Camera upgrade, maybe?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Camera upgrade, maybe?

Post by 04Stefan07 »

I have taken some really good images of the Sun with the camera I have (see signature for brand/model) but I feel I can do one better and looking at a possible camera upgrade.

As I understand it a highly recommended one I have been reading about is the ASI174MM but that's a bit out of my price range at $800 AUD.

Can anyone recommend the next best? Of course, if I can sell my Flea I can always put it towards a new cam.

Is it worth an upgrade from what I use now? Thoughts?

Thanks!

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
MOUNTS: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro & Skywatcher Star Adventurer
CAMERA: Player One Neptune-M & Flea3 1.3 MP Mono USB3
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Camera upgrade, maybe?

Post by marktownley »

With a Lunt 50, I would say a ZWO 290mm, will give you a lot more image scale and cheaper than the 174.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

marktownley wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:15 pm With a Lunt 50, I would say a ZWO 290mm, will give you a lot more image scale and cheaper than the 174.
How does it stack up with the 178MM?

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I wouldn't recommend a 178 unless you buy it from somewhere you can send it back if needed.

They 'can' have a fixed pattern noise issue at Ha wavelengths, some cameras display it some don't, there's no magic software / flat fix you can do for it. The 290mm does not have this issue at all.

Have a google - ZWO 178mm fixed pattern noise - there's lots of threads about it on this forum and others.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

marktownley wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:11 am I wouldn't recommend a 178 unless you buy it from somewhere you can send it back if needed.

They 'can' have a fixed pattern noise issue at Ha wavelengths, some cameras display it some don't, there's no magic software / flat fix you can do for it. The 290mm does not have this issue at all.

Have a google - ZWO 178mm fixed pattern noise - there's lots of threads about it on this forum and others.
Sweet mate. Ill have a look up that issue and will go towards the 290mm.