SolarQuest review

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: SolarQuest review

Post by marktownley »

I got to try the solarquest out for the first time today. Have to say, i'm incredibly impressed and pleased with it!

It is so easy to use. I set up with the 50mm lunt etalon on the 60mmf6 scope and within 30 seconds it had the sun within the field of view, centering was easy with the toggle switch. My biggest question was how it would handle passing cloud, and today was the perfect test day with the sun going in and out of said clouds. The sun also sat in the top branches of a leafless tree, both it and the cloud had no effect on the tracking. There was no problems with the weight of this setup either.

Upping the ante a bit, I switched out the BF15 from this setup and inserted my 2" diagonal, Quark, Baader Solar telecompressor and the Cemax 25mm eyepiece. I needed to recenter, but that's not unexpected given the extra mass at the back of the scope. Again it tracked wonderfully and I enjoyed views through the eyepiece even if the sun was quiet.

Next step I swapped the eyepiece for my Grasshopper camera for a full disk shot of the sun. The fov is about 0.7 degrees vertically, so not much wiggle room on the chip. Despite the sun disappearing in and out of the clouds there were no issues with the tracking and the sun remained centered in the fov. There was a bit of movement but only a few arc minutes, more than acceptable!

Given this mount just sits on the top of the EQ6 tripod 'ready for action' I can see it is going to get frequent use, and may well be the one that's used regularly for full disk shots with the smaller scopes. It will certainly make the perfect travelling mount. It definitely needs a decent tripod, and i'm going to look at a more secure interface than just the 3/8" thread at the bottom as this has a tendency to allow to rotation despite how tight is done up. All very minor concerns. If skywatcher did a similar one that could hold bigger scopes it would be a winner!

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
dhkaiser
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by dhkaiser »

marktownley wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:23 pm I got to try the solarquest out for the first time today. Have to say, i'm incredibly impressed and pleased with it!

It is so easy to use. I set up with the 50mm lunt etalon on the 60mmf6 scope and within 30 seconds it had the sun within the field of view, centering was easy with the toggle switch. My biggest question was how it would handle passing cloud, and today was the perfect test day with the sun going in and out of said clouds. The sun also sat in the top branches of a leafless tree, both it and the cloud had no effect on the tracking. There was no problems with the weight of this setup either.

Upping the ante a bit, I switched out the BF15 from this setup and inserted my 2" diagonal, Quark, Baader Solar telecompressor and the Cemax 25mm eyepiece. I needed to recenter, but that's not unexpected given the extra mass at the back of the scope. Again it tracked wonderfully and I enjoyed views through the eyepiece even if the sun was quiet.

Next step I swapped the eyepiece for my Grasshopper camera for a full disk shot of the sun. The fov is about 0.7 degrees vertically, so not much wiggle room on the chip. Despite the sun disappearing in and out of the clouds there were no issues with the tracking and the sun remained centered in the fov. There was a bit of movement but only a few arc minutes, more than acceptable!

Given this mount just sits on the top of the EQ6 tripod 'ready for action' I can see it is going to get frequent use, and may well be the one that's used regularly for full disk shots with the smaller scopes. It will certainly make the perfect travelling mount. It definitely needs a decent tripod, and i'm going to look at a more secure interface than just the 3/8" thread at the bottom as this has a tendency to allow to rotation despite how tight is done up. All very minor concerns. If skywatcher did a similar one that could hold bigger scopes it would be a winner!

Mark
Thanks for for the report Mark! Can you give an weight estimate of the heaviest configuration you used?

Dan
South central Indiana
USA
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

dhkaiser wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:58 pm Can you give an weight estimate of the heaviest configuration you used?
Hi Dan

I just weighed the Lunt50/ED60/Quark combo and it came in at 4.2kg, a shade over Skywatchers stated capacity of 4kg.

Mark

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
dhkaiser

Post by dhkaiser »

Thanks Mark, very close to my Lunt 60mm DS with blocking filter heater. Interesting mount. Thanks.

Dan
South central Indiana
USA
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

As an aside, I replaced the 3 black thumbscrews at the top of the sky watcher extension pillar today. I just feel they can't get tight enough and there is play. I replaced using stainless steel allen bolts, that with an allen key offer a tighter fit. However, beware, the extension column aluminium and feel then tensile strength of the soft aluminium being put to the test, it would be very easy to strip the threads. Need to look at an alternative longer term...

fedele
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by fedele »

can be used for common Planetary imaging, night works etc?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

fedele wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:50 am can be used for common Planetary imaging, night works etc?
Solarquest, no, it is only for the sun...

TAILSPIN45
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by TAILSPIN45 »

Late to the gamer, but just a note to clear up a point that has some folks here confused: the camera on the SolarQuest mount is only used for acquisition and not for tracking, according to Sky-Watcher tech support.

TAILSPIN45
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by TAILSPIN45 »

After further use...it's clear that what I weas told and what I wrote is incorrect.

When clouds move it, tracking becomes erratic or stops

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

TAILSPIN45 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:47 pm When clouds move it, tracking becomes erratic or stops
Yup, I found this too.

SimonM
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by SimonM »

TAILSPIN45 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:07 pm Camera on the SolarQuest mount is only used for acquisition and not for tracking, according to Sky-Watcher tech support.
I'm using only a "low tech" acquisition method using only the Tele-Vue Sol Searcher. Tracking is just the mount in Sun mode.
marktownley wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:26 am
TAILSPIN45 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:47 pm When clouds move it, tracking becomes erratic or stops
Yup, I found this too.
Interesting that clouds cause it to either hiccup or start over again. I'm also using an EQ6-R Pro mount - that tracks accurately forever with/without clouds, with a "lift legs and rotate" quick polar alignment with a phone app being sufficient and then a "slew" to the Sun. Acquisition with (Rate = 5) on handset, works good.

Simon

WAskywatcher
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by WAskywatcher »

I bought my 70mm Solarquest combo a few weeks ago, decided to buy the Coronado to use with the mount.....
How the hell do I get the 70mm off the mount ..??

SusieQ
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by SusieQ »

Hi. I am getting ready to use my SolarQuest for the first time and have misplaced the DC adapter cover. I think I'd prefer using batteries so I don't have to think about cable wrap. Would I possibly regret not getting a replacement DC adapter? Would some of you please let me know which you prefer and why?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

SusieQ wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:42 am Hi. I am getting ready to use my SolarQuest for the first time and have misplaced the DC adapter cover. I think I'd prefer using batteries so I don't have to think about cable wrap. Would I possibly regret not getting a replacement DC adapter? Would some of you please let me know which you prefer and why?
I use a rechargeable 12v LiPo battery, lasts much lomnger than 'normal' batteries.