02/09/2020 Visual Report

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
AndiesHandyHandies
Way More Fun to Share It!!

02/09/2020 Visual Report

Post by AndiesHandyHandies »

Hi

9.50 BST Still. Thin patchy cloud. M180 F10 PST Stage2 Mod Binoviewers 12x = 18mm eyepiece.

08.30 O'Clock Diffuse feed leaning down. Hollow blob over. Two spikes above leaning down.
Thin jet above.
Inverted open comma.
Jet leaning up at 45deg.

Above a 'bug' hedge prom with tail down at the bottom.

03.00 Round tree prom.

Despite the thin clouds no real reflections. The bino-viewers seem to supress them quiet well. Done all the baffling and blacking I can. Even filed out cut-backs on the retaining rings to stop refections off the edge. Use Blue Lightning 48mm and T2 to 28.5 filter thread where possible as stops. With empty cheap Chinese filter holders in which happen to be 20mm aperture so ideal for a PST mod.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Astronomy-Te ... 2749.l2649

I also find them useful on 1.25" eyepiece and barlow nose-pieces to mask the lens edges where the full field is not needed.

Final configuration for use when the seeing is good enough to get a larger image scale than the 90mm and 3x Barlowwith 32mm Meade SP where they are both used at 1800mm FL.

Cheers. Andrew.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: 02/09/2020 Visual Report

Post by Montana »

Well done for getting in a session today, we had a lot of mottled cloud this morning, thanks for the report :hamster:

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I'm impressed you saw the sun. Maybe the binoviewer helps because it is polarised and cuts reflections that way?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
AndiesHandyHandies

Post by AndiesHandyHandies »

Hi Mark,

The bino-viewer is a square bodied one with sliding eye seperation so all it optics are orthogonal to the beam so any polarisation effect has a good chance. Just a round the sun seems dark even though there is light further out.
The Sun is just bigger than the 18mm front aperture so stray light should be rejected.

I bought the 25mm Fujiyama Ortho eyepiece as I found an article saying you should match the field of the telescope with the field of the eyepiece to stop out of image reflections. It has a 18mm field stop.

RodAstro say the rotating eye seperation Zeiss bino-viewers have problems, because the prisms are at an angle, with reflections.

Cheers. Andrew.