New member and new start in solar help

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

New member and new start in solar help

Post by TareqPhoto »

Hi/Hey all,

I am a new member here, and i want to learn more about solar and enjoy it as much as i can, i decided that it is time for me to get into solar as i live in a country with the Sun like it is more than the water we drink.

I don't know how to start into solar while the budget is little to almost none, i can't afford expensive gear such as Lunt scopes/tools or SolarMax and equivalent, i might start with a Wedge that i ordered, but i don't know how much far i can go with it and how can i afford to get Ha solar in future if possible.

Also which cameras are recommended for better results into solar imaging.

Thank you

DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: New member and new start in solar help

Post by DeepSolar64 »

White light viewing is the easiest to start on a budget. A decent achromatic refractor, even a small one will easily show many sunspots and faculae at the limb. The granulation of the photosphere will even show itself as a very fine mottling. A solar wedge, or Herschel wedge shows the best contrast and detail but glass and film filters over the objective work well too.

As far as cameras I use the ZWO ASI178MM monochrome camera. Always use monochrome for solar. Color can be added back in editing if wished. Despite this I have used my iPhone and iPad cameras for acceptable afocal imaging of the solar limb in Ha and sunspots in white light.

You will find a lot of friendly people here who are very knowledgeable and I know they have been a big help to me. Welcome to SolarChat. The best solar group of folks on the web!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

I can't add much more than James has added above, as clearly to keep the costs low, he as explained very well.

You say that "you have ordered a Wedge" as in a Hershel Wedge/HW, so presumably you already have a telescope ???

If so, then - please advise what scope or scopes you have and also do you have some sort of tracking-mount/GOTO or otherwise ???

Also remember, that almost any type of camera - could be capable of actually taking images - either through an Eye-Piece/EP (AFOCAL) or with a T-MOUNT into a PROPERLY-FILTERED scope itself, so perhaps you could advise of such camera(s) ???

Basically though, starting with White-Light/WL visual observing/imaging is the cheapest and easiest way to start out for Solar purposes and of course one can also go down the method of sketch-drawing through an EP, of which there are at least two SolarChatter's who post here with their excellent drawings...

Of course - we are only too keen to advise you further - for your interest...

Best wishes
Terry

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Hello and a warm welcome. I started with Ha but starting with WL is a better idea. Once you start getting your first results in WL, it will motivate you to try other and new things. Solar imaging has a wide range of options available and it may take you years to experiment and enjoy them all.

Franco

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A very warm and sunny welcome :hamster:

Certainly white light is the best place to start, you can see sunspot groups and faculae on the limbs, you can watch them develop and progress across the solar disc over time. Sketching is the best place to start and learn to observe but a camera can follow. For camera suggestions we would need to know what telescope you are using? The cheapest for white light is Baader solar film but if you already have a wedge that is just as good. You may want to experiment with different coloured filters which can enhance the contrast of granulation like the Continuum filter too.

I think once you have mastered this perhaps the cheapest entry into hydrogen alpha would be the Coronado PST or the Lunt 40mm, both will give you great views of plage, flares and prominences.

We are always here to help so we look forward to hearing and seeing all your progress :)

Alexandra

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:20 am White light viewing is the easiest to start on a budget. A decent achromatic refractor, even a small one will easily show many sunspots and faculae at the limb. The granulation of the photosphere will even show itself as a very fine mottling. A solar wedge, or Herschel wedge shows the best contrast and detail but glass and film filters over the objective work well too.

As far as cameras I use the ZWO ASI178MM monochrome camera. Always use monochrome for solar. Color can be added back in editing if wished. Despite this I have used my iPhone and iPad cameras for acceptable afocal imaging of the solar limb in Ha and sunspots in white light.

You will find a lot of friendly people here who are very knowledgeable and I know they have been a big help to me. Welcome to SolarChat. The best solar group of folks on the web!

James
Hi James,

Thank you very much for your answers.

I will use all scopes that are within recommended for the Wedge, less than 120mm, i might start with my achromat ST80 and go from there.

I have two mono cameras for planetary and more mono for DSO, definitely will use mono for solar, just wanted to see what people really prefer.

I hope i am in the right place for solar discussion and chat with friendly people here, and just to be clear to all, i many times put fires in my questions or discussions as i try to go so much deep in learning even if i don't do it, just hope people bear in mind with me, and definitely all are appreciated and respected.

Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:42 am I can't add much more than James has added above, as clearly to keep the costs low, he as explained very well.

You say that "you have ordered a Wedge" as in a Herschel Wedge/HW, so presumably you already have a telescope ???

If so, then - please advise what scope or scopes you have and also do you have some sort of tracking-mount/GOTO or otherwise ???

Also remember, that almost any type of camera - could be capable of actually taking images - either through an Eye-Piece/EP (AFOCAL) or with a T-MOUNT into a PROPERLY-FILTERED scope itself, so perhaps you could advise of such camera(s) ???

Basically though, starting with White-Light/WL visual observing/imaging is the cheapest and easiest way to start out for Solar purposes and of course one can also go down the method of sketch-drawing through an EP, of which there are at least two SolarChatter's who post here with their excellent drawings...

