Large filament on June 25

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Large filament on June 25

Post by gabrieli »

Taken with a Lunt152 in a clear sky with poor seeing conditions.
I had a curious experience with Autostakkert 3. Usually after going through the Analyze step, all the frames are arranged from best to worst from which you stack the best specified range of frames. I ran through 10 avi files before I realized, A3 was not doing this and that the frames were not ordered. I went back to Autostakkert 2.6.8 until I figure out what the problem was.

Lou
3333w.jpg
3333w.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1771 times
3333winv.jpg
3333winv.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 1771 times

ffellah

Re: Large filament on June 25

Post by ffellah »

That is one beautiful image, Lou !

Franco

eroel

Post by eroel »

Lou:
A very detailed image.
Best wishes,
Eric.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Absolutely terrific images :bow :bow

Interesting about ASK3, did you try stacking the best 10% and comparing it anyway? did it make a difference or was it just showing it differently? I think I might look at mine as I had a clearly good video and the output from even 2% was totally blurred. I can never close ASK3 down, I have to use task manager to switch it off and that annoys me.

Alexandra

marios i.

Post by marios i. »

Wow..

Marios

Marios S.Ioannou
My Gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/195609307@N07/albums

Sketcher/Visual Observer

Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Ewan »

Montana wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:12 am Absolutely terrific images :bow :bow

Interesting about ASK3, did you try stacking the best 10% and comparing it anyway? did it make a difference or was it just showing it differently? I think I might look at mine as I had a clearly good video and the output from even 2% was totally blurred. I can never close ASK3 down, I have to use task manager to switch it off and that annoys me.

Alexandra
Alexandra right click on AS!3 & change the compatibility to 'Run this program as an administrator' that should sort it, I had the same thing.

Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Ewan »

Very nice Gabrieli, looks just like I saw it, well done.

gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, Alexandra

I didn't do the comparison you described, but I noticed that
1. after scrolling through the frames after "Analyze" they seemed to be in a random quality order, sometimes with obviously better frames after bad ones.
2. the stacked image had a definite blur to it and then
3. after using identical settings with AS2, the final stacked product was noticeably sharper than with AS3.

I'll try AS3 again after the next outing.

Lou

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys for the info, when I get a chance I will give all these tips a try.
Alexandra

FlankerOneTwo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by FlankerOneTwo »

I'm curious about the AS!3 issue and have been wondering how it orders the frames for display if "local" quality estimation is used - since the quality is calculated at each alignment point, it would seem that the order of frames would (potentially) be different depending which alignment point was being used. Does it sort by a global estimate? If so, seems like that might be potentially confusing regarding which frames are used for a specific alignment point.

Not sure how to explain the better results with AS2, I haven't used it so am not familiar with it, although I believe that the Laplacian quality estimator was new for AS3. Have you tried turning that off in AS3?

Valery

Post by Valery »

FlankerOneTwo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 am I'm curious about the AS!3 issue and have been wondering how it orders the frames for display if "local" quality estimation is used - since the quality is calculated at each alignment point, it would seem that the order of frames would (potentially) be different depending which alignment point was being used. Does it sort by a global estimate? If so, seems like that might be potentially confusing regarding which frames are used for a specific alignment point.

Not sure how to explain the better results with AS2, I haven't used it so am not familiar with it, although I believe that the Laplacian quality estimator was new for AS3. Have you tried turning that off in AS3?
There is a check on/off for global or local.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
FlankerOneTwo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by FlankerOneTwo »

Valery wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:11 am
FlankerOneTwo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 am I'm curious about the AS!3 issue and have been wondering how it orders the frames for display if "local" quality estimation is used - since the quality is calculated at each alignment point, it would seem that the order of frames would (potentially) be different depending which alignment point was being used. Does it sort by a global estimate? If so, seems like that might be potentially confusing regarding which frames are used for a specific alignment point.

There is a check on/off for global or local.

Valery
Right - I usually use the "local" setting. So if quality is computed at each alignment point, what determines which is the "highest quality" frame in the quality ordered list? Is it a composite score, e.g. sum of all individual AP scores, average AP score, or some other globally computed score? Each alignment point in principle has a different ordering of frames based on quality at that point. I was wondering if perhaps AS!3 does not re-order the frames if "local" is selected as a possible explanation for the OP's observation.