Batteries, laptops and USB ports.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Batteries, laptops and USB ports.

Post by denababy »

Hi, this is getting ridiculous now, I post things but they do not seem to be posted, I complete the header and the text box, I make sure everything is as it should be but when I look a bit later on, there is no post.
Anyway, I have a Pointgrey IMX 174 camera that connects from the camera to my laptop in a USB 3 port, a Quark Chromosphere that connects from the unit to my laptop via a USB 2 port and when I finally get one a Senso Sesto focuser that I believe connects via a USB 2 port. It ties me to being close to my laptop but in the future there will be a greater distance between my laptop and my setup. I have looked at the Primaluce Eagle and a few lithium batteries but it is not clear if there are any USB ports and if so which 2or3. Will my camera, Quark and focuser work from such a battery and is there a battery out there? Will I need a wi-fi type unit? Can anyone advise me please.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Batteries, laptops and USB ports.

Post by Montana »

Are you are pressing the 'submit' button and not just 'return to This is solar chat'? Sometimes I do this by mistake and lose the post.

Why do you need to plug the Quark into a USB2 socket? I used to just plug it in the mains for power but I had no computer control for it.

Alexandra

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Hi Alexandra thanks for the reply. I feel sure I hit the ‘submit’ button, this happens quite often just lately. Anyway;
My Quark needs power and has a usb connector that goes into my battery.
The focuser needs power, which is a usb connector and power, which is a cigarette type connector. So I would need a longer cable from the unit to the laptop, this has a micro to usb cable, what type of longer cable do I need?
The camera needs power, cigarette type and connection to the laptop, I have a repeater cable that is 10 meters long so I am going to give that a try.
My queries are, what type of cable ( at least 5 meterslong) and is there a battery that has both cigarette type connections as well as at least two usb connectors. Hopefully lithium battery that I can attach to my tripod.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

My Celestron powertank has always served me for years. It has 2 USB connectors at the top I think (but I have never used them) and 2 cigarette lighter ones too.

The Quark comes with a plug (3 pin english) just plug that into the mains, I just used an extension lead outside that I plugged the lap top into that as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00008Y0U5/ ... th=1&psc=1

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Are you are pressing the 'submit' button and not just 'return to This is solar chat'? Sometimes I do this by mistake and lose the post.
Yes it sometimes happen that when you hit submit, there is no post. Mostly you see an error, but i usually overlook it ...

My gues, if there is to much time between opening the post, and submit the reply this happens more frequent. Why? No clue.

P.

denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Hi I will try with an extension lead, just got to sort out what type of cable will need for the focuser.