I often see dangerous sun filters on sale on Ebay with 1960/70s scopes, you know the eyepiece type.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
skyhawk
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

I often see dangerous sun filters on sale on Ebay with 1960/70s scopes, you know the eyepiece type.

Post by skyhawk »

I always write to them asking if they can please destroy the filter before selling the scope and send them this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjshhNbSlCs

Here is a reply I received today, I have never not received a thank you.

Hello Jeremy,

Many thanks for the information. I have ended the listing and will relist once we have excluded any dangerous parts.

We appreciate you taking the time to help us.

Kind regards
Melanie
On Behalf of the Willen Hospice eBay Team

Just for info, if I ever come over as "blunt" or upset it is not intentional, I am AUTISTIC, I have Aspergers, and ADHD, Autism, so my apologies if I ever sound, unintentionally confrontational. Thank you

Esprit 120mm triplet refractor
Celestron Evolution Edge HD 8"
72mm Ed Skywatcher for Solar

SkyTee 2
Sky-Watcher SolarQuest
Gitzo Systematic Series 5

ASI 178MM
Daystar Quark Ha
WO Binoviewers
Many eyepieces 2"
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: I often see dangerous sun filters on sale on Ebay with 1960/70s scopes, you know the eyepiece type.

Post by marktownley »

Good result there Jeremy.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Christopher
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: I often see dangerous sun filters on sale on Ebay with 1960/70s scopes, you know the eyepiece type.

Post by Christopher »

Thanks for taking the time to do this Jeremy. Who knows how many eyes you've potentially saved as a result. Fine work.

Christopher

"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which 'are' there.". -Feynman