Quark calcium and Evostar 72mm

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Quark calcium and Evostar 72mm

Post by ffellah »

Hello all: I am considering getting a Quark Calcium H, to be used with an Evostar 72mm. Does anyone have experience with that ? Daystar says it works with f/7 or higher: the Evostar 72mm is f/5.8. I was thinking of stopping it down to 50mm or so to achieve the correct focal length. Thoughts ? Would I get the full disk ? Any suggestions/experience with that filter would be appreciated... thank you.

Franco

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Re: Quark calcium and Evostar 72mm

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hi Franco, I can't vouch for a Calcium-H Quark, but of course much has been said about both Quark and CaH on SC and on the web.

But certainly to have a range of F-stoppers for whichever scope is useful, as today whilst starting imaging from the new mini-obsy, was using my set of such, showing some interesting results. They range from 10mm through to 70mm for the ED80T-CF.

I can say that with my Sodium Quark through the Orion 80ED and the SW ED80, that I couldn't get full disk captures with either ASI-178MM or ASI-120MC-S cameras. I've still got other cameras to trial, but one (Altair GPCAM) seems that Altair have ceased/taken-off the download program which I needed for the new pc. Obviously using one or more 0.5Focal-Reducers may correct to a small extent, but that's another task to try...

Best wishes
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

You will always get better results with calcium with lower f-ratios. With a camera with large enough chip, yes, you will get a full disk. With that scope I would be using at 40mm aperture.

Your big chipped PGR will give a FD all the way up to 1000mm focal length, have you any other fracs you could use?

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Thank you Mark and Terry. I can probably use it also with the Explore Scientific 6" refractor. Still considering the purchase, let’s see how things go.

Franco

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

ffellah wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:10 pm Thank you Mark and Terry. I can probably use it also with the Explore Scientific 6" refractor. Still considering the purchase, let’s see how things go.

Franco
I would probably use it with that scope stopped down to 50mm and the big chipped PGR, you will get a full disk at the 988mm focal length, and at f20 the filter will work with a lot more contrast than with the 72mm scope...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Thank you for the guidance Mark

Franco