Weekend Scenery

Lets brighten up peoples live with all those lovely pictures of the world around us!

Moderator: Montana

MapleRidge
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Weekend Scenery

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi everyone...

We had clear skies both Saturday and Sunday mornings, and both afternoons transitioned to a mix of sun and cloud. While driving into work on Saturday the early morning sun was lighting up the landscape and the fall colors added to some of the views.

First is a panorama of my work (Oakwood Ag-Center), with a few of the tress along the north side of the lot showing a little color. The gibbous moon is also visible in to the upper right of the right most grain bin. For those who are interested, the buildings in the pic are as follows...moving from far left to the right. Left most building is the seed warehouse (bulk seed storage bins are blocked by other buildings), the second building (foreground) is the retail store and feed warehouse, the building in the background is the fertilizer warehouse and tower blender, the small building to the back of the view is the shop, and the the large complex of of gain bins, elevator legs, and conveyors is the grain elevator. Out of the frame to the left is where a new higher capacity fertilizer plant is being built, and should be ready to ship product next May.
OAC.jpg
OAC.jpg (432.01 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
I always joked that I'd be retired by the time the fertilizer facilities were upgraded...I'll see if they beat me to it :lol:

The first sight that caught my attention on the way into work was a small flock of Canada Geese that were cleaning up waste corn in the neighbors field:
Geese.jpg
Geese.jpg (763.06 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
The next farm on the route had turned the sheep out a little earlier and they were busy grazing or soaking up the sun. A pretty sight with lots of fall lambs in the paddocks :
Sheep.jpg
Sheep.jpg (782.14 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
The paddock to the west of the sheep had a flock of Sandhill Cranes as well:
Sheep&Cranes.jpg
Sheep&Cranes.jpg (676.23 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Later in the day on Sunday, I passed another group of cranes in a field a few miles from home. The clouds had settled in light showers had begun:
Cranes-2.jpg
Cranes-2.jpg (847.75 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
There is my recap of some of the weekend scenery around my home and work.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Weekend Scenery

Post by Montana »

These are fabulous Brian, it is so nice to see your scenery, it doesn't look too wintery yet :)Also good the Sandhill Cranes are back :hamster:

Here is a pic of my back garden. From left to right, the Oak hasn't changed colour at all yet, the Silver Birch tries to go yellow every year, but most of the leaves go brown and drop off first. Then on the right is the Paper-bark Maple, it is supposed to go bright red and it did when it was small but the last 10 years it gets to this point, we either get frost and it goes brown and they all drop off, or, it is so slow to change colour that those which are red drop off, then you are left with green again, then some turn red and drop off, and so on. I wish it would change colour all at once and give a spectacular show, I can live in hope ;) Far right, the Magnolias when they were small turned bright yellow in November, now for the past 10 years they stay green all the way to Christmas or all drop off in a frost. I don't think the UK is the best place for Autumn colour.
DSC01844a.jpg
DSC01844a.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1079 times
Alexandra

MapleRidge

Re: Weekend Scenery

Post by MapleRidge »

Thanks for the pic...I see where it is now! Certainly not a lot of bright/vivid color, much like our colors this fall.

Certainly not very winter like here yet...LOL. The canes actually came back the first week of August right around the harvest of winter wheat and they had lots of grain to feast on (along with the Canada Geese). They have learned that there is lots to eat over the fall following harvest of cereals grain, soybeans, and corn. The past few years they have stayed into early November, but tend to fly off once a few snowfalls hit the ground.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM