Calcium Grains in a Tropical Winter

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
yltansg
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Calcium Grains in a Tropical Winter

Post by yltansg »

15Jan21.

The tropical winter brought in thick clouds and rain every day. We saw the Sun for the first time in more than 2 weeks. I did some equipment maintenance and took some CAK images with the C11 fitted with ARIES D-ERF (at full aperture) + Chroma CAK filters fitted in a Skybender. Camera was an ASI174MM.

I was satisfied to have a decent CAK images with thin clouds throughout the session:

Here is a cropped version:

Please do a right-click and click on the "+" magnifier to see the images in full resolution.

Hoping to have better weather when the new active region comes into view next week.

Take care.

Alfred

eroel

Re: Calcium Grains in a Tropical Winter

Post by eroel »

Alfred, very nice CaK images.
My sky looks like yours.
Best regards,
Eric.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Very nice. You can see those calcium " supergrains " quite well.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Very nice, Alfred. Beautiful ‘fluffy’ texture in these hi-res images, even in poor conditions.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good views Alfred. Are these at prime focus with the scope?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

marktownley wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:58 am Good views Alfred. Are these at prime focus with the scope?
Hi Mark,

Thanks for asking. Previously I used to have a Televue X2.5 PM before the Skybender with the Chroma filters and I used a 10" mask on the D-ERF. For this session, I replaced the PM with a Calcium corrector from Apollo and the imaging was done with the D-ERF at full aperture. I must check out the image scale.

Alfred

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

yltansg wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:10 am
marktownley wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:58 am Good views Alfred. Are these at prime focus with the scope?
Thanks for asking. Previously I used to have a Televue X2.5 PM before the Skybender with the Chroma filters and I used a 10" mask on the D-ERF. For this session, I replaced the PM with a Calcium corrector from Apollo and the imaging was done with the D-ERF at full aperture. I must check out the image scale.
Thank Alfred. If you have a camera with ~4.4um pixels then you will get ideal sampling with the setup when the seeing allows.

Mark

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Nice images Alfred and thanks vm

Terry

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Very sharp Calcium images Alfred...well done :bow

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Thanks Eric, James, Stuart, Mark, Terry and Brian for your kind words.

I must say that I was quite surprised to get this next image under a thin cloud cover:

Full image (1930 x 1200):

Cropped 1:

Cropped 2:

Please do a right click followed by clicking "+" to see the grains in its full resolution.

Alfred
Last edited by yltansg on Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Brilliant! almost reminds me of a foam.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Oh Alfred! I would die of happiness if I could achieve images like this :hamster: :bow

The Hubby has a made a lovely little jacket out of black-out material for my C11 over the past 2 weekends, it is great. I have also made a Tribahtinov mask to try and accurately collimate it when the weather gets a bit warmer. Then I have my fingers crossed to compete with you :hamster:

Alexandra

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

marktownley wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:10 pm Brilliant! almost reminds me of a foam.
Hi Mark,

Some of my friends are asking why I am spending time taking pictures of something as boring as these :)

Alfred

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Montana wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:49 pm Oh Alfred! I would die of happiness if I could achieve images like this :hamster: :bow

The Hubby has a made a lovely little jacket out of black-out material for my C11 over the past 2 weekends, it is great. I have also made a Tribahtinov mask to try and accurately collimate it when the weather gets a bit warmer. Then I have my fingers crossed to compete with you :hamster:

Alexandra
Hi Alexandra,

My C11 is out of collimation. Strange enough, it is still "ok" for solar imaging. So I am not tinkering with it. I look forward to see the lovely jacket on your SCT and do share its effectiveness with us. Tube current is one of the major concerns and most of my better images are taken before 9:30am.

So far I am driven by sharing new knowledge with my students and also the joy of learning new things. Competition is something totally new to me, haha. Sounds interesting.

At the same, lets continue our trial and experimentation and share learning points with this wonderful community to spur each other on.....

Alfred

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

yltansg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:54 am Tube current is one of the major concerns and most of my better images are taken before 9:30am.
I use a cooling fan on the HaT https://www.deepspaceproducts.com/produ ... stron-scts

ImageP1000647 by Mark Townley, on Flickr

LTHB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by LTHB »

Hi Alfred,

good to see that you are consistently getting very good results, even under a thin cloud cover!

My experience so far has been that CaK videos taken under thin clouds or even just a little haze do not result in usable images, i.e. after stacking with AS all structure is lost. With my setup slight haze or clouds seems to affect contrast in CaK much more than in h-alpha, so I am following your experiments with keen interest!

As for tube currents I am also using the cooling fans Mark recommended. They are working quite well, however they did not solve the problem entirely for my setup. I suspect that air currents in or in front of the filter stack may play a role here, as I have found that the CaK filters are heating up to well above 40°C within a minute or so (even behind an ERF and a CCD blue filter). I have added a cooling fan for the filters to my setup and will see if this helps (if the weather over here allows, which probably means in March or April).

Kind regards,

Frank

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Interesting to know this Frank. Thanks.

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

marktownley wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:11 am
yltansg wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:54 am Tube current is one of the major concerns and most of my better images are taken before 9:30am.
I use a cooling fan on the HaT https://www.deepspaceproducts.com/produ ... stron-scts
Thanks Mark. Unfortunately they don't have a solution for the C11 that I own. So I will have to improve the heat shield on the C11. Will check with Alexandra when she gets a chance to use it.

Alfred

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Alfred, for solar work I think you have to be absolutely exact in collimation, this is what Christian V told me. Here are some links to my project for you to read:

I have used the new improved design as a mask.

https://github.com/cytan299/tribahtinov ... Telescopes

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5364 ... -focusing/

https://github.com/cytan299/tribahtinov

Original generator
https://satakagi.github.io/tribahtinovW ... tinov.html

newer generator (improved)
https://satakagi.github.io/tribahtinovW ... etric.html

To print I had to create a PDF in this program first
https://inkscape.org/

Here is a fashion show of the Hubby's fine work using blackout material. I use it to cover me while imaging and it is absolutely cold underneath, amazing stuff!

ImageGetting ready for Spring by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

Alexandra

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

LTHB wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:10 pm Hi Alfred,

My experience so far has been that CaK videos taken under thin clouds or even just a little haze do not result in usable images, i.e. after stacking with AS all structure is lost. With my setup slight haze or clouds seems to affect contrast in CaK much more than in h-alpha, so I am following your experiments with keen interest!

As for tube currents I am also using the cooling fans Mark recommended. They are working quite well, however they did not solve the problem entirely for my setup. I suspect that air currents in or in front of the filter stack may play a role here, as I have found that the CaK filters are heating up to well above 40°C within a minute or so (even behind an ERF and a CCD blue filter). I have added a cooling fan for the filters to my setup and will see if this helps (if the weather over here allows, which probably means in March or April).

Kind regards,

Frank
Hi Frank,

I used to have the same problem (i.e. unusable video taken in thin cloud condition) when I was using the PST filter with the Lunt CAK wedge. That is no longer a problem with the Chroma calcium filters. This is important for me because we have tons of clouds from Sep to Feb each year.

Regarding the effect of thin clouds on HA and CAK imaging, for this imaging session on 15 Jan 21, the HA video did not turn out as well as the CAK ones. Taken on the same morning, about 10 minutes after the CAK session, without any significant deterioration in cloud condition, the HA video generally looked like this:

It was taken with a very good Quark Chromosphere which has been producing excellent HA images. I need to do more HA/CAK to have a better understanding on the effect of thin clouds on the imaging.

Thanks for the info on the cooling fans. Unfortunately, my C11 is a CF (XLT) version and DSP does not carry cooling fans for it. I think the CF tube helps to some extent. Currently I have a thin aluminium foil and I can certainly improve upon it.

I use an ARIES D-ERF, which I think is extremely good at blocking out heat. Previously I made some temperature measurement for a member of this forum and the data looked good. Unfortunately I had them filed some where. So I think, I am spared the heat problem at the CAK filter.

Best regards,

Alfred

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Montana wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:25 pm Alfred, for solar work I think you have to be absolutely exact in collimation, this is what Christian V told me. Here are some links to my project for you to read:

I have used the new improved design as a mask.

Here is a fashion show of the Hubby's fine work using blackout material. I use it to cover me while imaging and it is absolutely cold underneath, amazing stuff!

Alexandra
Thanks a million for the info, Alexandra. That is a very nice looking jacket. I must made that mask and jacket!! Is there an online shop that sell the blackout material?

Alfred

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Alfred, Alexandra. How do you find the focus on your C11s?

I'm going to try collimating, focusing, putting a proper focuser on the back, refocusing and then imaging. I hate the native SCT focus I have to say.

Mark

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I don't actually mind it Mark, I find it quite sensitive (the seeing is another matter)

Alfred, the blackout material was bought from a material shop and I bought 2m of it. I bought it from John Lewis department store but I guess that doesn't help you :(

Alexandra

LTHB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by LTHB »

Hi Alfred,

I'm also using an ARIES D-ERF plus a blue CCD filter, otherwise the following filters would probably heat up a lot more, still these filters are getting about 15°C or so warmer than the surrounding air within a minute or two after pointing the scope to the sun, and I suspect that this might be enough of a temperature difference to cause some turbulences that might affect my high res videos. Anyway, that is my working hypothesis for my next CaK experiments.

Your Chroma CaK filter really seems a big step forward! It's a pity that these ultra-narrowband filters are not widely available!

Frank

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

marktownley wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:47 pm Alfred, Alexandra. How do you find the focus on your C11s?

I'm going to try collimating, focusing, putting a proper focuser on the back, refocusing and then imaging. I hate the native SCT focus I have to say.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I have starlight micro focuser on my C11. I do my focusing manually and has been able to good focus on it. By now, I have the hang of it and, if the seeing is not too bad. Focusing can be done within 10-15 seconds. I usually do my focusing at 100% view and then pump it to 200% to confirm it. I have uploaded 10 frame video (SER files) on Google Drive for your reference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-PBDq_ ... sp=sharing

You can see why focusing on my C11 is not too difficult. I am also of the view that the native focuser cannot make it. Having a good focuser is important.

Cheers.

Alfred

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

marktownley wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:11 am

ImageP1000647 by Mark Townley, on Flickr
And you have a Coronado finder on it!!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

marktownley wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:59 am
yltansg wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:10 am

Thank Alfred. If you have a camera with ~4.4um pixels then you will get ideal sampling with the setup when the seeing allows.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I do have a Basler_acA640-750um (4.8 um pixel), unfortunately it has a 640 px x 480 px. I will start with it and hope to see the difference compared with the 5.86um of the Basler acA1920-40um.

Thanks.

Alfred

marios i.

Post by marios i. »

Very nice images!

Marios S.Ioannou
My Gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/195609307@N07/albums

Sketcher/Visual Observer

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I don't think you will go wrong with that Basler 640 camera Alfred, sage advice from justapictureposter.

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

justapictureposter wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:01 am Alfred: my best capture ever was made with that same camera. The 700 frames per second makes up for the small image size. When you record using this fast frame rate, record a 10,000 frame sample. Set the gamma level in firecapture to 64, so that the solar surface appears dark.

It will seem very dark on screen in real time, but the captured data is still there.

You can 2x drizzle the video file during stacking, and this will double the file dimensions.

The most important thing right now is proper placement of the corrector, and your firecapture settings. I set my gamma level to 60 on these to make the surface dark in real time; unless you are trying to capture spicules or prominences on the limb you should be doing the same.

The wide view is from the basler 1920-155um , the narrow view is from the 720.
Thank you for the tips on the placement of the corrector and the firecapture settings, Justapictureposter!!

You picture is fantastic!! I have delayed using the camera because of the different experiments and weather. This camera is going onto the jig and hopefully the weather will cooperate to get some images on AR2797.

Alfred

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

marktownley wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:12 am I don't think you will go wrong with that Basler 640 camera Alfred, sage advice from justapictureposter.
Hi Mark,

I am assured :D Today was a total washout. I hope to post pictures on the new sunspot soon.

Alfred

DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by DavidP »

Justapicture. Those a beautiful dramatic images. Can you say anything more about your use of gamma?

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Very nice animations!!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great anis! Both gamma settings have their own merit!

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Superb mages and animation in the latest addition of CaK :bow

I appreciate the processing and capture info as well!

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM