Transit of Mercury 2016 and green flash

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Transit of Mercury 2016 and green flash

Post by Filipp Romanov »

Hello all!

I publish my photos of transit of Mercury on May 9, 2016, from Moscow. I took photos with my camera Canon EOS 60D (some with 2x Barlow lens) and my telescope Sky-Watcher BK P2001 EQ5 (with filter from Baader AstroSolar visual film).

On May 6, 2016, my laptop broke down (it was repaired only at the end of May), and I was deprived access to information about the exact time. Fortunately, I wrote down the transit start time on a sheet of paper in advance (and prepared the telescope by that time on that date).

Until the beginning of the first contact, the Sun covered a large cloud, but literally a minute before this moment it opened the Sun. In the 1st photo - before the beginning of the transit, when the Sun was covered by clouds.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (275.92 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Transit of Mercury 2016 and green flash

Post by Filipp Romanov »

I noticed that the time between the first and second contacts was very short - much faster than Venus during the 2012 transit. I watched it visually (through the eyepiece) and made several videos and photos.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (164.93 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (491.77 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (308.58 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

Up to 15 hours local time, clouds often covered the sun's disk, but after this time, the weather was clear and sunny, with a rare high temperature for May, so I had to periodically shelter from the heat in the shade of trees, so I watched and photographed with breaks of 15 minutes.
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (104 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (284.54 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (114.63 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (85.14 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

The altitude of the Sun became lower, the solar disk was distorted by the influence of the earth's atmosphere.
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (308.26 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (206.92 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (297.61 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
14.jpg
14.jpg (374.56 KiB) Viewed 1236 times

Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

Before sunset, I captured a video of the green flash - during the transit of Mercury! I am attaching this video:

I am also attaching the photo (the result of video processing in RegiStax 5.1).
Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (490.06 KiB) Viewed 1235 times

Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

I am also attaching my video about this astronomical phenomenon:

With best regards,

Filipp.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hello Filipp.

Thanks for sharing your excellent images of the 2016 event.

They are sharp and interesting to see at this time of a quiet Sun.
The presentation is just brilliant...

Best Wishes
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Wow! these are fabulous :hamster: did you get anyone passing by come over and have look? it looks very quiet where you live.

I love the image at sunset :bow

Alexandra

Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

Montana wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:11 pm it looks very quiet where you live.
Terry, Alexandra, thanks for your kind words.

There were few people that day, because it was Victory Day, and many people went to the center of Moscow for festive events (or temporarily left Moscow). Only a few passing people are interested in this (their voices can be heard on the video).

Unfortunately, to my great trouble, I did not live in that high-rise building in Moscow for long - from the beginning of 2016 to January 2017. I (with my mother and our old cat) were forced to leave the communal apartment in which I lived (due to the threat to health and life from actions of the new residents of the other room) since January 23, 2017, and we have to wander as homeless people.

All our things (belongings) and my telescopes were (stayed) in my room, where we do not have safe and unhindered access, and therefore, since 2017, I have not photographed anything through my telescopes.

The officials and the police did not help us, and we were forced to wander around different regions of Russia (and even spend the night at the railway station), and now we are temporarily staying in the housing of our relatives in the Far East of Russia, where we continue to wait for help us from officials from Moscow in our trouble.

I have published here almost all of my old photographs of solar astronomical phenomena, but I cannot make new ones while I am in this most difficult life situation, in which our little family needs the help of officials, to whom my mother and I wrote and sent many of our statements during these 3.5 years of our wanderings, but so far the officials have not helped us.

P.S. Thank you for posting my photo work on SPoD, because I am happy to popularize astronomy among people for free (I am studying the science of astronomy by self-education for 11 years, and I have been wandering for more than 3 years without my telescopes).

Best regards,

Filipp.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Filipp,
I don't know what to say...I know it must be rough living a nomadic lifestyle. Do the police know of the threat that forced you to leave? I really feel for you. Keep your head up and keep your interests and dreams alive. I hope no one has broken in and stolen/damaged your scopes. I will remember you, your mom and your old cat in my prayers.

James

P.S. Those Mercury transit images were awesome. Nice sharp disc and nice image scale!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

Thank you James for your kind words to me (both about my photos and about my trouble in life). I was born on the date of Orthodox Easter (on April 27, 1997) and every day I pray about this our trouble!

The police did not help us, although we have a lot of videos: threats to our lives, theft of property, attack on my mother. Then - at that time - a policeman also moved for live into this communal apartment to those many people! More information is available on Indiegogo https://igg.me/at/amateur-astronomer (in the text of my completed unsuccessful campaign).
Attachments
I went to church on the date of Orthodox Christmas.JPG
I went to church on the date of Orthodox Christmas.JPG (271.21 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
Last edited by Filipp Romanov on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

So sorry and sad to hear about you and your family suffering these problems Filipp.

I do so hope that you can get back to a normal life - very soon

Best Wishes for your future
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

May the Lord be with you. I am Anglican so I can relate to both Catholic and Orthodox beliefs. I love the 4 image mercury closeup image. The disc is sizable. That's amazing since it usually runs between 10 and 12 arc-sec.

It sounds like your police department is corrupt.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:03 pm I do so hope that you can get back to a normal life - very soon
Thank you for your good wish to me! I hope for a change for the better in the life of our little family, because my mother also prays for this every day.
DeepSolar64 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:51 pm May the Lord be with you. I am Anglican so I can relate to both Catholic and Orthodox beliefs. I love the 4 image mercury closeup image. The disc is sizable. That's amazing since it usually runs between 10 and 12 arc-sec.

It sounds like your police department is corrupt.
I thank you for your kind wish to me! For these images of the disk of Mercury I used 640x480 video mode and a 2x Barlow lens. This was my first and only observation in my life of the transit of Mercury, and in 2019 the transit of Mercury was visible in Moscow too, but I am not in Moscow, where my housing and my telescopes are, and this is a sad fact for me, because I really love astronomy!

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Filipp,
I did see the 2019 transit of Mercury but missed the 2016 one. So thanks for the view. With you not having access to your scopes I would highly recommend Helioviewer.org. Before I got my hydrogen-alpha scopes I used helioviewer a lot in addition to my white light observations being done at the time with my old Traq 60mm refractor. Helioviewer has tools to zoom, layer, see different wavelengths, make and download videos from the recent available data and of course download pictures. It makes you feel like you have control of the space-based observatories from which the data is obtained. It's a wonderful way of observing without a scope! The data is obtained from several space-based solar observatories like SOHO and the SDO. Another thing I may suggest is getting you a pair of very portable white light solar binoculars. I have a pair of Lunt SUNoculars. They are 8x32s. Several manufacturers offer WL solar binoculars ranging from 6x to as high as 12x. They are great if you have decent spot activity on the sun but are limited in use now because being so close to solar minimum there isn't many spots to see and most are small and the lower power view makes them hard to see. But as activity increases they will be of great use.

And yes I would consider the helioviewer views a valid observational post in absence of a telescopic view. :) For me, the point here is to learn about and enjoy our parent star, the sun.

https://helioviewer.org/

https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar ... 32-yellow/

https://www.celestron.com/products/ecli ... binoculars

Keep looking up!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Filipp I really enjoyed these pictures. Stay strong .
Regards Derek

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Keep going Filipp, you have a wonderful talent and all your life ahead of you, follow your dream! keep fighting for what is right and the truth. Are there any charities available who could help you with your problems?

Alexandra

Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

Montana wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:12 pm Keep going Filipp, you have a wonderful talent and all your life ahead of you, follow your dream! keep fighting for what is right and the truth. Are there any charities available who could help you with your problems?

Alexandra
Thank you Alexandra for supporting me morally with your good words to me! I wrote to many charitable foundations and organizations in Russia, but no one helped me in any way, and I do not know information about charitable organizations in other countries.
Derek Klepp wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:26 am Filipp I really enjoyed these pictures. Stay strong .
Regards Derek
Thank you for your kind words to me, Derek! I have many chronic diseases, but I must continue: to live and be strong, because: I love astronomy very much and my beloved mother has anemia, and I must: take care of her (and our old - 15-year old - cat) and so that we have place for life, because my mother raised me alone and she took care of me when I was sick and was disabled in orthopedics, and my grandfather and grandmother are old people.
DeepSolar64 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:59 am Another thing I may suggest is getting you a pair of very portable white light solar binoculars.
Thank you James for your advice to me! I will take a look at this site Helioviewer.org, which you talked about in an interesting way. I had rare binoculars - with good optics, but it also stayed in the communal apartment in Moscow, where my telescopes remained, and my mother's and my personal belongings (things) remained/stayed. My mother closed the door of our room with a key in lock when my mother and I were escaping/left from there, but there is information from a telephone conversation of one person who saw from the street that in the window of our room the electric lights are turned on and off, so my mother and I do not know if there are whether our things and my telescopes are intact in our room in that communal apartment, and the video cameras there were stolen by a woman from another room in an aggressive behavior.

But I will continue to have hope for changes for the better in the trouble of our little family, because all the people here give me kind moral support, and I am glad to know you!

Best regards, Filipp.
Attachments
I was on the balcony of my room in Moscow - with my binoculars, when I came to this room to live to enter the university to study astronomy.JPG
I was on the balcony of my room in Moscow - with my binoculars, when I came to this room to live to enter the university to study astronomy.JPG (377.88 KiB) Viewed 1112 times

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Filipp,
Helioviewer can be used to “ share “ the Sun in absence of a scope. You can be creative with the layering and share the images here!

And remember, these are solar binoculars with built in filters. Over the objective filters are available separately for standard binos too.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Stay safe Fillip. Lovely pictures.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Filipp Romanov
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Filipp Romanov »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:57 pm Filipp,
Helioviewer can be used to “ share “ the Sun in absence of a scope. You can be creative with the layering and share the images here!

And remember, these are solar binoculars with built in filters. Over the objective filters are available separately for standard binos too.

James
Thank you for your advice, James! But I spend a lot of time in writing my statements to officials about the misfortune of my small family, and therefore I have little time and opportunities (for example, access to the Internet) to study astronomy even through a computer, and not only there is no opportunity to observe astronomical objects through my telescopes. Your good advice will remain and will wait for better times in my difficult life!
marktownley wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:59 pm Stay safe Fillip. Lovely pictures.
Thank you for your good wish to me, but there is no certainty (there are photo and video facts) that my mother and I remain safe in different regions (now we are in our small homeland https://vk.com/album213781868_260731878 - in Primorsky Krai) in territory of our country, where the police did not help us in our trouble, and I wrote in my petition on change.org that in our long wanderings and other officials did not help me and my mother.

With best regards,

Filipp.