September 7 2020 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

September 7 2020 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time is 9:51am to 11:10pm EDT Local time ( US ). Temp at beginning of session is 61F and at the end 63F. Skies are clear. Seeing is a bit above average.

Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS. 32x, 44.5x, 66.5x, and 100x.
I match GONG Cerro Tololo's views today visually. I see at least eight filaments on the solar disc. Three are in the NW quadrant and are really easy to see. Two show some detail and the longer one that is over a plage disturbance shows ends that are darker than the middle. Two more faint sooty fluffballs are on the NE part of the disc. Two more fluffballs are again paired together on the SW part of the disc. The eighth filament is a tiny one involved with a tiny plage near the SE limb. I see another somewhat larger plage to the west of this one and a difficult tiny one to it's northwest. The wrinklelike plage at and approaching the NW limb is easily seen.

I see two easy prominences. One in the northwest shows a separated piece that runs parallel to the disc. That parallel piece shows a decent amount of detail with 66.5x giving the best view. An upright slightly curved piece lies just to it's south. The southwest limb shows an easy double prom. Both of these prom groups are studied easily in double-stack and are really detailed in single-stack. I also see a small number of tiny proms around the limb in different places. The spicule layer is easy and at 66.5x and 100x I can see some individual spicules. The spicule mottles show nice contrast and cover the disc.

Celestron NexStar 102GT w/Altair wedge. 50x and 100x ( WL )
A large rippled faculae shows on the NW limb corresponding to a plage disturbance located there as seen in Ha. Easy granulation is noticed as well. No other details on disc seen.

Carpe Noctem!

James

GONGCerroTololoHa_9-7-20.jpg
GONGCerroTololoHa_9-7-20.jpg (647.68 KiB) Viewed 176 times

P.S. In addition to this, last night I captured my first primitive deep-sky astrophoto using my Sky-Watcher 12" dobsonian and my iPhone. It's the bright core of M31, the Andromeda Galaxy. Think, that tiny dot in the middle contains a supermassive black hole!

M31iPhone12SW.JPG
M31iPhone12SW.JPG (74.89 KiB) Viewed 169 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: September 7 2020 Observations

Post by Montana »

I like the description of the filaments as fluffballs :lol: I'll remember that one, I like it :) you always make me smile :hamster:

I love the iPhone pic too, that's amazing!

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Re: September 7 2020 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Montana wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:36 am I like the description of the filaments as fluffballs :lol: I'll remember that one, I like it :) you always make me smile :hamster:

I love the iPhone pic too, that's amazing!

Alexandra

They look like dustbunnies too. Grey and fluffy! Think " My neighbor Totoro " the tiny round soot/dustbunny spirits that inhabits dark musty old houses. Susuwatari they called them. Traveling soot. Sorta fits. Filaments do move and change as they cross the sun's face though round ones are not the norm. Check out Hayao Miyazaki's films " My Neighbor Totoro" and " Spirited Away ".

I just wish I could have gotten more of the galaxy's disc and not just the bright central region. Still, it's a first for me. :)

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea