solar observing questions

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

solar observing questions

Post by dpastern »

OK, I got the Lunt out and was able to set up my new HEQ5pro (kinda lol!) and do some visual observing of the Sun. All I can say is wow oh wow! An active region easily visible near the middle of the disc, and a large prominence too! Absolutely amazing views.

Some questions, how do I accurately identify objects that I have seen? I checked out this link:

https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/.../latest/la ... 6_1700.jpg

and I think the active region in question is at 6 o'clock in that image. Are these images from NASA updated frequently? Are they annotated with the feature details on the disc? Is there some other site that's real time and I can use to help identify what I see on the Sun? Are these NASA images North up, South down, and if that is the case, since I am in the Southern hemisphere, they are inverted for me?

I have so many questions, hopefully someone can take the time out to answer them for me with answers for a dummy who is still new to solar observing.

Thanks in advance.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: solar observing questions

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

The first question = https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html giving the numbered AR's and correct N-S-E-West layout.
(This is nothing to do with spaceweather.com, which although can be a useful website, currently shows images around 24-hours out of date)...

Second question A/ = https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/ which is 24/7/365 and usually updated around 30-minutes when the SDO satellite is serviceable.

Second question B/ = The SDO satellite is always N-up and East on left etc. I believe it the same for the Sun only in the Southern hemisphere and is not connected with Earth's own poles...
Also note, all times given are equivalent to GMT/UTC/Z (London/Paris) (or should be ) - unless specifically shown as a local-time...

Never call yourself a "Dummy" as we all started out not-knowing much (or anything) about our Sun and safely-observing it and we are here to pass our knowledge (sometimes gained over many decades) to everyone regardless...

Don't forget that if you have one of those mobile-phones with a camera (or indeed other cameras) you may well capture some images through and Eye-Piece (Afocal imaging technique) and you can post them here for us to see what you see down under...

Our James/DeepSolar64 has been doing that with excellent results too...

Where about are you ??

CLEAR SKIES and BEST WISHES
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A very warm and sunny welcome :hamster:

I always found this site to be the most helpful when I was beginner and just starting to orientate myself round the Sun https://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/ob ... n-h-alpha/

This is always good to see what is on the Sun right now https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableVie ... hAlpha.cfg

Alexandra

dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dpastern »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:30 pm The first question = https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html giving the numbered AR's and correct N-S-E-West layout.
(This is nothing to do with spaceweather.com, which although can be a useful website, currently shows images around 24-hours out of date)...

Second question A/ = https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/ which is 24/7/365 and usually updated around 30-minutes when the SDO satellite is serviceable.

Second question B/ = The SDO satellite is always N-up and East on left etc. I believe it the same for the Sun only in the Southern hemisphere and is not connected with Earth's own poles...
Also note, all times given are equivalent to GMT/UTC/Z (London/Paris) (or should be ) - unless specifically shown as a local-time...

Never call yourself a "Dummy" as we all started out not-knowing much (or anything) about our Sun and safely-observing it and we are here to pass our knowledge (sometimes gained over many decades) to everyone regardless...

Don't forget that if you have one of those mobile-phones with a camera (or indeed other cameras) you may well capture some images through and Eye-Piece (Afocal imaging technique) and you can post them here for us to see what you see down under...

Our James/DeepSolar64 has been doing that with excellent results too...

Where about are you ??

CLEAR SKIES and BEST WISHES
Terry
Thanks Terry! a question - with the 2nd link (NASA site), when I click on more images, there's none for the HA bandwidth. Which of the image types is best to compare to what I can see with HA?

UTC has always confused me. I'm good with normal time zone stuff (GMT).

I meant 'dummy" in a humorous way, to help emphasise my newbie status.

I didn't think of the afocal imaging with my phone until much later on on Saturday night :-/ I did attach my 1600mm pro to the Lunt, but by the time I'd done with visual observing, and my 7 year old niece had had a really good look (she loved it!) and One of my neighbours, the Sun had started to dip down behind another neighbour's house. I have a very bad lower back, so setting my gear up isn't going to be as frequent as I'd like. Here are mid afternoon Monday and I've been in a lot of pain for most of last night and today with a back that is well, really not happy! A few people have recommended the ASI178 mono camera, which will do full solar disc imaging, plus have way better frame rates than my 1600 - I want to get One, but I'm not working at the moment, so no money.

I'm in Brisbane, Australia.

Thank you for your wise advice and answering my questions.

Cheers,

Dave

dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dpastern »

Montana wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:00 pm A very warm and sunny welcome :hamster:

I always found this site to be the most helpful when I was beginner and just starting to orientate myself round the Sun https://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/ob ... n-h-alpha/

This is always good to see what is on the Sun right now https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableVie ... hAlpha.cfg

Alexandra
Wow thank you Alexandra! That first link is GOLD!

I had already found that nso website - looks good, but no referencing the active regions makes it less useful to a newbie like me imho!

PS I just realised that I follow you on flickr lol. Your images are amazing!

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hi Dave,
With the https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/ website-page, opening the "More Images" tab - for each low-resolution image (initially shown), simply allows for higher resolution images to be viewed of that first image. These can all easily be downloaded - as I do on occasions for posting here on SolarChat, so lookiing at the " This is SolarChat !! " tab - you can see some of these posted by myself and others.

For identifying and naming Active Regions (AR's) as said previously :- https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html

" UTC has always confused me. I'm good with normal time zone stuff (GMT). "
UTC and GMT are within a couple of seconds the same time-zone and to find the offset-time for where you live in Australia can be found at:- https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/ ETC.

It could well be confusing at first, but the importance of using only one time-zone as GMT/UTC (shortened to "Z") is mandatory for telling those looking at data when that time actually refers to.

In fact over the last 60-years or so, I have had to use this type of "Z", for world-wide telecommunications, Air Traffic Control, my flying-activities and of course astronomy. To be more precise, even shipping usually or should use GMT/UTC/Z as if you think about it, for aircraft crossing any time-zones around the world at the speed they travel, would constantly prove a problem in their "Flight-Planning" for Air Traffic Control purposes etc.
So everywhere around the globe, should be using one time only - which is safer for accurate reporting and planning purposes.

I personally have always said that in fact the whole-world could quite easily only ever have one-time for everything we do and each region would get used to that, especially where "Daylight-Saving" time means even more conversions - causing more-stress for the unnecessary- need to keep changing all time-pieces, clocks etc etc., TWICE A YEAR...!!! That is just a "change for the sake of a change " - with no real advantage either...
"CONFUSCIOUS SAY" - applies...

Of course children usually seem to love looking through telescopes for whatever astro-purpose, but always advise them of trying to view our Sun with any other type of instrument/binoculars etc. etc., is very dangerous and will most likely cause un-repairable damage to their eyes.

I know what back-pain can be like (after a serious horse-riding accident), so fully understand your concerns and difficulty in setting-up etc., which is why I have a large observatory and do as little as possible for any setting-up, rather than just getting on with the task of imaging (now in four lights). Pain-killers are of course helpful, but the less the better...

One way that might be suitable to yourself, is the feasibility of have a water-proof covering for your telescope - when the weather/humidity and heat allows it, but with all openings sealed with the dust-caps, might be a way of making life a tad easier. Other methods are also available for a possibility.

Best Wishes
Terry

dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dpastern »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:18 pm Hi Dave,
With the https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/ website-page, opening the "More Images" tab - for each low-resolution image (initially shown), simply allows for higher resolution images to be viewed of that first image. These can all easily be downloaded - as I do on occasions for posting here on SolarChat, so lookiing at the " This is SolarChat !! " tab - you can see some of these posted by myself and others.

For identifying and naming Active Regions (AR's) as said previously :- https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity.html

" UTC has always confused me. I'm good with normal time zone stuff (GMT). "
UTC and GMT are within a couple of seconds the same time-zone and to find the offset-time for where you live in Australia can be found at:- https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/ ETC.

It could well be confusing at first, but the importance of using only one time-zone as GMT/UTC (shortened to "Z") is mandatory for telling those looking at data when that time actually refers to.

In fact over the last 60-years or so, I have had to use this type of "Z", for world-wide telecommunications, Air Traffic Control, my flying-activities and of course astronomy. To be more precise, even shipping usually or should use GMT/UTC/Z as if you think about it, for aircraft crossing any time-zones around the world at the speed they travel, would constantly prove a problem in their "Flight-Planning" for Air Traffic Control purposes etc.
So everywhere around the globe, should be using one time only - which is safer for accurate reporting and planning purposes.

I personally have always said that in fact the whole-world could quite easily only ever have one-time for everything we do and each region would get used to that, especially where "Daylight-Saving" time means even more conversions - causing more-stress for the unnecessary- need to keep changing all time-pieces, clocks etc etc., TWICE A YEAR...!!! That is just a "change for the sake of a change " - with no real advantage either...
"CONFUSCIOUS SAY" - applies...

Of course children usually seem to love looking through telescopes for whatever astro-purpose, but always advise them of trying to view our Sun with any other type of instrument/binoculars etc. etc., is very dangerous and will most likely cause un-repairable damage to their eyes.

I know what back-pain can be like (after a serious horse-riding accident), so fully understand your concerns and difficulty in setting-up etc., which is why I have a large observatory and do as little as possible for any setting-up, rather than just getting on with the task of imaging (now in four lights). Pain-killers are of course helpful, but the less the better...

One way that might be suitable to yourself, is the feasibility of have a water-proof covering for your telescope - when the weather/humidity and heat allows it, but with all openings sealed with the dust-caps, might be a way of making life a tad easier. Other methods are also available for a possibility.

Best Wishes
Terry
Hi Terry,

Once again, thanks for taking the time to help!

I did check the more images, the angstrom bandwidths of the more images aren't at the HA bandwidth of 656 A. So, I'm not sure which of the images is the best to use.

I'm still confused with UTC - is it just simplest to say GMT and UTC are the same then? I looked at that map and it said +10 for my time zone (Brisbane). Identical to what a GMT time zone map would be of course. Hence the confusion. I mean, if there's no difference between UTC and GMT, why have UTC at all? Just get rid of it and use GMT! Wrapping my head around using UTC (and using it accurately) for both planetary and solar imaging is gonna take me a while to learn! I am used to GMT - I have no issues with GMT. I'm pretty good at knowing what time it is in most major cities in the world! I get that from my late father.

OH yes, I was very much repeating that you never look at the Sun with your eyes or a telescope etc. i told her that I have a special telescope that lets me do so, but that most people don't have such a telescope. She's pretty bright and catches onto things remarkably quickly. She was bugging me on Sunday to get the scope out to view the Sun, but I had to decline. My back didn't feel 100% on Sunday and has declined both yesterday and today. All this from a bit of bending over and carrying the mount head (8kg), Lunt scope (what, 4-5 kg?) and tripod legs (4-5kg)? it's not like that's really heavy. Well, for normal people. For me, it is very heavy.

I would love an observatory, unfortunately, there are so many things precluding me from doing so (terrible yard with a very bad shape and poor 360 degree visibility; an easement which takes up half our bloody back yard [which wasn't disclosed back when the property was sold to my parents by the prior owners] and I'm not working, so no money). I am considering a permanent pier, and if I can get away with this, I'll put my NEQ6 up on it. I won't be able to leave the scopes out permanently obvious, but it means I don't at least have to worry about the mount. Sadly, there is a single location that gives me a reasonable view to the north/west and east (South is forget it - house is in the way). This single location is, you guessed it, in the easement zone. Technically, I can build on the easement, but if the water body needs to access the sewerage pipe under our property, they can legally tear up anything on the easement, without compensation. Anywhere else in the yard will result in me seeing only 20-25% of the night sky. I'd have to do a council check (costs $$$$) to check where the pipe is, and how far down it is. If I dig too deep and damage the pipe, I'm in a world of hurt legally and financially. Plus, my physical health means I can't do it myself, even though it doesn't look that hard to do a pier. Sucks to be me!

