Newbie advice please

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Super_Creative
The Sun?
The Sun?

Newbie advice please

Post by Super_Creative »

Hi All,

I just received my Daystar Solar Scout 60DS and have an ASI290MM and IR Cut filter on the way. I am close to shooting my first solar image! For mounting I have a Star Adventurer Pro and an AZ-GTi that I use for deep sky imaging. Will either of these mounts work well for solar imaging? I don't really want to take my gear off my AZ-GTi as it has a lot rigged up and is working perfectly, so I was going to try the Star Adventurer until I came across the Solarquest today, which looks perfect. So my two main questions are: can I get away with using the Star Adventurer with a rough north alignment on solar setting? Does the Solarquest work well for imaging fairly tight shots of the sun? Thanks for your time and expertise!

Cheers,
Rob

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Newbie advice please

Post by Montana »

A very warm and sunny welcome Rob :hamster:

I'm not really an expert in these things but I would say just about any mount is fine for solar. You don't even need to be perfectly north aligned either as all your image videos will be very short (under 2 minutes at maximum, seconds usually). Even an alt/az mount is fine because of the fast capture. The only problem you can encounter with an alt az is if you want to do animations. The animation will gradually rotate and if on a continual loop it can make you feel queasy but that is all.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I use the solarquest all the time with my portable travelling kit, as long as you don't overload it will be fine. Just buy the head and use with a decent tripod.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Super_Creative
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Super_Creative »

Thank you both for the replies! Solar Quest is en route. Clear skies!

David Fox
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by David Fox »

Mark advised me previously to change the tripod legs on my solar quest. These skywatcher legs finally arrived last week.
Makes a big difference all right :) very sturdy.
Attachments
ACE4AFC1-3391-4B87-A14D-D44E19174F21.jpeg
ACE4AFC1-3391-4B87-A14D-D44E19174F21.jpeg (4 MiB) Viewed 851 times

Lunt 60tha
Lunt 50tha with DS
Lunt HW 2' on Skywatcher 120ed esprit / Skywatcher 72ed
Coronado SolarMax 3 70mm SS
TI Dome / EQ8r / solar quest / Atik & Zwo
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice! That's quite a difference in the 2 tripods :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!