Of course - we are only too keen to advise you further - for your interest...

Best wishes
Terry
Hello Terry,

Ok, i have to mention my gear so all people have an idea of what i have so they can advise or help better.

First, the telescopes:
1. Skywatcher StarTravel 80mm
2. Skywatcher Skymax 180mm Maksutov
3. Meade LX70 R8 8" F5 Newtonian
4. GSO 6" F4 Newtonian
5. TS Optics 90mm F6 APO triplet [FPL-55 version]
6. Askar FRA400 [72mm Quintuplet]
7. Apertura 60mm F6 doublet
8. Sky Rover 60mm F6 doublet
8. DSLR lenses such as Canon 300mm 2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8II and 135mm and more, but lenses i will ignore or pass and stick with scopes.

Second, cameras, and here i will mention only planetary cameras:
1. QHY5L-II-M used only for guiding in DSO imaging
2. ZWO ASI385MC
3. ZWO ASI178MC
4. ZWO ASI290MM
5. ZWO ASI174MM
6. I had ZWO ASI120MC but damaged and it is in its own box dead and abandoned/left completely.

Third, mount:
Here i have only Skywatcher AZ-EQ6, it is nice, can handle each my scopes i have, and i am thinking about another mount in future for DSO with larger scopes, but i am in this site for solar only and small to average sizes.

I ordered a Herschel Wedge with CaK filter, not something dedicated, but i liked the results so far from someone or few with that combo so i ordered to give it a try and have a start at least, later hopefully i can upgrade to Ha imaging, and i will think more about which, but for now i don't mind doing a white light for a while to get wet and have a background or knowledge about it before i go further in future.

Thank you

Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

ffellah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:15 pm Hello and a warm welcome. I started with Ha but starting with WL is a better idea. Once you start getting your first results in WL, it will motivate you to try other and new things. Solar imaging has a wide range of options available and it may take you years to experiment and enjoy them all.

Franco
Franco Hi,

Ok, i have no other choice but to play with the WL for now, i ordered the wedge so i have to give it a try and use it for a while until i can afford something for Ha, i hope it won't give me headaches, and i must do it these days where the weather is colder and the sun is less heat, in summer it will be nearly impossible with the heat reaching maximum, so i have only like 2-4 months per year to do solar imaging.

I supposed to get a delivery of my orders yesterday Wednesday including the Wedge so i can use it very soon, but i have to wait a bit, hopefully it will show by this month, and i hope that the sky stay clear, and sky condition is ideal, not sure, but i will give it a try and see how it will go.

Thank you
Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Montana wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm A very warm and sunny welcome :hamster:

Certainly white light is the best place to start, you can see sunspot groups and faculae on the limbs, you can watch them develop and progress across the solar disc over time. Sketching is the best place to start and learn to observe but a camera can follow. For camera suggestions we would need to know what telescope you are using? The cheapest for white light is Baader solar film but if you already have a wedge that is just as good. You may want to experiment with different coloured filters which can enhance the contrast of granulation like the Continuum filter too.

I think once you have mastered this perhaps the cheapest entry into hydrogen alpha would be the Coronado PST or the Lunt 40mm, both will give you great views of plage, flares and prominences.

We are always here to help so we look forward to hearing and seeing all your progress :)

Alexandra
Hi Alexandra,

Thank you for welcoming me here, so nice and kind :D

I answered Terry above about my equipment, so you can have the idea, i don't lack things much, because i started a while ago in 2017 and kept growing with my equipment, but i was only at DSO and planetary that time without solar, although i bought a solar filter film for my ST80 but i didn't use it really, maybe it is a time to do that soon, no point i bought it and never use it, i also bought Continuum filter and also didn't use it, i was busy in life and DSO and planetary and was thinking about that i only have to start and go with Ha solar imaging only, but recently i saw nice result from the wedge with CaK filter and that changed my mind, so i can't wait to give that a try.

I will keep thinking about Lunt or PST or DayStar or whatever else to start Ha solar imaging with good results, but something affordable, i can afford something like $800-1500 at best for that later, but i don't want to start and then pushing myself too much further and spend much more than that, i still keep spending a lot for DSO and planetary gear, solar isn't my top priority now, but definitely i have to add it into my collection, and i will definitely go for Ha sooner or later, hopefully something affordable and long lasting without thinking about replacing or adding much.

Thank you again, appreciate all help and comments i get from here, hopefully things will be better once i start.

By the way, English isn't my main language, and i hope i did well in it as i keep using it since years, but forgive my mistakes i do in my typings, correct me so i can learn, but main point is that i can understand you and you can understand me enough.

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
You are actually very well equipped with telescopes and cameras. All you really lack is an Ha scope. In time you could buy an affordable one like a Lunt LS40 Tha, a Coronado PST or a DayStar Quark to fit one of your current scopes. White light is a good place to start though. It's affordable and still shows interesting detail.

What brand of wedge did you buy? And you mentioned a CaK filter. Did you get a Baader K-Line filter or other brand that screws into the eyepiece barrel? Lunt's CaK module and the DayStar CaK Quark are better but much more expensive.

Remember to check in on us here on SolarChat as well from time to time.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:18 am Tareq,
You are actually very well equipped with telescopes and cameras. All you really lack is an Ha scope. In time you could buy an affordable one like a Lunt LS40 Tha, a Coronado PST or a DayStar Quark to fit one of your current scopes. White light is a good place to start though. It's affordable and still shows interesting detail.

What brand of wedge did you buy? And you mentioned a CaK filter. Did you get a Baader K-Line filter or other brand that screws into the eyepiece barrel? Lunt's CaK module and the DayStar CaK Quark are better but much more expensive.

Remember to check in on us here on SolarChat as well from time to time.

James
I am trying to be ready and have good equipment to do astrophotography, i was blown away with DSO, then sooner or later i got impressed with planetary and by the time solar also got me a bug, now i feel like i want to do all and everything astro as much i can, but life got me too and family and other things in life that i hate to talk about, will see what i will do sooner or later.

Because i am planning to buy scopes for DSO and planetary [visual and imaging], i have no plan to get Ha solar scope now, and i don't want to start with something cheap or simple and upgrade later, i can't afford Lunt 80 or Lunt 60 or even SolarMax, but i won't go with Lunt 40 only because it is cheap, Daystar is kind of a hope because i can use it on different scopes, so i can use the aperture to my advantage somehow, but that is something i have to think about, many keep telling me that Lunt is superior, so i don't want to do mistakes then buying and keep buying again later, but i will have time to decide on Ha later after i do enough DSO and planetary and WL solar.

I bought Antlia solar Wedge, i so that they have it at good price including CaK filter 3nm [393.xxx] something, not sure how good it is, but one or two results i saw i really liked, was good enough, so i felt like i can give that a try, Calcium is also nice, not as good as Lunt/Quark, but something is better than nothing, and i am going more for the ful disc results which will be good, and this Wedge mentioned by maker to be used with 120mm aperture scopes as maximum, so i can't go much closer, not sure if using something like 80mm with a Barlow could be ok or risky, definitely not with my Mak or any reflectors, but not sure if something like 90mm triplet can do ok, otherwise i buy something like 100/120mm achro just for this solar, but then i have to add more such as Quark to keep using it.

I think i say thi site in the past but i was scared to join, i felt like it is an ATOM making site or Astro Physics level, but by the time i read and get more knowledge i felt like i should join, but i didn't until i got something about solar which is the Wedge, then i can start, otherwise i might join here long time ago and only chat ask discuss and nothing else and i stop one day or people might feel i am just a waste here, so hopefully i can enjoy here and learn and share as much it is possible, thank you very much.

Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Here are examples i saw from this Wedge, not that Lunt quality level, but it is fine for now.

https://www.facebook.com/antliafilter/p ... 682858228/

https://www.facebook.com/antliafilter/p ... 059902124/

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/mo ... 720382.jpg

https://www.cloudynights.com/uploads/mo ... 608749.jpg

It is really amazing to see that all or most of those are done with ASI178MM, i have this camera but a color, i bought ASI174MM because that time i read that it is best one for solar, hopefully it is, i do have 290 to give it a try, just don't ant to buy another camera only for the sun, but i see there is a new camera for that, not cheap, so maybe one day if i get Ha then i can think about a camera.

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Welcome Tareq. Hopefully lots of useful information for you here.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
pedro

Post by pedro »

Welcome to solarchat Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Carbon60 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:44 am Welcome Tareq. Hopefully lots of useful information for you here.

Stu.
Thank you, Stu :)

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

pedro wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:52 pm Welcome to solarchat Tareq
Thank you Pedro!

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello again Tareq.
Your English is well good and easy to understand and yes it is so good to have you on board SolarChat - where we all can learn so much from others to help and improve our knowledge of anything Solar..

You already have significant scopes suitable for WL, Ha, CaK and even other lines of light, by using the various filters (Blocking Filters) etc., as many here already use these filters on their own non-Solar scopes.

Some of the best things about Solar viewing and imaging, is of course, as long as you can see the Sun and point a scope at it, one or more filters will usually be able to capture some of the artifacts on the disk or the limb - as shown though the zillions of archived pages - here on SC.

You have an excellent-mount, which is quite capable of handling heavy scopes, or as I, in my main-observatory have three scopes mounted and aligned on the same mount, so with it's very good capability of tracking the Sun and linking/controllable by the PC is a joy to use.

Unlike DS and Planetary, Solar and Lunar imaging can take as little as a very-few milli-seconds for a single-frame shot and usually not much more than a few-seconds for a large stack of images, compared to those numerous minutes/hours for DS captures...
Equally processing often needs a matter of a few minutes each, so more time for enjoying the results too and when satisfied for posting here and/or elsewhere too.

I would guess that your TS Optics 90mm F6 APO triplet [FPL-55 version] would be absolutely ideal for WL + HW and the various options for Ha, Calcium H or K line imaging initially, where the need to buy the relevant Blocking-Filter into that scope would be a way forward. Certainly it is not necessary to buy a whole SolarScope, rather than to get the filters only - may be the way forward.

The cameras you have, will certainly be suitable for Solar and Lunar use, bearing in mind the targets are much the same size from the observer, so
using :-
https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/ for Field of View.

https://astronomy.tools/calculators/ccd_suitability for camera/pixel size recommendation - will already give you a good idea of what you can achieve for Full Disk/FD or close-up's using Barlows etc., and may well be long-before actually setting-up any of your gear for the purpose.

I should have asked if you have an observatory, which if not, then those two programs will definitely help you to get going quicker - whilst out in the open, to have the best set-up that you want to try (before those clouds roll overhead)...

To give you an idea of what I have mounted on my SKYWATCHER AZ-EQ6GT mount under-cover in my main-observatory are:-

LS60THaFT/B1200 LUNT 60mm Hydrogen-Alpha/FeatherTouch/B1200-Blocking-Filter since 17-05-2010
LS50FHa LUNT 50mm Ha Double-Stack Filter since 22-07-2010
LS60TCak/B1200/FT LUNT 60mm Calcium-K/BF1200/FeatherTouch SolarScope since 17-05-2010
LS1.25HW LUNT 31.7mm Hershel-wedge since 12-09-2017
SKYWATCHER ESPRIT-80ED APO TRIPLET+2" Diagonal since 14-05-2021
+ ZWO ASI-178MM x2 and 120MC-S
Sodium QUARK Na D-Line Eyepiece Solar Filter since 18-08-2021
+ 3 x Altair GPCAMS etc...

These are all accurately aligned and generally using SharpCap for the camera downloading - can be easily swapped between - on the PC screen
I also have a Meade 0112128 MEADE 127 ApoChromatic-Triplet 127mm Refractor for planetary and DS use, but is big and heavy - so not on the EQ6GT mount. Other programs such as FireCapture etc., will also be available for your cameras.

True, that I like to just get-on with imaging without fussing about changing-over scopes and/or filters (especially when the UK weather is so awkward in between the clouds - often), to have the three/four lines of lights is much easier to use on the one very capable mount...

With the HW you have ordered as the Antlia Solar Wedge, this should give you better-views with an EP or camera, where granulation may also be achieved compared to Objective-covered filters. If the light-level is a little too-intense. this can be remedied by either lowering the objective from say 90mm to 50/60mm etc., using cut-out masks, or fitting a 1.25" adjustable Polarizing-Filter to the camera or eyepiece.
NOT BEFORE THE HW ITSELF - due to the heat...!!
So a little experimenting to get the best of from the HW...

Anyhow, wishing you the best for your future into Solar-viewing/imaging

Terry

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:56 pm Hello again Tareq.
Your English is well good and easy to understand and yes it is so good to have you on board SolarChat - where we all can learn so much from others to help and improve our knowledge of anything Solar..

You already have significant scopes suitable for WL, Ha, CaK and even other lines of light, by using the various filters (Blocking Filters) etc., as many here already use these filters on their own non-Solar scopes.
Unlike DS and Planetary, Solar and Lunar imaging can take as little as a very-few milli-seconds for a single-frame shot and usually not much more than a few-seconds for a large stack of images, compared to those numerous minutes/hours for DS captures...
Equally processing often needs a matter of a few minutes each, so more time for enjoying the results too and when satisfied for posting here and/or elsewhere too.
I should have asked if you have an observatory, which if not, then those two programs will definitely help you to get going quicker - whilst out in the open, to have the best set-up that you want to try (before those clouds roll overhead)...

To give you an idea of what I have mounted on my SKYWATCHER AZ-EQ6GT mount under-cover in my main-observatory are:-

LS60THaFT/B1200 LUNT 60mm Hydrogen-Alpha/FeatherTouch/B1200-Blocking-Filter since 17-05-2010
LS50FHa LUNT 50mm Ha Double-Stack Filter since 22-07-2010
LS60TCak/B1200/FT LUNT 60mm Calcium-K/BF1200/FeatherTouch SolarScope since 17-05-2010
LS1.25HW LUNT 31.7mm Hershel-wedge since 12-09-2017
SKYWATCHER ESPRIT-80ED APO TRIPLET+2" Diagonal since 14-05-2021
+ ZWO ASI-178MM x2 and 120MC-S
Sodium QUARK Na D-Line Eyepiece Solar Filter since 18-08-2021
+ 3 x Altair GPCAMS etc...

With the HW you have ordered as the Antlia Solar Wedge, this should give you better-views with an EP or camera, where granulation may also be achieved compared to Objective-covered filters. If the light-level is a little too-intense. this can be remedied by either lowering the objective from say 90mm to 50/60mm etc., using cut-out masks, or fitting a 1.25" adjustable Polarizing-Filter to the camera or eyepiece.
NOT BEFORE THE HW ITSELF - due to the heat...!!
So a little experimenting to get the best of from the HW...

Anyhow, wishing you the best for your future into Solar-viewing/imaging

Terry
Hello again Terry,

Thank you very much for your nice answers and reply.

I will clarify more things to you and all others.

I do planetary since 2018, not as old long time as many of you, but i managed to get success in planetary mainly lunar from the beginning, using my Mak, so i know about Sharpcap and Firecapture, those are my main software for capturing solar system targets including the sun soon, and then i do stacking with Autostakkert and further processing with Registax, not sure what else different i need to use for solar, but i have to give it a try.