I am careful with pain killers. I like to treat meds with respect. I only use them if I really need to and even then I'm careful with my dosage etc. I work as a support worker, and whilst I haven't got my medications module I have passed the practical (just didn't hand in my theory paperwork). Once I have that module, I can legally administer medications to clients.

My concern with having a permanent setup is simply theft. As I said earlier, I'm hoping to eventually get a permanent pier done and will use a gizmo cover to protect the mount. I'll keep the HEQ5pro as a portable mount for dark skies.

Cheers!

Dave

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello Dave.
Don't worry too much about the "angstrom bandwidths", so much as on the SDO page, looking at the 3rd as AIA 0304 (the red one) which is as near to your Ha scope's view and depending on whether you have the double-stack Etalon on or off.
With that Etalon off, will show more prom activity better, whereas with a Double Stack on, surface detail (as contrast-improvement) will show-up better, but proms will be less...

Remembering that all SDO images are captured from a satellite where no interference from Earths' atmosphere impairs the captures, then for the most up to date/hour imagery - is provided by this satellite and automatically applied to the website - the "Z" times being shown on each..

Also good idea to particularly look at the 2nd to last Grey/image as "HMI Intensitygram" which is really equivalent to our White Light imaging from Earth and which specifically shows the Sun-spot activity and highlights which areas can be seen in your Solar-scope as well as everything else...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Dyn ... bservatory is well worth reading-up for more details about the Solar Dynamics Observatory, as well as other pages from the SDO website...
+++
The easiest way to identify either UTC and GMT time is to simply use "Z" as I do. Saves a many keyboard taps too !! But in reality they are both so close together from the North and South Pole Meridian-line (Paris and London) where the slight-difference is so small, that for most purposes is the same time.

Dialling-in " UTC - GMT DIFFERENCES " for further information on this subject, you will find that effectively there is no difference for most purposes, but unfortunately the French have used the wrong identification as UTC which sh0ould have been "CUT" as "Coordinated Universal Time".

Why the term "Universe or Universal" has been used is of course in reality nothing to do with our Universe, but no doubt somebody-else knows better, so that is why using GMT as Greenwich Mean Time (London) shortened to "Z" is really the bench-mark over several centuries for the whole world to have adjusted their own times from...

So if your own time-zone is +10-hours ahead of GMT/Z - just means that you will need to subtract 10-hours from your current local-time - using the 24-hour format (not AM/PM). So at your Brisbane - 12:00hrs/mid-day (NOT DST), use 02:00hrs/GMT or simply 02:00Z for applying to when an image was taken. Still confused, well of course I understand, as Daylight Saving Time also adds to the confusion - which is why I say that all times in all countries wherever, could or should use just one time around the revolving-globe.

Other time-systems are also used, such as GPS and space-times, but I'm not going into those !!!!!!!

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/gmt-utc-time.html - specifically refers and many other web-links available on the subject...

Finally with the last point of "UTC", indeed no-useful point in having that at all - except as "Confuscous Say"
+++
Our Mark Townley, has just erected an outside pier and where practicable, that is a good idea as long as it's foundation is sufficient to last for many years to keep it very stable. You could always ask for more information (if required) as to the best way for that, as mine in my observatory is based on a four-poster with a 6' deep reinforced concrete circular-base, separated from the observatory-floor by 10mm.. Able to take loads far in excess of any amateur astronomers' set-up...

Leaving expensive telescopes etc. outside is not a good idea as you have said, whereas mounts generally will withstand the weather far-better, but still to be water-proof covered when not in use... Well one would not normally be using a telescope when it's raining - I guess, but night-time dew is still possible... !!

Obviously you have the problem of any underground pipes or services, so always a careful dig is required, I recall one of my aerial-mast guy-line poles, having that experience of a sewage-pipe in the way, but found that it was an old/unused one, so problem solved.
+++
Keeping quiet about an expensive astronomical observing site, is fairly important, but for a pier and mount outside, is not likely to be of much use to an intruder/thief (without necessary tools), as they/pier & mount are fairly rare and in any case no-use to anybody-else except those already into astronomy.
Scrap metal dealers might be interested, but not much profit for their risks...
So another benefit of removing the telescope...

