharpening, I use deconvolution in the free version of Astra image.

I was very worried about my "problem", but it turned out that everything was not so bad. I've never figured it out without the help of Terry, Mark, GreatAttractor and Raf.

Ivan
Attachments
20210512_124228.jpg
20210512_124228.jpg (722.77 KiB) Viewed 2299 times

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank Ivan.

I'll have to look into your latest post a little later today, as unavailable for about 3-hours.

Thanks vm
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Ivan, Greatattractor developed a superb sharpening tool specific to solar imaging called ImPPG. Download it for free and have a try, it will give you a much greater ability to finely adjust the Lucy Richardson deconvolution. At the moment you have it set quite aggressive. If you try ImPPG it is less aggressive and will reveal smaller fine detail.

As regards stacking, only stack the best. If you have 1000 frames try stacking 5, 10 and 20% and see which reveals the finer details vs noise.

Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Ivan again.

You have obviously produced an excellent image - showing the relevant detail as your last posted one. Very well achieved.

I am not sufficiently experienced to go any further with advising you what will improving your techniques for any better imaging.

So I'll leave it here for others to advise you further.

Best Wishes
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:54 pm Hello Ivan again.

You have obviously produced an excellent image - showing the relevant detail as your last posted one. Very well achieved.

I am not sufficiently experienced to go any further with advising you what will improving your techniques for any better imaging.

So I'll leave it here for others to advise you further.

Best Wishes
Terry

Terry, I couldn't have done it without your invaluable help.

Ivan

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Montana wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:37 pm Ivan, Greatattractor developed a superb sharpening tool specific to solar imaging called ImPPG. Download it for free and have a try, it will give you a much greater ability to finely adjust the Lucy Richardson deconvolution. At the moment you have it set quite aggressive. If you try ImPPG it is less aggressive and will reveal smaller fine detail.

As regards stacking, only stack the best. If you have 1000 frames try stacking 5, 10 and 20% and see which reveals the finer details vs noise.

Alexandra

Alexandra,

Thanks a lot for your recommendations, I will definitely try to add fewer frames and ImPPG.

Ivan

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Looks like the scope is fine to me.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Yes Ivan, exactly as Mark has confirmed, you can sleep with a "sigh of relief" that all is well with the scope.

It has been a pleasure to be involved with helping you start into Solar-imaging and looking forward to seeing your images - over the page on SolarChat and to join-in with the fantastic images there. I know you will also join in the fun of getting the credits you will deserve, from seeing the one you posted here.

Regards
Terry

Ivan

Post by Ivan »

marktownley wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:40 pm Looks like the scope is fine to me.
Thanks a lot Mark.
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:39 pm Yes Ivan, exactly as Mark has confirmed, you can sleep with a "sigh of relief" that all is well with the scope.

It has been a pleasure to be involved with helping you start into Solar-imaging and looking forward to seeing your images - over the page on SolarChat and to join-in with the fantastic images there. I know you will also join in the fun of getting the credits you will deserve, from seeing the one you posted here.

Regards
Terry
Thanks a lot Terry.

Thank you guys for helping me, trying to figure it out and give advice. Only thanks to your help, I did not fall into despair!

Also thanks to GreatAttractor, Raf and Alexandra.

Ivan