I should start solar imaging long time ago, but i wasn't into white light actually and i couldn't afford Ha things for solar, by the time passing i was more diving into DSO and planetary without the sun, and the summer here is like HELL, we have so clear skies here, so it is my luck, for DSO i have bad light pollution and still since 2017 i couldn't get decent enough results, while for planetary i got that immediately, so i hope with the sun i don't take time to succeed as well, at least for WL for now.

I don't have observatory, i can't use any space on ground or yard for that, only on my house rooftop, but i hate to go up there with my side house staircase, so i am not so rush about the observatory for now, i have to finish all my equipment in future as much as i can then i can think about it somehow somewhere, and i am thinking about buying a second mount later in future to accommodate heavier scopes, i am not planning to spend more and more for solar, but i will think about maybe one gear for Hydrogen at least, my main is DSO, and also i want to buy a large scope for planets as my Mak is amazing visually but for imaging the planets are just nice but no match at all to bigger larger scopes, i will never stay behind watching others doing with larger and i shy at myself, so if i will plan to spend for larger scope for planetary and also another scope for DSO say 10"/12" RC for example which each needs a better mount than my AZ-EQ6 then it is almost impossible i buy Solar dedicated scopes such as Lunt 60/80 or even high grade SolarMax for example, i can think about Daystar Quark Chromosphere as some did but there are few people other places keep advising me to only look at and get Lunt scopes for Ha, i can afford Lunt 40, or Lunt 50 as single stack as beginning, but i know that i want to go more and more for higher quality or details so i don't want to do the mistake, i will see what i can afford in future for solar Ha and then see if i don't have other plan list.

Thank you very much for helping me, and a good news that my packages just arrived my country which is one including the wedge, can't wait to put it into a use very soon while the sun and weather are cool for now.

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tereq,
I have taken some decent images of the moon also using my Nikon D3500 DSLR and also with my ZWO ASI178MM camera. Both using my Astro-Tech AT72EDII refractor.

I can see most of the detail in the SMII60 that the SMII90 shows. The biggest difference is fine detail, resolution being better in the 90. The 90 will take magnification much better as well. I actually use the smaller scope more. It's easier to set up and is far more portable. I certainly wouldn't let the small size of a Lunt 40 or 50 or a Coronado PST discourage you. They are quite capable little scopes.

You don't have to give your exact location but what country do you live? You mention the summers being really hot.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:23 am Tereq,
I have taken some decent images of the moon also using my Nikon D3500 DSLR and also with my ZWO ASI178MM camera. Both using my Astro-Tech AT72EDII refractor.

I can see most of the detail in the SMII60 that the SMII90 shows. The biggest difference is fine detail, resolution being better in the 90. The 90 will take magnification much better as well. I actually use the smaller scope more. It's easier to set up and is far more portable. I certainly wouldn't let the small size of a Lunt 40 or 50 or a Coronado PST discourage you. They are quite capable little scopes.

You don't have to give your exact location but what country do you live? You mention the summers being really hot.

James
My point is that with experience i made back with photography before and with astro now started with planetary i feel like i don't want to keep doing the same mistake, buying something now and later i upgrade, i can't just buy something now or soon and then in one year or two i go to buy another one, i bought the Mak because i saw someone did amazing beautiful results of the moon with it, so i bought it and i gave it a try on planets, now i hate the Mak because it is giving me beautiful lunar images but so so planets, and i feel like a regret why did i buy this Mak when i could save more and buy something else that will be better and greater than this Mak for both the moon and planets without thinking much to upgrade later, i wanted to change that Mak even from the first year of use.

It is all about budget, if i can afford something for really nice results of Ha then ok, i just don't want to have that kind of so so Ha results and later i want to upgrade, i won't go for highest maximum quality scope anyway, but not the cheapest as well, maybe i need to watch more results then i can decide if i should start with those cheaper affordable ones or not, at least with the SM60II price i can buy a DayStar quark Chrom., and i can use it with many different scopes including the reflectors, unless there is almost same price from Coronado SM to use on many different scopes, or if PST can match some dedicated Ha solar scopes then fine, i bought this Antlia because it sells the Wedge with CaK filter for cheaper than buying each separately individually like from Lunt or Baader.

I am from United Arab Emirates, clear skies, but extreme hot summer [42-50C], even by night it is hot and high humidity, but i get used to that since years now and nothing to do about it, like many here are living under clouds and cold and rains and wind.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

I forgot to ask, once i receive that Wedge soon hopefully, where can i post about it unboxing? And then where can i post results out of it?

I feel a bit lost about which sections are used to post and share results, it will be my first real tool for solar even it is WL and i won't mentioned that solar film filter i don't use, so i am so exciting, time for me to blow the dust from my old beloved ST80 to have the first use, or my newest latest scopes, Sky Rover 60 and Apertura 60 both ED doublets.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
I understand about you wanting to buy something you will be happy with in the long term. A Quark, if you can get a good one would be a good choice. Even better would be a Solar Spectrum filter. They are more pricey but have more contestant quality. You certainly have the equipment to use with either.

That wedge should serve you well. Enjoy for the time being, white light. It has a lot to show and image.

Sincerely

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

TareqPhoto wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:08 am I forgot to ask, once i receive that Wedge soon hopefully, where can i post about it unboxing? And then where can i post results out of it?

I feel a bit lost about which sections are used to post and share results, it will be my first real tool for solar even it is WL and i won't mentioned that solar film filter i don't use, so i am so exciting, time for me to blow the dust from my old beloved ST80 to have the first use, or my newest latest scopes, Sky Rover 60 and Apertura 60 both ED doublets.

My guess would have the wedge unboxing posted in the Commercial Solar Filters/Cameras/Hardware section. The results would probably be posted in the This is SolarChat section of the forum. The moderators could answer that for sure.

I had a ST90 until recently. I gave it to a youngster for Christmas hoping to spark his interest in astronomy.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:14 am Tareq,
I understand about you wanting to buy something you will be happy with in the long term. A Quark, if you can get a good one would be a good choice. Even better would be a Solar Spectrum filter. They are more pricey but have more contestant quality. You certainly have the equipment to use with either.

That wedge should serve you well. Enjoy for the time being, white light. It has a lot to show and image.

Sincerely

James
I can try for the Quark definitely, but not that Solar Spectrum filter if i know what is that, after all i am not trying to go so full ive into solar yet, definitely i will think about Ha along the road, but if things are getting harder and bad situations and i got busy with DSO/planetary with another gear i might not plan to go further, not with budget that much for solar alone.

Yes, i have to try the wedge first and see how much i like it and how much i learn and decide later.

Thank you

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:20 am
TareqPhoto wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:08 am I forgot to ask, once i receive that Wedge soon hopefully, where can i post about it unboxing? And then where can i post results out of it?

My guess would have the wedge unboxing posted in the Commercial Solar Filters/Cameras/Hardware section. The results would probably be posted in the This is SolarChat section of the forum. The moderators could answer that for sure.

I had a ST90 until recently. I gave it to a youngster for Christmas hoping to spark his interest in astronomy.

James
James,

That is so generous from you to present a youngster hoping that he could involve into astronomy, once he falls in the black rabbit hole of astronomy there is no coming back or escape from it, better go and get it back from him as soon as possible :lol:

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Here in the US it's often hard to get kids into intellectual hobbies like astronomy. There's just so many distractions for them. So many of what I see as trivial pursuits. TikToK, video games, TV, FaceBook, etc. Many just don't go outside here anymore like they did in my younger days. I always promote outdoor activities like astronomy and hiking to younger people. It's not easy.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:10 am Here in the US it's often hard to get kids into intellectual hobbies like astronomy. There's just so many distractions for them. So many of what I see as trivial pursuits. TikToK, video games, TV, FaceBook, etc. Many just don't go outside here anymore like they did in my younger days. I always promote outdoor activities like astronomy and hiking to younger people. It's not easy.

James
I understand that, i have two daughters and both of them are not interested in astronomy, i even bought a microscope and that is also no interest for them, one is like 24/7 with phone and the other is like working for Sony Playstation daily, i understand that, even their relatives of same age are the same, so it is global, and the blame is to this technology and speed of life going towards all digital things and social media, so it is no hope now.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

And the great thing is that such technology opens up ways of learning I never had growing up in the 1970s-early 1980s. Computers and smartphones can be used for constructive things! They make wonderful learning tools. I would have eagerly devoured them in my preteen and teen years if the tech would have been present. It was books for me. I don't see many teens in my family ever pick up a book. Even my 30+ stepkids rarely if ever pick up a book. I don't see kids use smartphones/tablets much for constructive learning either. I do feel girls have more hope, at least here. They are generally passing boys up in STEM fields. Girls are a bit more apt to learn. Boys wanna play too much.

Times change and not always for the good. SolarChat is " Social media with a purpose ". Something I wish was more of the norm.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Tareq,

You say that you will be imaging at 40-50 degrees in summer. I would caution using a heated etalon like a Quark or SolarSpectrum. Quarks have no method of cooling and Minh Let has terrible trouble with his Quark when imaging in Vietnam in such high temperatures. Overheating will take the etalon off band. I think Minh has experimented with trying to keep it cool. A SolarSpectrum does have a cooler inbuilt so would probably be easier to handle. However, a regular air spaced etalon would probably be easier to use and more consistent in these extremes. Even so, most are calibrated for use in the normal ranges of heating, so even they can't be guaranteed. Just something to think about.

Alexandra

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hello again Tariq.
Added to Alexandra's important comment, also please be aware that the use of reflector type scopes are not recommended UNLESS THE FRONT OBJECTIVE LENSES ARE PROPERLY FILTERED FOR SOLAR USE. This is because the secondary-mirror will receive the full-force of the Sun's heat and more - likely causing destruction of that secondary-mirror. :cat :cat :cat
+++
Overnight, both yourself and James have been very-busy posting to and from, where much of interest can be read, but now catching-up after my night's sleep-time - it is obvious that you have realised that buying too-quickly can lead to mistakes or lack of use of some items, so the fact that you are now discussing here on SC - is the best place to gain the best knowledge for what is both the best decision-making and of course saving wasting money too.

When you do have some images of "unboxing" and your set-ups etc., then of course we would love to see these on this page as well as your Solar-imagery too... :hamster:

Do spend much-time also looking through the vast-amount of archive/historical posts of this page and of course the various other pages, as you will gain excellent examples of what the many others of us have posted, which will inevitably help you in your quest for all things Solar.

Some posts might be daunting and complex to understand, but starting as you intend with WL and HW usage - will build on you abilities with your existing array of scopes, cameras and the location with the heat too, where ideas to counteract that heat-problem may be gained from this SC Forum..

Best Wishes
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
Living in a much cooler environment than you, I rarely exceed 35C where I live, overheating of the etalons never occurred to me. I am glad Alexandra brought that up. It’s certainly something to be considered.

James.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:05 am And the great thing is that such technology opens up ways of learning I never had growing up in the 1970s-early 1980s. Computers and smartphones can be used for constructive things! They make wonderful learning tools. I would have eagerly devoured them in my preteen and teen years if the tech would have been present. It was books for me. I don't see many teens in my family ever pick up a book. Even my 30+ stepkids rarely if ever pick up a book. I don't see kids use smartphones/tablets much for constructive learning either. I do feel girls have more hope, at least here. They are generally passing boys up in STEM fields. Girls are a bit more apt to learn. Boys wanna play too much.

Times change and not always for the good. SolarChat is " Social media with a purpose ". Something I wish was more of the norm.

James
I grown up with so much video games in my life, and then i got my first mobile by end of my high school or before i graduate, and i even have computers before i graduate the high school, and in university i had mobiles and computers, i am still addicted to computers though, but no more video games, and mobile is almost neglected for me now, only for call or receive call and very few times to use it for social media.

I like technology as long it is being controlled and used wisely, i can't force anyone for that, i leave my daughters to use whatever they want as long i don't feel harm, and i can't force learning to them, i have many scopes and they know that so it is up to them if they want to use and learn about astronomy, they didn't like study in school, so they don't like any hobby that they need to read and learn, i can understand, me, i was a smart kid in the past, so maybe that is why i keep asking and learning and getting into hobbies needs knowledge and experimenting after all.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

Montana wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:17 am Tareq,

You say that you will be imaging at 40-50 degrees in summer. I would caution using a heated etalon like a Quark or SolarSpectrum. Quarks have no method of cooling and Minh Let has terrible trouble with his Quark when imaging in Vietnam in such high temperatures. Overheating will take the etalon off band. I think Minh has experimented with trying to keep it cool. A SolarSpectrum does have a cooler inbuilt so would probably be easier to handle. However, a regular air spaced etalon would probably be easier to use and more consistent in these extremes. Even so, most are calibrated for use in the normal ranges of heating, so even they can't be guaranteed. Just something to think about.

Alexandra
Alexandra,

In summer most likely i don't do any imaging even at night, i feel that the sky is not clean [not much clear if high humidity and hazy], so i don't think i will think about imaging the sun unless if it is not very hot by night then i can wait until morning little bit while the sun is still low in the sky, but it will be not good seeing then, moon planets and also the sun will be affected with turbulence, so to me it is better i avoid the summer or hot weathers, and by that time i might or might not buy something as Ha device/scope for solar.

Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:20 pm Hello again Tariq.
Added to Alexandra's important comment, also please be aware that the use of reflector type scopes are not recommended UNLESS THE FRONT OBJECTIVE LENSES ARE PROPERLY FILTERED FOR SOLAR USE. This is because the secondary-mirror will receive the full-force of the Sun's heat and more - likely causing destruction of that secondary-mirror. :cat :cat :cat
+++
Overnight, both yourself and James have been very-busy posting to and from, where much of interest can be read, but now catching-up after my night's sleep-time - it is obvious that you have realised that buying too-quickly can lead to mistakes or lack of use of some items, so the fact that you are now discussing here on SC - is the best place to gain the best knowledge for what is both the best decision-making and of course saving wasting money too.

When you do have some images of "unboxing" and your set-ups etc., then of course we would love to see these on this page as well as your Solar-imagery too... :hamster:

Do spend much-time also looking through the vast-amount of archive/historical posts of this page and of course the various other pages, as you will gain excellent examples of what the many others of us have posted, which will inevitably help you in your quest for all things Solar.

Some posts might be daunting and complex to understand, but starting as you intend with WL and HW usage - will build on you abilities with your existing array of scopes, cameras and the location with the heat too, where ideas to counteract that heat-problem may be gained from this SC Forum..

Best Wishes
Terry
Hello Terry,

Just to summary it, if i didn't see an affordable wedge or let's say that option from Antlia including the CaK and the result from someone i might never get into solar imaging, and because of this i might try to go further, i saw solar imaging since 2017 or 2018 but i never tried to think seriously to go that direction, last year with Antlia item it was like now is the time to give it a try, and i do like CaK results beside Ha as well, so will see how far i can go with this WL/CaK and then i hope i get into solar Ha too sooner or later.

My way to learn and avoid mistakes is to ask read and research more.

Thank you
Tareq

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:54 pm Tareq,
Living in a much cooler environment than you, I rarely exceed 35C where I live, overheating of the etalons never occurred to me. I am glad Alexandra brought that up. It’s certainly something to be considered.

James.
Definitely James, i will play with this WL for a while while it is still not that hot, we have maybe 2 more months before it get heating up, i will try my best to do something this time before we are heading or entering summer.

The package arrived and delivered finally, i will open or unbox later, i might try to image after tomorrow or prepare tomorrow night for after tomorrow morning if the sky is staying clear, tonight i don't feel i am in mood, also i am checking out another items in the package and learn more, so hopefully i am getting back to imaging more soon after long break, many people on another places waiting me for DSO or even planetary, will see how they will react if i do solar too now.

Thank you.
Tareq

eroel

Post by eroel »

Tareq:
Welcome to this world wide Forum, we always learn something new in this our never ending Hobby.
Best regards.
Eric.

TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

eroel wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:08 pm Tareq:
Welcome to this world wide Forum, we always learn something new in this our never ending Hobby.
Best regards.
Eric.
Hello Eric,
Thank you very much :)

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
During the summer when it is very hot you can safely observe online utilizing the accessible data from NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory and the National Solar Observatories GONG network. I use both to back my visual work at the scope.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:29 pm Tareq,
During the summer when it is very hot you can safely observe online utilizing the accessible data from NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory and the National Solar Observatories GONG network. I use both to back my visual work at the scope.

James
James,
That's cool, i will give it a look and see, thank you again :)

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Tareq,
You might find this useful too!

https://www.helioviewer.org/

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:05 pm Tareq,
You might find this useful too!

https://www.helioviewer.org/

James
Nice helpful site, it will definitely help me and i will enjoy it, thank you very very much again James, so nice site, sounds i will post more here if i keep doing solar imaging more.

Tareq

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Also consider visual observing, Tareq. For me there is nothing like seeing changes on the Sun visually.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:41 pm Also consider visual observing, Tareq. For me there is nothing like seeing changes on the Sun visually.
I hope to do this in a cheap way or affordable way, otherwise i have to give up DSO and planetary for a while and stick with solar to get required gear.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I have gotten lazy lately. I do far more solar than any other branch of observing. For me, solar rules!!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:36 pm I have gotten lazy lately. I do far more solar than any other branch of observing. For me, solar rules!!
Here in my country Solar could definitely rules until summer time, then nothing rules, but i don't know which one i can rock with, i shined with planetary back in 2018 and still nothing great with DSO, so maybe Solar will take place for me soon and that will be my major target imaging and visual for a while, who knows.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

And during the extreme heat let the SDO, GONG and SolarChat be your eyes/scopes!

JP

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:26 pm And during the extreme heat let the SDO, GONG and SolarChat be your eyes/scopes!

JP
Definitely!

Well, i got the packages in one box and i unboxed them mainly that Wedge, cool, now i don't know if they placed the filter inside correctly and at what orientation, later i will post images of this Wedge out of box, and i will take time to figure it out before i go out to test it, i need to take out my ST80 i believe to use, i won't touch my 60mm ED doublet for now and not triplet/quintuplet or reflectors, the achro is likely the best choice here, and with 80mm aperture it is best FOV, and i need to choose between 174 and 290, most likely i will go with 174mm, but the scope is F/5, should i use my focal extenders?

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

If you use a narrowband filter behind the wedge the achromat will be fine since the filter will probably remove any chromatic aberration present, especially in a short fl refractor. Without a narrowband filter viewing in true continuum the ED/Apochromats are probably a better choice. My Orion70 does have some CA without the filter making the sunspots a little less black and having a little effect at the limb but it’s surprisingly small. I usually use a 540nm continuum filter with the wedge on the C102 plus it’s an f10 system. No CA at all. My AT72EDII has no CA on the sun in continuum without the filter at all.

JP

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
TareqPhoto
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by TareqPhoto »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:14 pm If you use a narrowband filter behind the wedge the achromat will be fine since the filter will probably remove any chromatic aberration present, especially in a short fl refractor. Without a narrowband filter viewing in true continuum the ED/Apochromats are probably a better choice. My Orion70 does have some CA without the filter making the sunspots a little less black and having a little effect at the limb but it’s surprisingly small. I usually use a 540nm continuum filter with the wedge on the C102 plus it’s an f10 system. No CA at all. My AT72EDII has no CA on the sun in continuum without the filter at all.

JP
The wedge came with the filter, i ordered the one with CaK filter i already mentioned, i don't know if i can remove the filter or not i am sure i can, but for now i leave it as it is with the filter inside, it is just i am not sure if the place of the filter is correct, and CaK is i narrowbanding filter after all and you know where is that band, i do have a continuum filter too but i am not using two different filters at once, i once tested the continuum with the filter film and i didn't like the results, and didn't try more anyway.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Your CaK filter sounds like the Baader K-line filter or something similar They are good for viewing faculae further into the disc than what can be seen using the 540nm continuum filter. Visually you will find a 540nm filter much better for visual use since the eye is much more sensitive to that wavelength.

I may end up getting a K-line filter since the ultra narrowband CaK filters have gone through the roof on price. But they won’t show the fine detail the Lunt CaK modules do.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars