Timelaspe animations of the 2 visible sunspot regions, from the 19th of April

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
AJamesB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Timelaspe animations of the 2 visible sunspot regions, from the 19th of April

Post by AJamesB »

Here are 2 animations of the main visible sunspot regions, a 30min timelapse for the smaller, departing region and a 1hr for the slightly larger region. Data is from the 19th of April.

I normally do an image every 30 seconds for my timelapses, but this time tried an image every 60 seconds instead, and I think its just a bit to much time inbetween captures to maintain smooth movement in the smaller structures, so I'll go back to doing images every 30 seconds when smaller structures will be included. I think 60 seconds would be enough though for larger prominences, where movement is slower or over greater distances.

Lunt 100 single stacked with asi294mm at bin2 and 4x telecentric + ROI of about 2100x1400

Lunt ls100tha single stacked + hinode solar guider on ioptron cem26 mount
asi178mm
asi294mm
2x, 3x, and 4x telecentrics
0.6x and 0.4x telecompressors
ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Timelaspe animations of the 2 visible sunspot regions, from the 19th of April

Post by ffellah »

My iPad could not load the first one but the second one is excellent. Thank you.

Franco

Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Timelaspe animations of the 2 visible sunspot regions, from the 19th of April

Post by Radon86 »

Hi,
Good work ! Good detailed - I like the Lunt 100 ! I wish I could afford such an expensive telescope.

I am thinking of doing animations as well, but maybe 15 seconds in between files (only pause for 15 seconds between end of one and the start of the next).

DId you do any processing, deconvolution, unsharp masking, levels, contrast, and curves adjustment at all -
and then aligning of the images ?

Thanks.
Magnus!

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi AJamesB,

I was wondering what telecentric barlows did you use ? (Televue powermates) and telecompressors?
Sounds very technical. I would like to get better flat field images but wonder how to do this, and find the right one to use for your solar imaging system..

Thanks.
Magnus

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Fines animations James - thanks for sharing

Terry

AJamesB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by AJamesB »

Boso36 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am I was wondering what telecentric barlows did you use ? (Televue powermates) and telecompressors?
Sounds very technical. I would like to get better flat field images but wonder how to do this, and find the right one to use for your solar imaging system..
For this setup using the larger sensored asi294mm, I used a Baader 4x telecentric. Its on the spendy side, but its fantastic and optimized for h-alpha. When doing similar sized imaging but with my smaller sensored asi178mm, I only need a 2x, and for that I use a Televue brand as its cheaper than the baader but still gives a nice flat image on my lunt. I haven't used it on other telescopes though so I don't know if that flat field will translate equally well to other scopes.

For telecompressors, I had just been using a cheapo 0.5x that worked well with the small sensor of the asi178mm, but it did get really soft around the edges when doing full disc images with it. I recently upgraded that to a Solar Spectrum 0.4x which, while also not cheap, was sharp edge to edge, and while I wasn't looking for it specifically, no field unevenness jumped out at me.

This would be a great post though to make in the main forum, as there are so many people with so much more knowledge than what I have, and who would know what specifically to recommend for the specific telescope or system that you have. I'd recommend doing that, because there could be reasons why what works for me may not work for you or your setup.
DId you do any processing, deconvolution, unsharp masking, levels, contrast, and curves adjustment at all -
and then aligning of the images ?
Oh yes, absolutely. I did deconvolution, alignment, then more alignment, then stretching with masks in pixinsight, adjustments, etc., all the things one would do for a still image, just using batch processing to do it to everything. Then to get the extra smoothness, I do video framrate interpolation which takes the fps from 12 up to 60, giving it that smoothness of motion.

It all sounds complicated and time consuming, and the learning process is time consuming, but once you get it all down it actually goes pretty quick. My first timelapse probably took me about 6 hours (not including computer processing time) as I had to follow tutorials for each individual step, but now I can kick one out in about an hour. So it does get better, lol.
Last edited by AJamesB on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asi178mm
asi294mm
AJamesB
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by AJamesB »

ffellah wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:34 am My iPad could not load the first one but the second one is excellent. Thank you.

Franco
Huh. Try this link maybe?
https://i.redd.it/jkgr52eqzgu61.gif

asi178mm
asi294mm
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

These are beautiful to sit and stare at, so much going on in both :movie

Alexandra

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Great details James.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great movies!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!