Solar scope.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Solar scope.

Post by denababy »

Hi, thanks to your help I have finally downloaded both FireCapture and ImPPG so now I am thinking of buying a new Solar Scope. Due to my knees giving way without warning I find I cannot carry anything far so the scope I am looking at is a Daystar scout ds60, does anyone use one and if so do you have any observations, or can anyone else recommend another scope for about the same money and size?

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Solar scope.

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Not knowing where you are,
https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/day ... scope.html

does show the details of this and the U.K. price reduction does seem reasonable for this particular item. One can easily (bank a/c permitting)
pay thousands of whichever currency, so as this is a much lower-price, it may well serve its' purpose if looked after.
Perhaps is somebody has experience of this item, they can better judge the performance.

I do note they say "16mm eyepiece aperture" and that may well be sufficient for an included eye-piece.

You will also need a suitable steady tripod for the included fitting as in the description

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

There's also the Lunt50, and buying from Rupert you have confidence it will have been checked.

http://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrog ... S50THaB6PT

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
denababy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by denababy »

Thanks Mark I have a Lunt 50 but although I can image through it I read that it is more for viewing than imaging, that is why I considered getting the Solar Scout, it is slightly bigger aperture as well. I have a Quark that I put on my Explore Scientific ed80apo but as I want to downsize my kit the Scout seems to fit the bill !!!

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

I am fairly sure (even though I have the Lunt 60mm) that the 50mm is for both viewing and imaging-capable.
I personally only use Lunt-gear such as the LS60 + its' Double Stack, Lunt 60 Calcium-K and a Lunt Hershel Wedge for WL.

I can see the image through all those, where of course the Cal-K is for imaging only - as its' detail is a very-faint hue-of-blue.

So as Mark says, I would consider the Lunt 50mm - which is only a tad smaller than the 60 version...

Depending on which Blocking Filter also bought at the same time as the scope, it seems that (possibly due to lack of sales because of the virus),
that certainly in the case of one known supplier, there is a considerable reduction in the current sale-price at present and without checking further, only a little more than the Daystar Scout DS60. Also of course a Double Stack for the Lunt 50 is another expense - also apparently price-reduced...