Guide me please in the choice of the setup

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Guide me please in the choice of the setup

Post by fedele »

Hi to all.

I have a Takahashi FC100DZ and a Vixen SXD2.

I want to organize my purchases for White Light, H alfa and Calcium.
I would have thought of a setup of 3 tubes that fits all on one mount (the SXD2) and consists of the main tube (The FC100DL) and two small tubes for the H alpha and calcium.
It is understood that the Filters can also be used on the FC100 as a single setup.
That's why I was thinking of interchangeable systems and not dedicated all in telescopes.
1) I was thinking of the Daystar Combo H Alfa Chromo, the Daystar Combo Calcium. Of course they are less practical systems than dedicated telescopes and this still does not make me sure in my choice.
2) Using a 2 " Baader Ceramic on the FC100 which other two tubes should I use with the two daystars? All must be mounted on the same SXD2 as I said, if you see that is practical
3) Should I abandon this single mount setup idea?
4) should you aim for the two Daystars? are there better Lunt alternatives?
5) should I abandon the idea of ​​filters and buy two dedicated small all-in telescopes?

Consider that my usual observation site is the terrace of my house, certainly not an ideal place, which is why I would like to aim for one or more transportable setups in the countryside / mountains.
The sxd2 in reality, with its Barleback tripod, already becomes not ideal to transport it.
What would you do if you wanted to dedicate 3000/4000 euros to this setup?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Guide me please in the choice of the setup

Post by marktownley »

If you go the daystar route just make sure you buy from somewhere you have a no quibbles return if the Quark is no good. Sadly this is far too often.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

Omg

So i m thinking to a all in like lunt 60 fb 1200
Both for H Chrome and Ca
Who can explain me the basis of how they work. What are the parts of the scope and their fiction?
The same all in can be use for H and Ca changibg a rear group?
I also see As lunt parts and systems that can be' added ti a normale refractor

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I would use your Tak for a WL wedge and a Lunt CaK filter.

Lunt60 is only really going to give full disk scale imaging.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

I love my Lunt 60 PT SS for full disk images. I also love my Lunt CaK (modded in my case but modding not really necessary) and I just got a Baader 2 inch ceramic Herschel wedge which has some advantages over the 1.25 inch Lunt wedge (mechanical stability, although lots of back focus necessary). In my case, my 107mm f6.5 APO triplet refractor works great with both CaK and the Baader continuum filter.

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

To understand... i can use this also on my fc100 so? Directly? Not necessari the lunt telescope?

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

So if I order a lunt single stak telescope, I have these parts:
The H Alpha part is the red one, the Bf is the one with the diagonal
First question:
What happens if I buy the DOUBLE STACK unit? does it replace the red part, or does it stand in front of the lens? (are probably of both thye two types?)
Attachments
219484385_10222590581987367_8377494821188709977_n.jpg
219484385_10222590581987367_8377494821188709977_n.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

And now the reason why I'm trying to understand:
1) But I can't buy individually the red unit H alpha and the (1200 or 1800) and mount these easily directly on my FC100DL?
2) consequential to n 1. In this case where does the Doubl stack filter go?
3) in front of the FC100 I would put an ERF baader 110
It can be done? are the parts sold individually?

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

4) The Calcium modul, on the other hand, consists only of the part with the blue diagonal. This is inserted directly into the OTA.
Also here...
at this point to observe the sun in Calcium with the FC100, I just take this lunt unit and insert it into the FC100 and go. right?
What is best at this point? the Daystar Combo Calcium (that if i understand require AC and tuning) or the more simple Lunt Module Calcium unit?
Attachments
221149951_10222590592947641_2222939020992560581_n.jpg
221149951_10222590592947641_2222939020992560581_n.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 2193 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Fedele,

I think if you have never done solar observing before and are a complete beginner I would slow down before spending lots of money. For a start I would buy a Baader Herschel wedge which will fit very nicely on the back of your Takahashi FC100DZ. No other items are needed. Enjoy the Sun in white light and look for spots.

Then I would buy a Lunt CaK module https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar ... k-modules/ which is similar to the wedge, no other item needed, nothing complicated. It will just slot in the back of your Tak. Enjoy and learn your way around the Sun in CaK.

Then move on to hydrogen alpha. This is much more complicated as etalons need to be tuned etc. By learning with white light and CaK you will have a good grounding and now know what you are really interested in, whether you want to study and record full discs, or whether you are more interested in high resolution imaging. At this point you can sit down and decide what H alpha filter would best suit your needs. No filter is a good for everything. If still a beginner and all you are interested in is full discs, then look to buy a dedicated H alpha telescope like a Lunt 60mm or perhaps an 80mm. If you prefer visual you might want a Lunt 60mm double stack, or a 80mm double stack. If you prefer to do full discs and little higher resolution imaging then choose the 80mm.