All the Best and always available for Q & A's as well as other SolarChat members who might also be able to assist...

CLEAR SKIES
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Interesting thread about the time Terry. I have Firecapture set to capture and record in the file header UTC. Therefore it doesn't matter whether it is daylight saving or not Firecapture makes the translation for me. Very easy :)

Sorry about the bad back, I know exactly how you feel as my neck has given out over the past month. I've had a bad neck ever since I did too many exams back to back at school for GCSE's and A levels. I have been cursed ever since but it comes and goes in bad spells, then settles down again. Gentle exercise seems to gradually improve it but lugging about a telescope and mount is the worst thing in the world :( I wonder how many astronomers have bad backs?

Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Alexandra.
Yes of course and perhaps Dave you can also note, that many planetarium and camera downloads programs might allow the time to be added to each session, by (as Alexandra correctly added) the possibility of UTC/GMT being automatically applied and saved each time the program is accessed.

Often the word "offset" could be used for adjusting from local-time to UTC/GMT. Obviously the PC/computer time itself need to be set to your local-time and that may well also self-adjust for/from DST (upon a setting request-maybe).
+++
Assuming you are referring to my back-problems Alexandra, mine is also associated to Osteoarthritis, which is also 'as I speak' affecting my ankle, so this is a permanent snag and yesterday/today just making walking a tad painful.
I think most of us know that back-pains is fairly common and especially as we get older, so we just have to do the best we can...
I hope yours is getting better and you can get the scope up and running - to keep you occupied as and when.
Also for Dave, you can only do the best you can during your difficult times.

As again said, gentle exercise can help, but C11's etc., are not a part of that exercise. One of the reasons why I prefer to keep all three-scopes on the same mount and the bigger and heavy 127-Apo-Triplet and even the ETX-125 are rarely used now. Hopefully when the mini-observatory is up, then one of the other scopes will be fitted-in and used more often...

Cheers
Terry

dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dpastern »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:48 pm Hello Dave.
Don't worry too much about the "angstrom bandwidths", so much as on the SDO page, looking at the 3rd as AIA 0304 (the red one) which is as near to your Ha scope's view and depending on whether you have the double-stack Etalon on or off.
With that Etalon off, will show more prom activity better, whereas with a Double Stack on, surface detail (as contrast-improvement) will show-up better, but proms will be less...

Remembering that all SDO images are captured from a satellite where no interference from Earths' atmosphere impairs the captures, then for the most up to date/hour imagery - is provided by this satellite and automatically applied to the website - the "Z" times being shown on each..

Also good idea to particularly look at the 2nd to last Grey/image as "HMI Intensitygram" which is really equivalent to our White Light imaging from Earth and which specifically shows the Sun-spot activity and highlights which areas can be seen in your Solar-scope as well as everything else...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Dyn ... bservatory is well worth reading-up for more details about the Solar Dynamics Observatory, as well as other pages from the SDO website...
+++
The easiest way to identify either UTC and GMT time is to simply use "Z" as I do. Saves a many keyboard taps too !! But in reality they are both so close together from the North and South Pole Meridian-line (Paris and London) where the slight-difference is so small, that for most purposes is the same time.

Dialling-in " UTC - GMT DIFFERENCES " for further information on this subject, you will find that effectively there is no difference for most purposes, but unfortunately the French have used the wrong identification as UTC which sh0ould have been "CUT" as "Coordinated Universal Time".

Why the term "Universe or Universal" has been used is of course in reality nothing to do with our Universe, but no doubt somebody-else knows better, so that is why using GMT as Greenwich Mean Time (London) shortened to "Z" is really the bench-mark over several centuries for the whole world to have adjusted their own times from...

So if your own time-zone is +10-hours ahead of GMT/Z - just means that you will need to subtract 10-hours from your current local-time - using the 24-hour format (not AM/PM). So at your Brisbane - 12:00hrs/mid-day (NOT DST), use 02:00hrs/GMT or simply 02:00Z for applying to when an image was taken. Still confused, well of course I understand, as Daylight Saving Time also adds to the confusion - which is why I say that all times in all countries wherever, could or should use just one time around the revolving-globe.

Other time-systems are also used, such as GPS and space-times, but I'm not going into those !!!!!!!

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/gmt-utc-time.html - specifically refers and many other web-links available on the subject...

Finally with the last point of "UTC", indeed no-useful point in having that at all - except as "Confuscous Say"
+++
Our Mark Townley, has just erected an outside pier and where practicable, that is a good idea as long as it's foundation is sufficient to last for many years to keep it very stable. You could always ask for more information (if required) as to the best way for that, as mine in my observatory is based on a four-poster with a 6' deep reinforced concrete circular-base, separated from the observatory-floor by 10mm.. Able to take loads far in excess of any amateur astronomers' set-up...

Leaving expensive telescopes etc. outside is not a good idea as you have said, whereas mounts generally will withstand the weather far-better, but still to be water-proof covered when not in use... Well one would not normally be using a telescope when it's raining - I guess, but night-time dew is still possible... !!

Obviously you have the problem of any underground pipes or services, so always a careful dig is required, I recall one of my aerial-mast guy-line poles, having that experience of a sewage-pipe in the way, but found that it was an old/unused one, so problem solved.
+++
Keeping quiet about an expensive astronomical observing site, is fairly important, but for a pier and mount outside, is not likely to be of much use to an intruder/thief (without necessary tools), as they/pier & mount are fairly rare and in any case no-use to anybody-else except those already into astronomy.
Scrap metal dealers might be interested, but not much profit for their risks...
So another benefit of removing the telescope...

All the Best and always available for Q & A's as well as other SolarChat members who might also be able to assist...

CLEAR SKIES
Terry
Hi Terry,

Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my newbie questions.

I had another look at the SDO page and the 0304 image and now know what to look for. As a beginner, it's hard to know which one is the best fit.

It'll be several years before I'll be able to get a DS. From what I have read, SS gives better visual observing and DS is better for solar imaging, mainly of surface detail.

I think I will use "Z" as you suggest. I have never seen UTC mentioned as Z before though!

The pier I'm thinking of will just be that - a pier. Concrete base 4' x 4'. Concrete pier will go down 3' and be reinforced with rebarb. I know a suspended surface is best, and I could probably get a wooden deck suspended over the 4' x 4' concrete base I guess. I hadn't though much of it and was just happy to have a concrete base/pier and walk on the concrete base. From my perspective, it's better than manually setting up all the time!

I'd be only looking to leave the mount permanently outside on the pier, under a gizmo cover. I've heard very good things about gizmo covers.

I would probably get a tradesperson in to do it all - I don't fancy digging a hole and concreting etc with my back. They *should* know what they are doing with regards to digging etc. I don't think I would need council approval for a pier setup, but I guess you never know. It pays to check.

Cheers,

Dave

dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dpastern »

Montana wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:44 pm Interesting thread about the time Terry. I have Firecapture set to capture and record in the file header UTC. Therefore it doesn't matter whether it is daylight saving or not Firecapture makes the translation for me. Very easy :)

Sorry about the bad back, I know exactly how you feel as my neck has given out over the past month. I've had a bad neck ever since I did too many exams back to back at school for GCSE's and A levels. I have been cursed ever since but it comes and goes in bad spells, then settles down again. Gentle exercise seems to gradually improve it but lugging about a telescope and mount is the worst thing in the world :( I wonder how many astronomers have bad backs?

Alexandra
Thanks Alexandra - great idea on using the UTC time stamp feature in FireCapture. I presume I should also use the winjupos settings option too? I am very new to FireCapture as well, so I have a large mountain to climb in terms of learning.

I am limited in exercise due to my back - walking on level surface (not up or down hills) and swimming. That's it. It makes it harder to lose weight (which I do need to do).

I think a good percentage of Astronomers have bad backs. A constant empty wallet does weird things to your backbone and posture ;-)

Cheers,

Dave

dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dpastern »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:30 pm Thanks Alexandra.
Yes of course and perhaps Dave you can also note, that many planetarium and camera downloads programs might allow the time to be added to each session, by (as Alexandra correctly added) the possibility of UTC/GMT being automatically applied and saved each time the program is accessed.

Often the word "offset" could be used for adjusting from local-time to UTC/GMT. Obviously the PC/computer time itself need to be set to your local-time and that may well also self-adjust for/from DST (upon a setting request-maybe).
+++
Assuming you are referring to my back-problems Alexandra, mine is also associated to Osteoarthritis, which is also 'as I speak' affecting my ankle, so this is a permanent snag and yesterday/today just making walking a tad painful.
I think most of us know that back-pains is fairly common and especially as we get older, so we just have to do the best we can...
I hope yours is getting better and you can get the scope up and running - to keep you occupied as and when.
Also for Dave, you can only do the best you can during your difficult times.

As again said, gentle exercise can help, but C11's etc., are not a part of that exercise. One of the reasons why I prefer to keep all three-scopes on the same mount and the bigger and heavy 127-Apo-Triplet and even the ETX-125 are rarely used now. Hopefully when the mini-observatory is up, then one of the other scopes will be fitted-in and used more often...

Cheers
Terry
HI Terry,

I have duly noted UTC settings in FireCapture!

I'm generally good with GMT time zone/local time etc. I use 24 hour time (I prefer it).

My OA tends to affect my back (more stiffness and lack of mobility than pain in general) but migrates down the main nerve and creates pain in my L hip and L heel. My brain has become partially accustomed to the heel pain now. At the moment though, I have upset not only the OA, but the muscles in my lower back. Double whammy. I also have an umbilical hernia, which doesn't help.

Even my HEQ5pro, which is not a heavy mount, is probably too much for me, at least based on what has happened courtesy of last weekend. I shall persevere though. I love this hobby and have done so since I was a wee lad.

Exercise is good - but I am limited to walking (no up or down hill) or swimming. Everything else is considered too high impact for me according to my GP. I still remember the day I got the x-ray done on my back. All I heard from the radiologist was "that's not good". Bless the lad, despite him not being meant to tell me anything, he showed me his screen and told me that my back was well, you know the word. Worse, scoliosis to boot. He was unashamedly apologetic for given me bad news.

I have a C9.25, for planetary imaging, it's around 9kg I think from memory. I'll deal with that sucker when I get to it lol.

Cheers!

Dave

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hi Dave,
We were using "Z" back in my military days and also is used for aviation-purposes.

In radio-telephony the term used after that time is "Zulu" - which tells that the time given is ZERO-hours from GMT/UTC...

Otherwise, if a time is said to be a local-time wherever, then it must always add the wording such as "Local" for the area (country) referred to...

Also the requirement to use the 24-hours clock is necessary, as AM/PM can easily be mistaken in both typing and bearing in mind that telecommunications sent around the globe can easily add to that confusion and mistakes.

In fact I know that telescope mounts often use AM/PM - which is/was unnecessary and also by adding such as "0100 AM" for instance, is actually quite sad and stupid... Often 1200-hours (or "12-hundred hours" ) can be confused with mid-day or mid-night, but in reality it can only be referred to for mid-day, as for around mid-night, "2359, 0000, 0001" is much clearer..
+++
If anybody installs one of the helicopter washing lines in the garden, no permission (other the the land-owner) would be needed (almost anywhere in the world ?? ), so I can't see any difference in installing a pier there either.
Then again who knows what a council might want to know at your cost and their profit...

Cheers for now
Terry

dpastern
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dpastern »

Hi Terry,

I'm very familiar with the NATO call signs, had them drilled into me when I worked for Apple Computers for 18 months in the early 00s.

And yes, that is exactly why I prefer 24 hour time - no possible mistakes or misunderstandings!

True, but Australian local councils are really FUNNY and quite often overstep their legal authority imho. They make the rules up as they go and do whatever they want.

Cheers!

Dave

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I would also recommend using the GONG network for Ha images. They really help show me what is on the disc at any given time and along with the Tilting Sun program help me with solar orientation. They update on the Daystar site every 30 minutes and much less on the main GONG site. DayStar colors theirs and that's nice.

http://www.daystarfilters.com/latest_gong_color.jpg

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableVie ... hAlpha.cfg

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount