Observatory for solar imaging

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Observatory for solar imaging

Post by torsinadoc »

One of 2019 goals will be to build an observatory. Is anyone using a dome for solar imaging? I suspect there could be issues with local seeing until the building temperature reaches equilibrium with exterior temp. I was thinking of adding an exhaust fan to help pull air out of the building. The other option is a ROR.

pedro
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Observatory for solar imaging

Post by pedro »

I use a dome with good results

http://re.apaaweb.com

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

Thanks for the link

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

I use a ROR. I find that early morning (100% humidity in the morning and night here in Florida), I have to drape mylar material over the wall facing the sun (930am) due to evaporation sending plumes and currents from the condensated water droplets until it's completely dry (once the evaporation is complete this stops though). Also, I covered my roof itself completely with mylar tarp then some poly (to protect the mylar) to reflect light so it doesn't retain heat in the roof material and cost me local seeing when shooting over the roof during the day (mid-day and evening). It made a big difference in my local seeing once I did this. You have to be very careful shooting over walls, buildings, the ground, etc. Lots of things to consider that will effect your local seeing.

That said, observatory is the best thing I ever did for astronomy!

Attached a video to show what I mean about dew evaporating as the sun is rising on my Eastern wall and how it will kill seeing instantly if it's not dry or finished evaporating or covered with a tarp.

Very best,
Attachments
Visible_SeeingKiller.mp4
(4.87 MiB) Downloaded 53 times

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

I have an observatory too (ROR) and this is the BEST investment in this hobby ...
No issues with internal seeing, but like Marty said it's important to cover the roof side.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

MalVeauX wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:21 pm Heya,

I use a ROR. I find that early morning (100% humidity in the morning and night here in Florida), I have to drape mylar material over the wall facing the sun (930am) due to evaporation sending plumes and currents from the condensated water droplets until it's completely dry (once the evaporation is complete this stops though). Also, I covered my roof itself completely with mylar tarp then some poly (to protect the mylar) to reflect light so it doesn't retain heat in the roof material and cost me local seeing when shooting over the roof during the day (mid-day and evening). It made a big difference in my local seeing once I did this. You have to be very careful shooting over walls, buildings, the ground, etc. Lots of things to consider that will effect your local seeing.

That said, observatory is the best thing I ever did for astronomy!

Attached a video to show what I mean about dew evaporating as the sun is rising on my Eastern wall and how it will kill seeing instantly if it's not dry or finished evaporating or covered with a tarp.

Very best,

Interesting video. We have similar humidity in the AM.