With H alpha I would always start off with a good starter dedicated solar telescope and learn on it, learn how to tune, learn the features and what to look for, learn how to image. Once proficient then move on to something more expensive and complicated. Stick to simple first and take it slow.

Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh yes, and buy a good book first of all :)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32593

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I agree with Alexandra, slow down and buy a good book!

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

Ok ok

thanks...

i have yet some hershel prism, i have yet explored WL and Calcium with Baader K Line Caclium filter and 120ED, Mak127, Mewlon 180c....ok i wil do it again and again...
ok buuk....in order. but now Master, if you can answer to teh specific techical questions please.
So....
I have learned that Daystars are not constant in quality. So, i will go with the suggested Lun Calcium unit. SI have learned now that it can just feat in the taka fok to work.
So...Now or later (...) wil reamin oinly the H Alfa.
I have learned that a solar scope lunt is an ED ota with an H alfa unit (the red) and a BF unit. That BF 1200 is right for 60mm, BF 1800 is right for 80mm lunt telescope. That if i want mor dettails i need the Double Stak unit that is mounted in front of telescope in 60 mm and in the rear in the 80 mm or more models. I needed this simple information basically.

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

So, as I study solar things ..... I come back with some questions.
1) We said Lunt Soccer Unit. For the FC100DL (900 mm) for shooting with monochrome webcams such as the ASI178MM, is the BF 1200 sufficient or do I need a 1800?
2) remain the h alfa setup dilemma.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Yes, you can use the Lunt Cak in the back of the Taka.

The bigger the blocking filter the better.

Don't bother with a Baader K-line.

I would get a Lunt 80 if I was getting a scope now, nice piece of kit!

Mark

thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by thesmiths »

I agree with Mark on the Lunt 80. I have a Lunt 60 double stack but would actually prefer having a Lunt 80 single stack.

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

Ok.

so the setup can be:

- FC100DL for Hersheel WL options
- Lunt Calcium BF1200 for FC100L and other telescopes
- A Lunt 80 mm ED telescope, also single stak for now due to badget, (or a Lunt set of filters for any kind of small ota) for H alfa. This can be also a good compromise for observations or solar imaging out of Home and grab and go setup.

No tuning, no AC, non incostant quality.

i think tha i m arrived to the solution. OK for you?

thanks

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Sounds good to me!

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hi fedele,

I agree with everything from the earlier posters. But unaddressed are some things to know if you have not already considered them.

Given that the Tak's objective uses a fluorite element - which has a very high coefficient of thermal expansion, you may have some thermal expansion issues when the uncovered objective first pointed at the Sun - this can affect optical performance. I would always make sure the scope has been outside for a while and reached ambient temperature. In in a worst case, you might risk the lens if it is too tightly constrained in its cell. This is a very rare but possible event, especially if the lens is not air or oil spaced. So just beware...

CaK is rarely a visual experience, especially as we get older and the eye's lens yellows. This is technically a UV wavelength, and is best seen via imaging. And your Taks ability to image well at 393 nm - even though a relatively long APO - might or might not be good; you won't know until you try (or have access to the lens design's lateral chromatic aberration plot near or at 393 nm).

Going with the Lunt 80 for single etalon stacking is great! Double stacking is a bit more problematic if or when you get to it due to the additional light scattering from the DS etalons internal optics. Some people can live with this, others sometimes can't. If so, you would need to consider a DIY circular polarizer implementation between the etalons, and revising your blocking filter with removal of the BG38 filter and replacing it with a UV/IR block on KG3 from BelOptik due to the reduced transmission from both double stacking and use of the CP to eliminate extraneous reflections and light scatter. Either that, or sell the 80 and get a double stacked 100 mm system for your Tak (like Alexandria uses ;-)

My last bit of general information is that if you ever decide to go with the DayStar or Solar Spectrum filters for hi-res large aperture use, SS seems to currently have a better track record of consistency right now. Also note that for visual use, these filters will operate best at f30 and greater, and this exacerbates any floaters and other inhomogeneity in your Mark 1 eyeball - again more troublesome the older you get. Does not apply to imaging of course...

Good luck with your entry into solar - and don't let the prices of the H alpha gear dissuade you - you should should consider this kit to be a life-long investment to witness the most dynamic and awe-inspiring object we can actually see in the sky.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

damaging the FC100 in the sun is actually a fear of mine.
At this point I would tend to use the FC100 only for those areas of WL where the target can be covered by astrosolar, or an erf etc.
Too bad because I took the Baader ceramic just for WL with the Taka.
I have a 120ED SW which doesn't have the same image quality as the FC100, which I wanted to sell. at this point I no longer sell it and use it for applications that do not include lens coverage.
The FC100 will only use it for applications involving lens coverage.
Therefore, the lunt 80 as a dedicated refractor appears increasingly desirable, without risking a prestigious and collection optic such as the FC100.