achieved focus with binoviewer by adding barlow

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
pmlevine
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

achieved focus with binoviewer by adding barlow

Post by pmlevine »

Recently purchased a Baader Maxbright binoviewer, but I was not able to focus and merge images when using a TeleVue Pronto refractor outfitted with Coronado SolarMax h-alpha filter w blocking filter diagonal. I did not have enough back focus.
Then I read somewhere about adding a barlow to the binoviewer, in order to achieve enough back focus.
It worked! The setup: MaxBright binoviewer with 1.25x glass compensator, inserted into a Celestron 2x barlow, using 2 Celestron 26mm Silvertop plossl eyepieces.
So I have some questions, because I don't understand the optics/focus/merge issues well enough.
I believe I will obtain even better viewing of the Sun with the binoviewer if I use 32mm eyepieces.
Another option might be to use an extension tube instead of the 2x barlow, and the 26mm Silvertops, the 2x barlow magnifies and dims the images too much.
Again, I don't understand the optics, so would appreciate any advise.
thanks,
Phil

TeleVue 70 mm Pronto with Coronado SolarMaxII BF 10. William Optics 80 mm ZenithStar II with Baader Herschel Wedge. Baader MaxBright Binoviewer.