Help with future upgrade

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
nicosolcy
Almost There...
Almost There...

Help with future upgrade

Post by nicosolcy »

Hello solar nutz!

Since getting my Lunt LS60 a few months back, and then sticking a camera at the back during CV19 lockdown, I have become enamored with solar imaging. And I am having some dirty thoughts lately about equipment upgrades.

So, I have a Lunt LS60 Tilt Tuned Single Stack, as well as the Lunt 60mm DS module. I will hopefully get to try and image with the DS module this coming weekend, to see what's it about.

I plan to order a CaK module, the B1800 (to future proof) and give CaK imaging a try. Planning on using this with my Borg 76 Achromat (narrowband imaging = no need for APO scope) which has the same focal length as the Lunt LS60, so same image scale and full disks with the ASI178MM.

I use and currently in a love affair with the SkyWatcher Solarquest mount and I want to stay with it. I have other tripods to make the mount more stable, but this mount can lift up to the Lunt 80mm let's say, or any other scope up to say 100mm depending on weight (for CaK and what I am thinking of later below). I don't want to torture myself with alignment and tracking with any other mount, hence the Solarquest is here to stay.

I also have the ASI183MM Pro, which has the same pixel size as the ASI178MM, just a bigger chip.

Questions:

Is a Quark a good way to go about it for imaging features on the sun, Vs the Lunt 80mm? or should I splurge for a Lunt 80mm?

I can easily get for example a SkyWatcher 102mm F5 achro, with tested optics (not discussing the fact that it's an achro - I can get one which has well figured optics) and change the focuser to something better (a GSO focuser with a motorfocus solution) and use that for full disk images with the CaK module, as well as high resolution work with the Quark.

If the plan makes sense, which Quark? Chromosphere or Photosphere?

As you all know there are different ways of processing to determine which feature gets priority or process separately and then blend the images. But surely depending on starting point (emphasis of photosphere or chromosphere) will yield a better result in that direction.

If I am to use a Quark, which camera would be a better fit?

Going by the classic: Sampling = f ratio / pixel size and keeping it between 3.5 and 5.0, then pixel size should ideally be between 4.11 pixels and 5.88 pixels. The 178MM and 183MM have a smaller pixel size, thus not suitable for imaging at 2,000 something mm.

I am for all intents and purposes a solar noob. While I am having fun imaging the sun and getting respectable results, I am by no means an expert. But, I have found in life, that tapping other people's minds for knowledge and listening, pays off dividends in the long run.

Thanks in advance for your kind feedback.

Nick
---------------------------------------------------------------
Photosphere Junkie!
Borg 77 EDII f.6.6 (510mm), APM Herschel Wedge (Baader ND1.8)
Lunt 40mm SS FTF
ZWO ASI183MM, SW SolarQuest Mount
Baader Solar Continuum 540.0nm (FWHM 7.5) / Altair G-Band 430.3nm (FWHM 2nm) / Antlia K-Line 393.3nm (FWHM 3nm)
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Help with future upgrade

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Nick,

You’re opening up a can of worms, as we say, with these questions.

1) Quarks receive mixed reviews from really bad to quite good; mostly mediocre at best. You have to be really fortunate to get a good one suitable for excellent solar imaging. It can happen and there are users of Quarks here that are satisfied with the performance of these ‘budget’ imaging devices.

2) Going from a Lunt 60 to a Lunt 80 won’t really give you the step up in imaging performance that you might be aiming for. Better, maybe, with a Lunt 100, or buy a Solar Spectrum filter and suitable ERFs for a range of scopes, plus telecentrics and so on.... as I said, a real can of worms as there are so many options and there will be so many opinions as to which way to go. The only thing I’d reiterate is that 60mm to 80mm is not likely to be very satisfying for you.

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of opinions coming up on this topic...... :)

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
nicosolcy
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Help with future upgrade

Post by nicosolcy »

Stu,

Thanks for the candid feedback. I did have in mind that the LS80mm would probably not give much more, but feedback from others always helps. I guess there are no resellers that test Quarks and then sell the decent ones further on. I have no wish to be saddled with a poor sample so that option is out.

However, you did open a fresh can of worms. IF I am willing to go down the heat adjustable etalon option (vs the quick and easy Lunt tuning), the cost is more or less the same as the Lunt 80mm, but I get a step up in resolution by shifting to 100mm and THAT would make a difference! I see these need to be used at f25 at a minimum, so a Baader Telecentric is a good accessory to have.

Chatting with others always helps. Between the LS80 and a Solar Spectrum filter option, I'd go for the second any time of the week, and also keep my LS60.

I will admit though to being drawn by the "cheapish" price of the Quark. I need to check if I can have someone test it for me before delivery. It is a possible option.

Nicos

Nick
---------------------------------------------------------------
Photosphere Junkie!
Borg 77 EDII f.6.6 (510mm), APM Herschel Wedge (Baader ND1.8)
Lunt 40mm SS FTF
ZWO ASI183MM, SW SolarQuest Mount
Baader Solar Continuum 540.0nm (FWHM 7.5) / Altair G-Band 430.3nm (FWHM 2nm) / Antlia K-Line 393.3nm (FWHM 3nm)