AR2804 in High Res | Feb 26th 2021

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

AR2804 in High Res | Feb 26th 2021

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

Woke up to fog, but was blessed with some good seeing and a clear sky this morning. I was able to get close to some limits with high resolution setup and after seeing deteriorated went to a moderate resolution setup for a wider field of view. I spent most of the time on AR2804 as it has evolved into a really interesting sunspot with a huge lovely penumbra with lots of fibrils and the plage around it has lots of great activity including minor flaring. Upper chromosphere and lower photosphere represented in 656nm and 600nm wavelengths to handle the seeing. Seeing was spiking to 0.8 arc-seconds this morning, so that's where I captured the 200mm data, and when seeing was closer to 1 & 1.2 arc-seconds I captured the 120mm data. I was able to piece together a short time lapse of AR2804 from the 200mm data to see how rapid the plasma was moving and represented real time of only about 4 minutes.

Time Lapse (4 minute) of AR2804 in High Res:

https://astrob.in/full/ta0dwp/0/

Colored High Res (200mm):

Colored Wide Field (120mm):

B&W High Res (200mm):

B&W Wide Field (120mm):

Seeing Conditions for both imaging trains:

200mm seeing (0.8 arc-seconds a few times):
SeeingConditions_200mm_02262021.jpg
SeeingConditions_200mm_02262021.jpg (142.77 KiB) Viewed 549 times
120mm seeing (1 to 1.2 arc-seconds repeated):
SeeingConditions_120mm_02262021.jpg
SeeingConditions_120mm_02262021.jpg (161.35 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Equipment:

C8 Edge HD + 214mm D-ERF + Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (2nd D-ERF)
+ PST Etalon + 10mm BF + ASI290MM (HA High Res)
+ Baader ND3 + ASI290MM (600nm Photosphere High Res)

120mm F10 Refractor + Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (Sub-aperture internal D-ERF)
+ PST Etalon + 10mm BF + ASI290MM (HA wide field)
+ Baader ND3 + ASI290MM (600nm Photosphere wide field)
Solarsetup_02262021.jpg
Solarsetup_02262021.jpg (266.38 KiB) Viewed 549 times
Very best,

Stardust5858

Re: AR2804 in High Res | Feb 26th 2021

Post by Stardust5858 »

Lovely captures Marty, the sunspot group is really nice now. Thanks for sharing your image's.

10ft x 6ft Solar RoR with Warm Room
Lunt 60mm Double Stack HA
80ed WL+ Lunt Hershal Wedge + Badder K-Line filter.
100mm AR + Lunt b1800 Ca-K module.
Neq6 Eq Mount.

2.7m Pulsar Dome.
11in Celestron SCT + White Light Filter.
70mm AR Stellavue.
12inch OO Newtonian.
Eq8 r Pro Mount.
H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by H-Alpha »

Dear Marty,

Thanks a lot for these amazing photos and the info that accompanies them.
I am very new to the forum. For the first time in my life I followed sunspots (AR2804 and AR2805) this week and this was really exciting.

Perhaps you saw another post I sent, where I desperately ask help to find a 200mm D-ERF (from Valery/Aries or anywhere), because I dream to make my C8 a solar telescope (although I understand it will take a lot of time to get experience for using it correctly). Can you please answer any of the several questions I have regarding you 200mm photos and equipment:

1) Is this https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/b ... (red).html your Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (2nd D-ERF)?
2) What '(2nd D-ERF)' means? Is this filter a kind of D-ERF?
3) Any advice on where to find the PST Etalon + 10mm BF? (PST etalon is an old good one that can't be easily found today?)
4) Any advice on where to find a D-ERF 200mm?
5) I liked very much your first HR WL image. You wrote it is the result of 81 frames. How many in total taken? (and for how long the original video?)
6) Did you use some Barlow for the 200mm images and which one?
7) I suppose the light purple dots on the seeing plot, are the moments you took your photos. Do you start shooting when you see the seeing dropping low at the live plot?

Sorry for the many questions and many thanks for any answer you may provide. It will help me a lot to make a few more steps towards my dream to make photos that will approach a bit the quality of yours one day! :-)

Alexandros

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

H-Alpha wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:02 pm Perhaps you saw another post I sent, where I desperately ask help to find a 200mm D-ERF (from Valery/Aries or anywhere), because I dream to make my C8 a solar telescope (although I understand it will take a lot of time to get experience for using it correctly). Can you please answer any of the several questions I have regarding you 200mm photos and equipment:

1) Is this https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/b ... (red).html your Baader Red CCD-IR Block Filter (2nd D-ERF)?
2) What '(2nd D-ERF)' means? Is this filter a kind of D-ERF?
3) Any advice on where to find the PST Etalon + 10mm BF? (PST etalon is an old good one that can't be easily found today?)
4) Any advice on where to find a D-ERF 200mm?
5) I liked very much your first HR WL image. You wrote it is the result of 81 frames. How many in total taken? (and for how long the original video?)
6) Did you use some Barlow for the 200mm images and which one?
7) I suppose the light purple dots on the seeing plot, are the moments you took your photos. Do you start shooting when you see the seeing dropping low at the live plot?

Sorry for the many questions and many thanks for any answer you may provide. It will help me a lot to make a few more steps towards my dream to make photos that will approach a bit the quality of yours one day! :-)

Alexandros
Hi,

You can get a large D-ERF from several places including:

Altair Astro
AiryLabs
Baader
Beloptik

(Altair astro will be producing HA/CaK dual band D-ERFs soon this year)

Up front, just know, there's no magic bullet for equipment, high res requires excellent seeing conditions. You will hear and read lots of anecdotal gut stuff, but the bottom line is you can only image to whatever your atmospheric seeing conditions are. So unless you have an idea of what your common day time seeing conditions are when you're actually available to image on a given day, you're only able to get to the resolution of that seeing that moment of that day. I highly recommend not trying to jump to an 8 inch or bigger aperture for solar. I recommend instead you get a firm metric on what your local seeing is before you ever consider venturing past 4 inch apertures frankly. But instead of just guessing at things, I would recommend you get data or metrics and measure your seeing (be it via imaging often at the best times of day you can for seeing; or with a scintillation monitor). No matter what anyone tells you, the bottom line is that seeing is what you're limited to, if your seeing is poor, the resolution will be poor. I just warn heavily on this because lots of people want to get into high res imaging with bigger apertures, but do not have seeing conditions to support it. Work out your seeing limits first.

To your questions:

1) Yes, the basic Baader Red CCD-IR block filter is my primary D-ERF on my refractors and handles up to 150mm aperture with refractors and is all you need for a D-ERF for solar with red wavelengths. I use the same thing with Blue for CaK, 395nm and all that. I use them as secondary D-ERFs with larger apertures (8") to complete the blocking of thermal energy.

2) With a large aperture, I employ two DERF's, one is primary (the first one, full aperture, in front of the optics) and the second one in the focuser, before my narrowband filters, to further grind down thermal energy. The two combined will drop thermal load heavily on big apertures.

3) A good PST etalon is about as rare as it gets. I don't recommend it. If you happen upon one, that's different. I went through 3 PST etalons before getting a good one, and it's a pre-Meade one with high finesse. I got lucky. Most PST etalons are bad. Just like most Quark's are pretty poor. If you want good quality you have to pay for it. Otherwise, you can spend a fortune trying to get lucky on entry level low quality stuff just seeing if you get lucky (gamble). I don't recommend doing all that. But before getting all into this, I would recommend you focus on what your seeing conditions are first, so that you know what your limits are first, and go from there.

4) See above; I would explore Airlabs and Altair Astro first.

5) I was imaging at 170 FPS with a 290MM sensor, 30 second intervals, so 5,100 frames every 30 seconds. I do this back to back for a few minutes to an internal SSD drive (1TB). I then look at my seeing conditions (see my graphs) to see when the best seeing occurs and those files that occurred during that time frame are the ones I process.

6) I try to avoid using barlows; none of the above were done with barlows. I prefer to use native focal lengths and will mask apertures to make the focal ratio of my need. Both instruments operated at F10 above, because F10 critically samples 656nm wavelength on 2.9um pixels. So my HA and photoshpere imaging on both instruments on the 2.9um pixels of my 290MM sensor critically sample. My 200mm F10 SCT is natively F10, my 150mm F8 refractor has an aperture mask to take it to 120mm F10.

7) I highlight my best seeing spikes in the graph to show what my seeing was when I made these images. I do not trigger with SSM. I just record the graph for data purposes. I use the time instead to know which files probably correlate with that seeing on the graph and go from there. Really good seeing happens briefly. I image at 170 FPS so that if my seeing spikes to 0.6~0.8 arc-seconds, it happened for 500ms, and so I've already got 85 frames recorded by the camera during that time period. So when it happens multiple times (such as in the graph), I have good odds of a lucky image where I can stack around 20~40 frames at least, and if it happened more than once, I can stack easily double that, or more. This is lucky imaging.

Happy to help.

Again though, before even thinking about purchasing into this stuff, I recommend you get a very firm idea of your atmospheric seeing conditions when you actually will be available to image. Going to 8" or bigger apertures in red wavelengths needs 0.8 arc-seconds seeing conditions, to even consider it. This is not common at all. I would instead suggest you focus on 4 inch to 6 inch refractor options, so that your seeing needs are only 1.65 arc-seconds to 1 arc-seconds, which is still incredible seeing conditions in reality. It has nothing to do with technique, experience, etc, it has 100% everything to do with simply having the atmospheric seeing conditions to be able to do this.

Personally, if I were to do it all over again, after having done all this and learned a lot from doing it and from the good folks around these forums, I would simply build a good 150mm F10 refractor and get a good dual pass D-ERF for that size and call it a day with that.

Very best,

H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by H-Alpha »

Dear Marty THANK YOU Soooooooo Much!!!!

Very precious advice and details! :bow
I am very happy because what you proposed is what I am already doing! I just bought the SSM to make an archive and get a good idea of my local seeing. :-) I also observe daily the https://www.meteoblue.com for the astronomic seeing to see how good they are in their forecast. There I had once so far 0.8 in one week and usually 1.2 to 1.4. I also take a video of the sun with the C8 to have a visual archive of the daily seeing. It seems that the jet-stream in my area is relatively kind, but I need much longer statistics for conclusions as you say.

1) Regarding ERFs, I have contacted Airy Lab and they don't produce them anymore (nor HaTs). Baader and Altair go only up to 180mm (no 200mm). Beloptik have only 105 and 125mm. Do you propose to go for a 180mm and reduce my aperture for the C8 or keep looking for 200mm?

2) Do you use an extension tube between the focuser and the camera?

3) Since you did not use barlows for the above images (and if no extension tube was used), does this mean that your images are just cropped photos, in which you had almost the entire solar disk in the original photo? (sorry if the question is too naive because of my ignorance...)

Thanks so much once more for taking the time to explain to me so many things in details! Tremendous help! Your post will be a precious guide.
:bow2

Alexandros

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

H-Alpha wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:54 am There I had once so far 0.8 in one week and usually 1.2 to 1.4. I also take a video of the sun with the C8 to have a visual archive of the daily seeing. It seems that the jet-stream in my area is relatively kind, but I need much longer statistics for conclusions as you say.

1) Regarding ERFs, I have contacted Airy Lab and they don't produce them anymore (nor HaTs). Baader and Altair go only up to 180mm (no 200mm). Beloptik have only 105 and 125mm. Do you propose to go for a 180mm and reduce my aperture for the C8 or keep looking for 200mm?

3) Since you did not use barlows for the above images (and if no extension tube was used), does this mean that your images are just cropped photos, in which you had almost the entire solar disk in the original photo? (sorry if the question is too naive because of my ignorance...)
Heya,

0.8 to 1.4 arc-seconds is pretty great seeing, but predictions and your reality are two different things. You would do well to measure your seeing for a while and see what the best time(s) of day are for you most commonly (use meteoblue as a guide to start when to attempt), and get an idea of what is possible.

Regarding the D-ERF size and where you can get it, I wouldn't be too speedy to go after an 8 inch solar scope. Nor bigger. I would much more recommend a 6 inch refractor (achromatic doublet is fine, longer the focal-ratio, the better) and get a good D-ERF for that instead. For example, look at iStar Optical objectives (150mm F10 lens) and get an tube or truss made with one of those and then get a 6" D-ERF for that. You would be far better served with that, and again, rarely will you have seeing that supports that full aperture (around 1 arc-second for the full 150mm in HA). Everyone gets interested and explores bigger apertures, but in reality, seeing is such a fickle thing. Having done it and still doing it, I don't recommend it to anyone unless they have extraordinary seeing conditions commonly, not just rarely. Just my opinion though.

I don't recommend getting a smaller DERF for a C8 and reducing aperture; the problem with that is that the central obstruction stays large and the ratio of obstruction to aperture increases and you lose contrast and transmission in general. If you're doing that, you would be far better off with a 150mm refractor than a masked C8 with D-ERF.

My C8 above has its normal focuser for moving the primary mirror, but I have a crayford focuser mounted on the visual back of it for precise easier focus that doesn't shift the mirror. So there's a bit of extension if you consider that. Otherwise, no extensions are needed with the SCT. My refractor uses slight extensions depending on the filter configuration I'm using. I would rather do this than deal with short scopes and barlows though (less glass, less dust, less problems).

My photos are cropped only a little (the edges removed). I'm using a 290MM sensor on a 2000mm focal length and 1200mm focal length, so the FOV is rather small.

Very best,

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Stunning images as usual, Marty! :bow

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
p_zetner

Post by p_zetner »

Another great series of “stellar” solar shots, Marty!
Thanks for sharing and I’m always impressed by your sage advice on imaging techniques.
Cheers.
Peter

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

A very impressive set of images Marty! Kudos to you for all the sage advice you give on solar astronomy, not just on this thread and forum, but other forums also! Always a pleasure to see what you have captured.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Another beautiful set of images, Marty, and some great advice.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
JochenM

Post by JochenM »

Cracking shots as usual, Marty.

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
rcwinter
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by rcwinter »

Hi Marty

Your HiRes stuff is superb, having a look at the SSM , looks like a wise investment.

Quick question , what program do you use for processing as you files are very large etc ..

Richard

Baader DERF 90 & 160. Vixen SP102M Moonlite, Takahashi TOA130 Feathertouch 3.5, Takahashi FSQ106N, Daystar Quantum SE .4ang, Apollo Max, ZWO ASI 174MM. 2600mm, 178MM, Lumenera Skynx & Infinity 2
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

rcwinter wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:31 am Quick question , what program do you use for processing as you files are very large etc ..

Richard
Hi Richard,

I have tried several workflows to become efficient with time. Originally I was just generating all this data, copying every bit of it onto a portable drive from my observatory into my house onto my workstation PC and then fully processing it there and it would take forever (just copying took forever, and then pre-processing the big files took a long time on top of that).

Ultimately I found the fastest way is to reduce how often I have to copy the data in big clumps. So instead, I now have a PC in my observatory (instead of a laptop) and I pre-process in the observatory after capturing; I can pre-process with PIPP (single threaded application) while imaging and it has zero impact on capture (no dropped frames, no loss in FPS) as the CPU does not have anything to do with capturing hardly at all, so the CPU is largely idle during capture. I instead use it to pre-process with PIPP to cut down 5k and 10k frame files down to 400 of the best quality weighted frames instead. This takes minutes. Then I just copy the results from PIPP which are much smaller onto my portable SSD to take with me into the house, these files are tiny, so they copy in seconds.

I then run these PIPP resulted files through AS!3, and since they're tiny, they process in less than 30 seconds completely on a Ryzen 3700X CPU, each, so I can get through a lot of files in only a few minutes this way. I tested prior trying to do all the work on AS!3 with this CPU and it was significantly slower than preprocessing with PIPP first. AS!3 is not efficient with multi-core processors, so the larger your files and the more frames, it will take a long time because it doesn't scale well with CPU (it benefits most from single core speed, then multi-core but it will not saturate all your cores so there's a diminishing return very quickly; AS!4 is supposed to scale better on multi-core). Even though PIPP is single threaded application, it's more efficient at quality weighting and uses the same LaPlace estimation calcs. I've checked results from both software and they're 99.9% identical every time using image-subtraction, so there's no quality difference, just saving time.

The fastest way is not the best CPU, it's just two mid-tier or entry tier CPU's working together efficiently, because the softwares do not scale with CPU very well. So again, the fastest method so far is to pre-process with PIPP after capture (remove all options and only use quality estimation, no debayer, no stabilization, no processing, nothing, just quality estimation, and its fast on single core); then process that PIPP result smaller file with Autostakkert!3 (let it do the aligning, debayering if applicable, stacking, etc).

Doing this, what used to take me a few hours in copying and pre-processing time with 250Gb+ of data, now takes 15~20 minutes as the data is largely reduced from 250Gb+ to something like 30~70Gb depending on what sensors I used. The 290MM's data is small, so it goes very fast.

Very best,

Valery

Post by Valery »

MalVeauX wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:37 am
H-Alpha wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:54 am There I had once so far 0.8 in one week and usually 1.2 to 1.4. I also take a video of the sun with the C8 to have a visual archive of the daily seeing. It seems that the jet-stream in my area is relatively kind, but I need much longer statistics for conclusions as you say.

Heya,

0.8 to 1.4 arc-seconds is pretty great seeing, but predictions and your reality are two different things. You would do well to measure your seeing for a while and see what the best time(s) of day are for you most commonly (use meteoblue as a guide to start when to attempt), and get an idea of what is possible.

Regarding the D-ERF size and where you can get it, I wouldn't be too speedy to go after an 8 inch solar scope. Nor bigger. I would much more recommend a 6 inch refractor (achromatic doublet is fine, longer the focal-ratio, the better) and get a good D-ERF for that instead. For example, look at iStar Optical objectives (150mm F10 lens) and get an tube or truss made with one of those and then get a 6" D-ERF for that. You would be far better served with that, and again, rarely will you have seeing that supports that full aperture (around 1 arc-second for the full 150mm in HA). Everyone gets interested and explores bigger apertures, but in reality, seeing is such a fickle thing. Having done it and still doing it, I don't recommend it to anyone unless they have extraordinary seeing conditions commonly, not just rarely. Just my opinion though.

I don't recommend getting a smaller DERF for a C8 and reducing aperture; the problem with that is that the central obstruction stays large and the ratio of obstruction to aperture increases and you lose contrast and transmission in general. If you're doing that, you would be far better off with a 150mm refractor than a masked C8 with D-ERF.

My C8 above has its normal focuser for moving the primary mirror, but I have a crayford focuser mounted on the visual back of it for precise easier focus that doesn't shift the mirror. So there's a bit of extension if you consider that. Otherwise, no extensions are needed with the SCT. My refractor uses slight extensions depending on the filter configuration I'm using. I would rather do this than deal with short scopes and barlows though (less glass, less dust, less problems).

My photos are cropped only a little (the edges removed). I'm using a 290MM sensor on a 2000mm focal length and 1200mm focal length, so the FOV is rather small.

Very best,

H-alpha,

I will make a 214mm DERF for you. No problem with this. Marty do use an ARIES 214mm DERF.

Personal message sent.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Wide field addition from this morning. I watched AR2804 this morning and one of its poles was popping flares for a while, around 10am or so Eastern.
AR2804_minor_flare_02272021.gif
AR2804_minor_flare_02272021.gif (228.77 KiB) Viewed 411 times
If anyone wanted to view or image the Wilson effect, tomorrow may be the day with AR2804 as it rounds the limb since it's large enough!

100mm F10 + Baader Red CCD-IR Block filter (internal sub-aperture DERF)
PST Etalon + 10mm BF
Flir Grasshopper 3 IMX253 Sensor

Very best,

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Very nice images Marty. I see the small flare on two of these. I noticed a small bright area here early in the afternoon. I didn't think anything of it and thought it was just a bright patch of plage.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Awesome, Marty, what a great session ! Everything looks great, thank you for posting these images.

Franco

H-Alpha
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by H-Alpha »

Thanks Marty for the nice flares and the updates on AR2804!
This was the first sunspot session that I ever observed every day from birth to solar limb (although just with a solar filter).
What a great session as Franco wrote.
Should we expect prominences to be photographed by you guys above AR2804 as it approaches the limb?
Alexandros

Alexandros
Lunt 130MT+1800BF, C8 Ultima PEC+AstroSolar, Skywatcher Mount EQ6-R Pro
Baader Solar Prism, ZEISS Abbe Barlow 2x, Celestron Barlow 2x Ultima Series
ZWO ASI290MM, ZWO ASI1600MM Pro,
Greece
MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

H-Alpha wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:26 am Thanks Marty for the nice flares and the updates on AR2804!
This was the first sunspot session that I ever observed every day from birth to solar limb (although just with a solar filter).
What a great session as Franco wrote.
Should we expect prominences to be photographed by you guys above AR2804 as it approaches the limb?
Alexandros
It is really awesome to see a pore develop, become a spot with an umbra and develop a good penumbra, then grow larger into a pretty significant spot with a big penumbra. And tomorrow, if you watch it as it nears the limb, you can view the Wilson effect.

If weather permits and there's activity, I may try to observe the Wilson effect depending on how well it shows if the spot is in a good location when I'm up tomorrow morning. We'll see! The sun changes every day, hourly, so its always something new to see.

Very best,