9-1-2021 THE SOUTHERN AR - EXPLANATION

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

9-1-2021 THE SOUTHERN AR - EXPLANATION

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

A PROTO-SUNSPOT FROM SOLAR CYCLE 25: A proto-sunspot is growing on the Sun's S.E. quadrant.
Its' magnetic polarity marks it as a member of new Solar Cycle 25.
The growing spot is not yet large enough to receive an official number, and might dissipate before lifting the Sunspot number.

If the region continues to grow, it will likely be assigned an official number (AR2802) later today.

So this explanation of what is going-on with the newish AR explains why there are occasions that spots are visible, then not visible, then visible again.

I've learnt something as to what a "PROTO SUNSPOT" is...
+++
Some interesting proms are in progress today.

No forecast for any further AR's approaching the Eastern-Limb.

Much more snow overnight here, but hey - it doesn't happen often...

CLEAR SKIES
Terry
Attachments
9-1-2021 1055z euvi_195_heliographic.jpg
9-1-2021 1055z euvi_195_heliographic.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 251 times
9-1-2021 1119z latest_512_0304.jpg
9-1-2021 1119z latest_512_0304.jpg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 251 times
9-1-2021 latest_512_HMII.jpg
9-1-2021 latest_512_HMII.jpg (28.38 KiB) Viewed 251 times
IMG_1792 snow scene yesterday.jpg
IMG_1792 snow scene yesterday.jpg (3.32 MiB) Viewed 251 times

Stardust5858

Re: 9-1-2021 THE SOUTHERN AR - EXPLANATION

Post by Stardust5858 »

Thanks Terry for the update and explanation. Please stop posting snow pictures, it's not fair. You're just rubbing my nose in it now 😭

10ft x 6ft Solar RoR with Warm Room
Lunt 60mm Double Stack HA
80ed WL+ Lunt Hershal Wedge + Badder K-Line filter.
100mm AR + Lunt b1800 Ca-K module.
Neq6 Eq Mount.

2.7m Pulsar Dome.
11in Celestron SCT + White Light Filter.
70mm AR Stellavue.
12inch OO Newtonian.
Eq8 r Pro Mount.
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Nigella. I won't add any more snow pics on this post - just for you... Ha Ha
What others might do is another matter.

Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Don't be sucked in by spaceweather and their sensationalist news Terry. They're often wrong.

Looks like the spot has gone completely now looking at the AIA data. Just bright plage.

Maybe it will pep up again? It's got the look of more of solar burp to me.

Whats the motor in the picture?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

I do agree Mark, that Spaceweather is often behind the actual time and I never heard of a Proto Sunspot before, so taken with a pinch of salt - even after checking that definition on the internet separately.

It still is interesting that one moment there appears to be a spot(s) on and off and this evening SDO is now showing a possible spot again.

I do personally think that there was likely a spot or more before this AR reached-over the limb edge...

The motor is a 1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus with a very low-mileage for its' age and is in very good condition inside and out...
Without all the unnecessary electronics that modern cars have, so far easier to maintain and less likely to go wrong too...!!!

In red, but looks like white at the moment ....

Cheers
Terry
Attachments
th (1).jpg
th (1).jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 225 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Terry, I was trying to work out what car it was. The engine in my boat is from a 1956 London Black Cab, short of catastrophic mechanical failure there's not much I can't fix, it might not win the land speed (canal speed?) record but it keeps on going which is what you want.

Maybe there's life in this bit of sun activity yet; after looking before and all spottage gone. there appears to be a very small pair of bipolar pores, maybe it will come alive yet?

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Excellent on your former cab engine and yes keeping to basics for engine and sundries - usually is the best and for your application in the canal-boat is ideal. Also as long as the cooling-system for yours (and indeed any engine) is working properly, then yours will not be loaded with the same torques that road use is likely to need (including any clutch repairs too)...

Yes of course, it is early days yet for us to continue to visually observe this rather interesting AR. I only wish that STEREO-B would have been able to show us what it had been doing previously on the other-side.

I am keeping a monthly record of the posting Images, which I can refer to, so from that, these pores/spots are simply coming and going (for the moment.

Cheers
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Terry, looks like we still have a very small pair of pores in white light this morning.

With regards cooling system totally agree, this has been 'modded' over the past couple of years. 4 or 5 years ago running temperature was just over 70c, with little headroom blowing steam once it got to 80c. Now several improvements later with regards water flow and running temperature is a much healthier 60c - only rising up into the mid 60s on 18 hour continuous cruising around the summer equinox when getting some miles behind is needed... I keep telling Mrs T she is lucky we only have a small yard else i'd have a couple of old land rovers on there in various states of repair :lol:

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

I got suckered in to the proto spot terminology. :oops:

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Stu.

Mark, yes that was good thinking to get the high-temperature down. Temperature and Oil-Pressure gauges for instance can become unreliable from either faulty wiring or a faulty sensor and always in most cases would be reading lower-readings than actual. Things like that + a block water system and/or faulty pump or it's belt, can very quickly spell disaster - especially as during a journey a long-way from either home or help...

Do you have an over-temperature/oil-pressure warning lamp or buzzer, as well as Dynamo/Alternator Amp-meter/lamp/buzzer, etc., which themselves would give a warning that all is not well - down below.. ??

I was paid to completely re-wire a large cabin-cruiser some years ago, after a small fire in the wiring system showed that there were many bad- connections in the whole system previously. Corrosion of course is a persistent-problem in the sea-air where dissimilar-metals are in direct contact. Using much of my aviation knowledge completed the task, knowing that a longer life-span for the electrics at least - would ensue...
I even fitted a separate set of gauges in the engine-bay, as knowing that often the owner would be on his own in the river or North Sea areas, so at least he could confirm if a gauge or sensor was a likely fault..

Cheers
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:11 pm Do you have an over-temperature/oil-pressure warning lamp or buzzer, as well as Dynamo/Alternator Amp-meter/lamp/buzzer, etc., which themselves would give a warning that all is not well - down below.. ??
Yes, just 3 gauges on there, battery voltage, oil pressure gauge and water temperature gauge. The other key thing was making sure the right sender unit is matched to to gauge. The other main sensors are my ears listening to the engine and being aware for any changes in tone or new noises, and also my eyes; namely a pre-departure visual of the engine on each journey and watching the colour and volume of smoke coming out.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Excellent on the gauges and you mention about listening to the engine sound, which is something I learnt many years ago in flying-training, where the slightest and unexpected change in an aircraft's engine noise was all important, regardless of any indication on the instrument-panel.

In other words, "If it don't sound right - get on the ground asap and investigate later"...

At least Mark, you can usually moor-up somewhere nearby - I guess...

Cheers
Terry