FireCapture Troubles

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Christopher
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

FireCapture Troubles

Post by Christopher »

Finally made it outside for some imaging. It's been literally several months. And what do you know....the camera doesn't work with FireCapture. I end up doing a firmware update on the camera, a FlyCap update and a FireCapture update...heck I even updated my iPhone and iPad just to get right with the software universe :lol: . Now the camera works with FlyCap and it works with FireCapture on the initial set-up run immediately following the FireCapture update install. However, once I shut down FireCapture and try to restart it won't recognize the Grasshopper 3. FlyCap still sees it. I've reinstalled FireCapture several times to no avail. Any thoughts? Versions currently installed are as follows:
Windows 10 64 bit version 1803
FlyCap2 SDK 2.12.3.31
Grasshopper 3 GS3-U3_23S6M Firmware 2.30.3.0 USB Camera Driver 2.7.3.111
FireCapture Version 2.6.08

Funny that FireCapture doesn't appear in the Windows Start Menu or Control Panel Programs and Features list. As such there doesn't appear to be a way to uninstall it??? Wondering if a clean uninstall, reinstall would do the trick. Unfortunately, the imaging will have to wait for another day as the sun is sinking low now. At least I've ruled out hardware issues but FireCapture is my main imaging program for solar. I've submitted a ticket with FireCapture but I thought I'd post the issue here as well in case any other users have recently encountered similar issues. Clear skies all.
Chris

Christopher

"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which 'are' there.". -Feynman
Christopher
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: FireCapture Troubles

Post by Christopher »

Note that the error message that FireCapture throws is "Dependend FireCapture DLLs Missing".

Christopher

"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which 'are' there.". -Feynman
bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

Sorry Christopher, can't really help you. Believe I read somewhere sometime ago a story of someone with the same problem. He tried the camera on a different computer with firecapture and it worked. Back to his laptop, tried again and it worked.
This Yahoo group of fire capture is very quick in helping you out. Good Luck!
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/firecapture/info

Christopher
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Christopher »

Thanks. I’ve joined the group and posted the topic. Beautiful weather here and an interesting sun. Hope to resolve things quickly.

Christopher

Christopher
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Christopher »

Thought I’d post a final chapter on this issue in case someone else has a similar experience. It is unclear what caused the initial problem for which I self-prescribed software and firmware updates across the board. However, the updates themselves caused additional issues. I’m happy to report that this has been resolved and FireCapture is now functional with my Grasshopper 3. Turns out that FlyCap2 v2.12 doesn’t install with the FlyCap2.dll file and this file is required for FlyCapture to recognize the Grasshopper 3. I reverted the FlyCap2 install back to v2.11 and behold, there’s the FlyCap2.dll. I copied it into the FlyCapture main directory, reconnected the Grasshopper 3 and we’re back in action. Too bad about the camera-less unbelievably great solar weekend with ample free time....but that’s the way the cookie crumbles :lol:

Christopher

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Glad to hear all is resolved Christopher.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!