Advice on Lunt LS80MT please

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Advice on Lunt LS80MT please

Post by Tigger »

Good evening,

I have owned a LS50 for about 6 months and I am now confident using it. Its a lovely little scope that never ceases to surprise me with the sharpness of the views. I set up using an 8mm Radian and usually swap with a 5mm rad (x70 mag). The seeing is 95% of the time able to support this higher mag, which is great, but its not enough. I need more mag and more resolution. I thought about the LS60 but its not a big enough jump. I would always be thinking 'should I have bought the 80mm?' The 100mm is too heavy for me. The 80mm seems the ideal choice at the moment. I have a couple of questions about spec on the 80mm if anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Oh just one other thing. I'm purely visual, absolutely no way will I be doing AP. I love seeing all the great images and videos on this chat, they are simply awe inspiring. You are all very gifted and passionate about the imaging and thank you for sharing. They bring a lot of pleasure to us still using the MK 1 visual aid, but AP is not for me

Q1 - Size of Blocking Filter - I have a pair of Badder mk V binoviewers that I hope to use with the scope. If I buy the BF1200 will my views thru the binos be compromised and if so why and by how much vs the BF1800. I am only moderately interested in full disc viewing. Its the high mag close ups that get my juices flowing.

Q2 - Focuser - will the standard crayford support the Binos (they are heavy beasts) or do I need to upgrade to R&P?

Q3 - Which package to get from Lunt - Has anyone used it for night time obs? looks like a great little grab and go for after dark? so is it worth paying the extra few bob to get the Starter rather than the basic kit?

Thanks for your help.

John

DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Advice on Lunt LS80MT please

Post by DeepSolar64 »

John,

Though I am learning to image I will always be primarily a visual observer. And I do need to get me a good binoviewer!

I think the 80mm size is excellent. Small enough to cut through through so-so seeing fairly well but big enough to have good resolution. The Lunt LS80MT is an ED scope so it should do really well for night time use. I strongly considered a Lunt LS80MT but found a Coronado SMII90 double stacked scope on sellout for cheaper than the cost of the single stacked Lunt model. The SMII90 does very well, I wasn't disappointed. But it is a dedicated instrument. It won't do nighttime. Are you gonna double stack the LS80MT or go with single stack?

A well made rack and pinion focuser is typically a bit stronger under a heavy load than a Crayford is. I guess it depends on how heavy your binoviewer and eyepieces are. Large eyepieces on a heavy binoviewer can be quite weighty.

Good luck on your choice.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Tigger »

Hi James,

Thank you for your advice. Good to hear you are happy with the Coronado. I already have 3 night time scopes so the MT is not a deal breaker. Dedicated solar scope would do just fine. I think I will start with SS and see how I get on. You have confirmed my thoughts on the R&P, although I think I will mono most of the time because current highest mag with binos would be x38.

Clear skies and thanks James

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I use a BF15 blocking filter on the Coronado. It's in their medium size/field range. Smaller BFs are cheaper but have a narrower field of view and larger are more expensive but have a wider field. Imaging typically requires a wider field than visual does.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Tigger »

Hi James, Yes that is my understanding of BF's, but I wonder if I need a BF1800 instead of a 1200 for the binos, or would I get away with a BF1200?

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Not sure on that. I don't yet have a binoviewer but I would choose the highest number/widest field model I could afford.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hi there.

Always get the largest blocker you can afford, the 1800 would be better with binoviewrs to avoid vignetting.

Regards focusers, are you happy with the stock focusers on your other night time scopes? If so you will probably be fine with the stock on the Lunt. If not and you prefer a moonlite or feathertouch then I would suggest the upgrade.

No idea for your last question. If you already have 3 nighttime scopes wouldn't you use those at night?

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Tigger »

Hi Mark & James,

Many thanks for your thoughts. I kinda thought you would both recommend the bf1800.

Yes I am happy with the myriad of focuser I have. I have even got used to the helical on the LS50!

Night time scopes - I was hoping if the ls80 was passable as a nighttime scope that I could sell my 4” & 6” Maks that I just use as grab&gos.

Her indoors is starting to grumble about the amount of ‘star stuff’

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I have gotten used to the helical focusers on my Coronados too but still would prefer a crayford or rack and pinion over them.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars