Televue or not.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Televue or not.

Post by denababy »

Hi all, I know I have asked this question before but I’m still cogitating wether to buy a Televue Powermate x2.5 I really don’t want to spend £200 if it will not do what I want, that is, improve my view and achieve focus with it on. My scope is a Lunt 50 and my cameras are DMK 21, Altair Astro and a ZWO 120 mm.would I be able to achieve focus? As I said I have asked this before and wish I could try one before buying. Sorry to waste anyone’s time maybe I’m over thinking it.

Brendan
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Televue or not.

Post by Brendan »

I regularly use a 3x tele-extender and a 5x televue powermate and have no problems achieving focus through my Lunt 50 with my PGR camera, I have not tried visual with these as I use a Lunt zoom for visual. Hope this of some help.

Brendan
Lunt LS50THa with B600 b/f, W/O 72 Megrez, Lunt Herschel wedge, 6" F8 Herschel Newtonian, PGR Grasshopper 3, Opticstar pl131c,
Bruce Girrell

Re: Televue or not.

Post by Bruce Girrell »

In terms of your objectives, the Powermate should do well. Remember that your field of view will be diminished. The f/ratio of your scope is also increased, but that usually won't matter (for some add-on optics, it does matter).

I have a Powermate 2.5x and it is well made, very unlike the 2x Barlow that I have from Celestron. It also is built so that you can use it with your eyepieces or with your cameras (it unscrews in the middle).

I do find that Newton's rings are exacerbated by the use of a Powermate, but I doubt that effect is specific to the Powermate brand. That's a different issue though, and there are other means for dealing with the rings.