Making slow progress

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
rbenton
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Making slow progress

Post by rbenton »

I have tried this about six times now, and after getting some great advice from forum members, I see some improvement. I am still disappointed with the results compared to others on this forum, however. Specifically, using cameras with lower resolution than the one I am using, others seem to be getting much more detail than I am getting. And where the proms of others are feathery and delicate, in my images they look like they're built from Leggo blocks. Anyway, I'll keep trying. Here is my best effort from yesterday as example, plus a shot of the high clouds I was shooting through. BTW, I am using a Lunt LS100 DS, and a 6mp PGR Grasshopper3.

Randall Benton
0614SurfaceColor.jpg
Sun DogA.jpg

cshahar
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Making slow progress

Post by cshahar »

Excellent detail and contrast on your full disk.

-Charles

Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Ewan »

That's an excellent FD, I would be very happy with that outcome.

Derek Klepp
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Derek Klepp »

Great result.It all comes down to practice with ones own set up and a day of above average conditions.To start with Mark Townleys processing tutorials are probably the easiest to follow and give very good results .

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

That's a beautiful full disk! Very well done

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

BTW where is El Dorado?

rbenton
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by rbenton »

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I have watched many of Mark Townley's tutorials and at first applied them all to my images. I now realize that each serves a purpose, but applying them all was just torturing the reality out of my efforts. I am till striving for the delicate details i see in the work of Alan Friedman. (oh, the hubris of Icarus) For longtech, El Dorado is east of Sacramento, CA. It's about halfway between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe where the gold rush of 1849 started.

Randall Benton

longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

A very accomplished astrophotographer, Ken Crawford is in your area...he's captured some incredibly delicate proms...amazingly he did it with a 60mm Coronado SS...here's the link to his solar images (a very small part of his work) as well as links to his tutorials: http://www.imagingdeepsky.com/Solar/Solar_System.html
He's super nice and generous with his time. In fact he really helped me out when I was getting started...very patiently answered a million questions

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I think it is a fabulous image :bow :bow :hamster:

What is the pixel size of your Grasshopper? does it match the focal length you are using? (under sampling / over sampling) if not then you need to optimise it to get the best details.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice shots!

I'm guessing, looking at your full disk, there are possibly a couple of things going on that are affecting visibility of the proms; firstly are you running on lower than neutral gamma values? Secondly looks to me like the black level has been raised in post processing.

Maybe post an unprocessed (just stacked, no wavelets, etc) image? that will give us a better indicator how to advise for you to get more prom detail.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Hi Randall,

Nice FD, keep working on it with different settings and pp. You will find many ways to improve the image.

Alfred