Which new scope

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Which new scope

Post by denababy »

Hi everyone I have just gotten over the shock of having to replace my boiler, next month it is being fitted. I am considering buying a new scope but not the one I was considering before the boiler issue. Anyway I think I have whittled it down to three but would really appreciate your comments. I currently have an Explore Scientific ed apo 80 that I use with a Quark Chromosphere, so I want to keep things smallish to be able to continue to use the Quark, the scopes I am looking for advice on are Explore Scientific ed127, Skywatcher ed 120 and 127. Some of the reviews I have read say there is little difference in views between the 120 + 127, is that right. All of the reviews and sales blurb seem to be aimed at night time Astronomy but I will be using it mainly for viewing and picturing the Sun.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Which new scope

Post by marktownley »

Either of those scopes will be great.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

All are great. I'd probably go for the Skywatcher 120 APO. Fantastic scope.

There's no significant difference between 120mm & 127mm outside of a minute lab setting measuring stuff. It will not be different for imaging/visual for solar.

Take a look at the accessories, in particular the focusers. Whichever scope comes with the best focuser might be the way to go. Or if you know you have to replace the focuser anyways, then get the one that is the least expensive.

Very best,

skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by skyhawk »

I have the 120 Skywatcher and wouldn't look back
P1050599.jpg
P1050599.jpg (264.79 KiB) Viewed 1021 times

Just for info, if I ever come over as "blunt" or upset it is not intentional, I am AUTISTIC, I have Aspergers, and ADHD, Autism, so my apologies if I ever sound, unintentionally confrontational. Thank you

Esprit 120mm triplet refractor
Celestron Evolution Edge HD 8"
72mm Ed Skywatcher for Solar

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest
Gitzo Systematic Series 5

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I have a little different take on that. I would say if you were going to be imaging the sun and CaK or H-alpha with the scope, there is no need for a triplet and in my experience a much less expensive doublet performs identically since there is only one wavelength of light to focus.
Of course, if you plan on doing white light observing the triplet would be superior.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org