My best ever resolution and clarity in Ha with 280mm cannon!

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

My best ever resolution and clarity in Ha with 280mm cannon!

Post by Valery »

Hi all,

I finally found some time to process my images from last week.

In particular I found the movie with good (but not really good) seeing.

After processing in several ways I found one result worth to show to
public - solar images and observers.

I have used a 280mm sun microscope ;) equipped with ARIES full size 295mm D-ERF.

I was impressed with the level of fine details this movie captured. I wish I always have
such movies for processing.

Thanks for looking.

image is double clickabale for a full resolution.

Valery
Attachments
04_22_2016 UT 09h 00m 280mm + ARIES 295mm D-ERF + ASI174MM AR12532.png
Last edited by Valery on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
eroel

Re: AR 12532 under 280mm solar microscope. Sun's microreli

Post by eroel »

Valery:
That sure is a big big microscope. ;)
Beautiful high resolution image of the solar chromosphere.
Best regards,
Eric.

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Post by michael.h.f.wilkinson »

Amazing shot

Solar kit: GP-C8 with Thousand Oaks Solar filter, APM 80mm F/6, Lunt Herschel Wedge, Solar Spectrum 0.3Å H-alpha filter, Beloptic Tri-Band ERF (80mm free aperture), Thousand Oaks 90mm ERF, Coronado SolarMax II 60mm with Double Stack Unit. Lunt straight B1800 Ca-K module.
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

An OMG moment, Valery. Stunning detail in this wonderful image.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Another stunner Valery! Thanks for sharing!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Thanks Valery

Valery

Post by Valery »

Ghost-Fire wrote:Valery: if you ever have the time, or can find it. Please upload some of your longest data (2gb free) to http://www.wetransfer.com , I wish to use some of my time to animate a few seconds worth of your capture moments!!

It will be astounding to see what can be timelapsed in such a short period with your remarkable and unique setup.
Apollo,

I will need more stable weather for such an aperture.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
GuillermoBarrancos
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: My best ever resolution and clarity in Ha with 280mm can

Post by GuillermoBarrancos »

Very Nice image Valery! :)

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Wow Valery. Congrats on such a stunning image.

Looking forward to seeing what the C14 D-ERF can produce :)

Alfred

astrovale
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by astrovale »

Amazing resolution Valery! You are getting close to the amazing shots made by Harald Paleske and that is, IMHO, the best compliment one could receive in this hobby of ours!
Speaking of processing, I would have liked a little less sharpening. But that is only my personal taste and it takes nothing from this masterpiece. When one is able to achieve these results on a simple, almost featureless (at that resolution "featureless" is in fact almost impossible!) area of chromosphere, it really means that your instrument/ability is a top notch combination!

Valery

Post by Valery »

astrovale wrote:Amazing resolution Valery! You are getting close to the amazing shots made by Harald Paleske and that is, IMHO, the best compliment one could receive in this hobby of ours!
Speaking of processing, I would have liked a little less sharpening. But that is only my personal taste and it takes nothing from this masterpiece. When one is able to achieve these results on a simple, almost featureless (at that resolution "featureless" is in fact almost impossible!) area of chromosphere, it really means that your instrument/ability is a top notch combination!
Thanks, Luca, for your notes.

About the noise. There is a rule in a scientific photography/imaging: to extract maximum possible details, we need allow some photon noise in an image.
This is my view too. There are enough artists in solar imagers who prefer denoised images and trade off as some details loss. Possibly I need to use a larger scale and then denies image like Harald doing, but for now I prefer to stick with scientific approach to the imaging in Ha. Note, that our colleague Thierry Legault does the same style of sun imaging in H-a with a great success.

I can tell more - I very much prefer your and Harald's style of imaging in CaK. However, so far, all my attempts to repeat such a results with CaK granulations just failed. May be I need to get a specialized CaK telescope.

Valery

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Valery...

That is a very sharp pic...really shows off the potential on the larger apertures :bow

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Valery

Post by Valery »

yltansg wrote:Wow Valery. Congrats on such a stunning image.

Looking forward to seeing what the C14 D-ERF can produce :)

Alfred
Thanks, Alfred

Yes. I am the most impatient for the C14 debute in H-a imaging.

Valery.

Wah
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Wah »

:bow :bow :bow

jp-brahic
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by jp-brahic »

Great résolution Valery !!! how many frames staked?

i have a big respect for H-Paleske but its images are fuzzy most of the time in a H-alpha and it for 2 reasons, it's not a question of denoise

The first one it's because his objective is not corrected for a H-alpha, the sphérochromatisme is certainly centered around 550Nm and not 656 Nm, so this Set-up Has to correspond around to L/2 in a H-alpha and not L/4 or more , that why the fuzzy picture when you 'are at L/2 with any instrument, it is difficult to have sharp images

on the other hand, the sampling which it uses is far too big for 225 mm especially with An aberration of important sphericity in the red

JP

Réfractor Spécial H-Alpha (Istar optical ) 230mm F/D 9
Solar Télescope Cassegrain CFF 350mm F/D 20 Clearceram + ERF-D Tri Band 312mm ARIES Instruments.
TN 450mm F/D 4 Zerodur

Web Site : http://jp-brahic.chez-alice.fr/

Astrobin : https://www.astrobin.com/users/jp-brahic/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

You make 2 very valid points there JP, certainly not unique to Harald at all...

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
GaborKiss
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GaborKiss »

This resolution is amazing. A question for you all with the big guns :) Many of you started to use 200mm+ apertures. Do you have also animations with such apertures? I've seen Mark you made a great one on the small spot already. Maybe JP has some with the 230mm refractor or do you Valery with your HaT scope?

Thanks in advance, Gabor

(btw I ask this because I've seen some great animations today on Andy Devey's site with his Coronado SM90 scope, would be interested what can be done with 200mm+)

Currently out of equipment, but still around to see your images! :)
alintolea
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by alintolea »

The images are basically monochromatic, so chromatism is not an issue.

Not sure what the relative contribution the spherical aberration has in this case (as in I don't know).

Most large refractors I know don't even claim to be lambda/4 corrected...

However, what really matters is how much of the light goes into the Airy disk here. The image looks extraordinary, don't know the exact image scale, but I'd guess .7" resolution. That'd very close to the 0.66" at halpha resolution for a 25cm telescope..

Given daytime seeing is so crappy in general, I'd say this is a very nice accomplishment.

Wah wrote::bow :bow :bow

Valery

Post by Valery »

alintolea wrote:The images are basically monochromatic, so chromatism is not an issue.

Not sure what the relative contribution the spherical aberration has in this case (as in I don't know).

Most large refractors I know don't even claim to be lambda/4 corrected...

However, what really matters is how much of the light goes into the Airy disk here. The image looks extraordinary, don't know the exact image scale, but I'd guess .7" resolution. That'd very close to the 0.66" at halpha resolution for a 25cm telescope..

Given daytime seeing is so crappy in general, I'd say this is a very nice accomplishment.

Wah wrote::bow :bow :bow

alintolea,

Jean Pierre did mean not my telescope and not this picture at the start of this topic.
He tried to guess the refractor owned by our friend Harald Paleske and tried to conclude
why his pictures are less detailed.

As for picture I managed to take and showing here, this picture indeed reached the theoretical
resolution for a 280mm aperture at 656nm wave length. My C11 280mm telescope is OK at 656nm.
Fore linear structures like thin filaments the resolution is even higher - a well known effect.

Valery

Valery

Post by Valery »

GaborKiss wrote:This resolution is amazing. A question for you all with the big guns :) Many of you started to use 200mm+ apertures. Do you have also animations with such apertures? I've seen Mark you made a great one on the small spot already. Maybe JP has some with the 230mm refractor or do you Valery with your HaT scope?

Thanks in advance, Gabor

(btw I ask this because I've seen some great animations today on Andy Devey's site with his Coronado SM90 scope, would be interested what can be done with 200mm+)

Gabor,

First of all, I do not use a HaT telescope with coated corrector. Opposite, I do use an optional D-ERF filter which is installed in a front of corrector of the C11 280mm telescope.

To make animation(s) one need:

1. Good mount which is well polar aligned to exclude constant sun movement across the FOV or it will need constantly correct sun position in the FOV

2. Certain amount of patience (I am not such sort of person)

3. Good seeming during certain amount of time (1-2-3 hours) which is problematic even with 150mm apertures not say about larger instruments.

This is a rare coincidence, I believe and I saw a few animations by Jean Pierre Brahic with his excellent 230mm refractor and two animations by our fiend Mark Townley with his C8 HaT telescope.

Upon request by Apollo Lasky, I will prepare a short animation of the AR12529 sun spot area I photographed April 12.
May be it will show something interesting.

In a near future I will permanently install my C14 telescope and possibly will tray to time-lapse some interesting features on the sun. But not right now.

Valery

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote:Gabor,

First of all, I do not use a HaT telescope with coated corrector. Opposite, I do use an optional D-ERF filter which is installed in a front of corrector of the C11 280mm telescope.

To make animation(s) one need:

1. Good mount which is well polar aligned to exclude constant sun movement across the FOV or it will need constantly correct sun position in the FOV

2. Certain amount of patience (I am not such sort of person)

3. Good seeming during certain amount of time (1-2-3 hours) which is problematic even with 150mm apertures not say about larger instruments.

This is a rare coincidence, I believe and I saw a few animations by Jean Pierre Brahic with his excellent 230mm refractor and two animations by our fiend Mark Townley with his C8 HaT telescope.

Upon request by Apollo Lasky, I will prepare a short animation of the AR12529 sun spot area I photographed April 12.
May be it will show something interesting.

In a near future I will permanently install my C14 telescope and possibly will tray to time-lapse some interesting features on the sun. But not right now.

Valery
You can do it that way, or, my way ;)

1) Plonk the mount down outside pointing it roughly north and then use the Hinode solar guider to compensate for my poor polar alignment.

2) Start firecapture recording using the autorun feature, go inside the house, make a coffee and have some breakfast. In post processing use batch process in ImPPG and image processor in CS6 to automatically create the animation.

3) I never even have clear skies that long! :D Just record what there is and see what comes out.

To be fair, and these apertures you can record changes in seconds so you don't need to be exposing for long.

I think animations will be one way of making blank bits of sun appear quite interesting in the years ahead in solar minimum, which is why I want to practice this craft now.

GaborKiss
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GaborKiss »

To be honest I asked about the animation first, because it's very interesting and in my latest thread, where I asked about "scientific contribution" I received a link where you can clearly use these for scientific purposes: http://www.fchroma.org/

Valery I got you with the seeing, well normally in my country Hungary seeing is average or below average, not sure if a 200mm+ scope would give any better results than a 150mm scope (maybe a very few percentage of the time).

Mark please show us more of those animations :)

As I work from home I would have typically 4-5 days a week minimum where I could try to make such animations, and I could check the tracking as well on another monitor (while working on my two main computers).

Cheers,
Gabor

Valery

Post by Valery »

GaborKiss wrote:
As I work from home I would have typically 4-5 days a week minimum where I could try to make such animations, and I could check the tracking as well on another monitor (while working on my two main computers).

Cheers,
Gabor

So, Gabor, we are looking for a massive flow of animations imaged from your home in Hungary!

Valery

Valery

Post by Valery »

jp-brahic wrote:Great résolution Valery !!! how many frames staked?

JP
Hi Jean,

400frames were stacked in AS2

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

GaborKiss wrote:Mark please show us more of those animations :)
Have a look at my website of images from the last couple of months, there's quite a few on there. :)

jp-brahic
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by jp-brahic »

Gabor Kiss

Here are some solar animations which I made with the 230mm H-Alpha Réfractor, the animations are for me the most interesting to be made, but it is very difficult to have a seeing regular during the 1 hour or more with a sampling of 0.14"/ Pix , If I lived in the " Pic du Midi", I would make only animations :)

During the load of movies you can see how the seeing varies of 30 seconds in 30 seconds

http://www.astrobin.com/full/190360/0/

http://www.astrobin.com/full/132595/0/?real=&mod=

http://www.astrobin.com/full/80740/0/?real=&mod=

with my old AP155 mm in 2012

https://www.astrobin.com/full/136064/None/

JP

Réfractor Spécial H-Alpha (Istar optical ) 230mm F/D 9
Solar Télescope Cassegrain CFF 350mm F/D 20 Clearceram + ERF-D Tri Band 312mm ARIES Instruments.
TN 450mm F/D 4 Zerodur

Web Site : http://jp-brahic.chez-alice.fr/

Astrobin : https://www.astrobin.com/users/jp-brahic/
pedro

Post by pedro »

Amazing animations JP. The Loop prom is fantastic, I remember it well

GaborKiss
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by GaborKiss »

Hi again,

Valery: well, first I want to finish my 14" planetary Newtonian (mirror is finished by Rik ter Horst next month after 14 months of waiting), but I am curious about this modified Celestron for sure. I just go to Tenerife, my business partner just bought a flat there and he told me I can use it anytime for observations if needed. Seeing should be much better than here :)

Mark: I checked all your animations on your site! But want more :)

JP: great animations, big thank you!

Cheers,
Gabor

Valery

Post by Valery »

jp-brahic wrote: If I lived in the " Pic du Midi", I would make only animations :)

JP
Me too. But I will try even at my backyard in the days of good seeing.

Valery

Valery

Post by Valery »

What can be recorded with the 1,6m telescope BBSO equipped with an adaptive optic system.

Absolutely fantastic! http://www.bbso.njit.edu/scinews/har100_jj_2.gif

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Valery wrote:What can be recorded with the 1,6m telescope BBSO equipped with an adaptive optic system.

Absolutely fantastic! http://www.bbso.njit.edu/scinews/har100_jj_2.gif
Pretty impressive!