New Lunt owner questions...

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
eliot
The Sun?
The Sun?

New Lunt owner questions...

Post by eliot »

A few daft questions:

I work from home. During a busy day of meetings :cry: I like to take a break from zoom to have very quick observing sessions. I setup my solar quest mount in the morning and then leave running for the rest of the day. I have recently bought double stacked lunt LS50, which I absolutely love (other than the helical focuser - shouldn't have skimped).

So far I've not noticed any effect but am I damaging any of my equipment by leaving out pointing at the sun for 8+ hours of the day?

On the double stack filter the ERF is rattles a bit in it's cell. I've read that is to allow the ERF to expand with the heat, but it does feel a bit disconcerting when you first get the scope. The front element of the main scope doesn't rattle does that mean it's not an ERF? Is the purpose of the blocking filter to attenuate the light around the HA region?

Finally the little wheel on the double stacking filter does not seem to make any difference. It moves freely and for many turns, however I don't see movement in optics. (This might be due to it being too small or to far in to the optics for me to see). The view when I add the double stack filter is excellent so something appears to be working. Or is it's main purpose to remove secondary reflections when the two etalons are aligned as also I read somewhere?

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: New Lunt owner questions...

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hello Eliot, I have owned a Lunt 60mm Ha and Double Stack for over 10-years and previously using for outreach a Solarview scope too, I have never had an issue with using it for several hours pointing/tracking the Sun - when those clouds do not interfere. I would have thought that if Lunt had a reason to advise limiting exposure-time, they would have put that in their instructions...

Getting a FeatherTouch focuser would have shown its' benefits..

It might be possible that the DS unit might have a snag where the rattle you mention, could be that the adjusting-wheel has become detached from the Etalon (leaving the extra-contrast for the Sun's surface-detail where it should be).

I would recommend explaining that scenario to either Lunt via email or the (supplier) for their opinion as to whether it needs to be returned for service..
At least if that is the case of returning it, good idea to note the serial-number and make sure it is well packaged for the return trip, as it is possible that in the original post-transit, the item has been mishandled/dropped...

At least you can continue with your observations in the mean-time.

Lunt has a very-good customer relationship and service, so from many previous comments on SolarChat, you should have no-problem there..

Best Wishes.
Terry

eliot
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by eliot »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the advise. You're always that bit more cautious when you get that new bit of kit...

Eliot

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Of course Eliot and that's the correct way to be.

SolarChat is by far the best way to get any questions answered, as there is a plethora of experienced people who have had the same experiences as you and should be able to assist you.

Cheers for now
Terry