Solar Spectrum 0.5Å first light

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Solar Spectrum 0.5Å first light

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, everyone

This is a “first light” image using a Solar Spectrum 0.5Å filter (Advanced series). It arrived in March this year after a wait of about 4 months. In mediocre seeing, I used it on an Explore Scientific 152 achromat with a Baader 135 mm DERF in front with a Baader 4X telecentric in back to give the recommended f/30. The instruction sheet indicates that using the filter at less than f/24 will damage the filter.

https://www.deviantart.com/giovannigabr ... -879479815

I also tried double stacking my LS 152 with this filter, again using the Baader 4X telecentric.
Although the view is a bit dark, I feel this configuration is useable for bright AR’s and the contrast is superior compared to using a Quark to double stack the 152.

I’m still deciding where to put the Temperature controller (it lies in line between the power supply and the filter). For now, it’s on a table next to my laptop, parked in a wooden enclosure, with vents for the top and rear airflow, to prevent it being dragged off the table. It’s recommended that this component be kept out of direct sun. The white board behind it in the photo gives it shade. This controller displays a continuous indication of its progress to reaching the set temperature.
DSC00019.JPG
DSC00019.JPG (762.91 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Once I get a power cord extension, I think the controller will ride on the optical tube. The main reason for this is the very thick, stiff cord connecting the controlller to the filter which feels like it is always tugging at the filter.

I want to use this filter on my 180 Mak either with the DERF 135 mm + 1.5X telecentric for f/30 at 4050mm and also with a Baader 180mm DERF + 2X Powermate for f/30 and either 0.8X or 0.7X reducers for manageable scale (a bit less or more than 4000 mm).

On the next sunny day, I’ll try out this filter with the Mak.

Also, I have a new FLIR Grasshopper (2.3 Mp) for high res work. The camera is fine but there is a strange
problem which I think may be due to the software. Whether I use it with Flycapture alone or Firecapture + Flycapture, the gamma control doesn’t work. It looks active but when I try to pull the slider along, it snaps back to its starting point and causes no changes.

Finally, I was late in noticing the release of Firecapture 2.7beta which promised something important for me: support for Spinnaker driven cameras like my Blackfly. Well, it does allow what it says except for one
feature: again, the gamma control doesn’t work.

If anyone reading this uses either the Grasshopper2.3 or uses Firecapture beta with Blackfly cameras, I’d appreciate hearing suggestions to solve this problem.

Lou

minhlead
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Solar Spectrum 0.5Å first light

Post by minhlead »

gabrieli wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:01 pm Hi, everyone

This is a “first light” image using a Solar Spectrum 0.5Å filter (Advanced series). It arrived in March this year after a wait of about 4 months. In mediocre seeing, I used it on an Explore Scientific 152 achromat with a Baader 135 mm DERF in front with a Baader 4X telecentric in back to give the recommended f/30. The instruction sheet indicates that using the filter at less than f/24 will damage the filter.

https://www.deviantart.com/giovannigabr ... -879479815

I also tried double stacking my LS 152 with this filter, again using the Baader 4X telecentric.
Although the view is a bit dark, I feel this configuration is useable for bright AR’s and the contrast is superior compared to using a Quark to double stack the 152.

I’m still deciding where to put the Temperature controller (it lies in line between the power supply and the filter). For now, it’s on a table next to my laptop, parked in a wooden enclosure, with vents for the top and rear airflow, to prevent it being dragged off the table. It’s recommended that this component be kept out of direct sun. The white board behind it in the photo gives it shade. This controller displays a continuous indication of its progress to reaching the set temperature.

DSC00019.JPG

Once I get a power cord extension, I think the controller will ride on the optical tube. The main reason for this is the very thick, stiff cord connecting the controlller to the filter which feels like it is always tugging at the filter.

I want to use this filter on my 180 Mak either with the DERF 135 mm + 1.5X telecentric for f/30 at 4050mm and also with a Baader 180mm DERF + 2X Powermate for f/30 and either 0.8X or 0.7X reducers for manageable scale (a bit less or more than 4000 mm).

On the next sunny day, I’ll try out this filter with the Mak.

Also, I have a new FLIR Grasshopper (2.3 Mp) for high res work. The camera is fine but there is a strange
problem which I think may be due to the software. Whether I use it with Flycapture alone or Firecapture + Flycapture, the gamma control doesn’t work. It looks active but when I try to pull the slider along, it snaps back to its starting point and causes no changes.

Finally, I was late in noticing the release of Firecapture 2.7beta which promised something important for me: support for Spinnaker driven cameras like my Blackfly. Well, it does allow what it says except for one
feature: again, the gamma control doesn’t work.

If anyone reading this uses either the Grasshopper2.3 or uses Firecapture beta with Blackfly cameras, I’d appreciate hearing suggestions to solve this problem.

Lou
Great photo Lou. Nice to see the solarspectrum in action. Is the temperature control unit acts as a cooling/heating radiator or just a power adapter for the cooler/heater on the etalon?

Minh.
Loves from Viet Nam <3
My gear:
Scope: SkyRover (Kunming Optics) 152mm F/6 Doublets
Mount: JTW Tridents GTR
Camera:
PlayerOne Apollo M-Max
Quark Chromosphere Doublestacked with PST etalon
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Fabulous image Lou :hamster: :bow congratulations on the Solarspectrum. I would like to buy one but was told I would be waiting indefinitely and that the 0.3A is not available only the 0.5A. At least I can see now what a 0.5A one looks like in the flesh :)

Alexandra

eroel

Post by eroel »

Lou:
Congratulations on your new filter, they perform beautifully.
Best regards,
Eric.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

That's a nice capture Lou and thanks for posting

Terry

p_zetner

Post by p_zetner »

Hi Lou.
Congratulations on your first light! Looks like a terrific piece of kit.
It may be that the gamma problem is due to the acquisition mode you are using. My Pt. Grey camera doesn’t allow gamma adjustment in mode 0 but does allow it in mode 7.
Cheers.
Peter

gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, Minh

Both the heating and cooling of the etalon happen in the chamber (oven) that contains the etalon.
The Temperature controller (TEC) is a very well regulated power supply that maintains a
precise temperature in the oven. The fan on the controller only helps it regulate its own temperature.

Lou

minhlead
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by minhlead »

gabrieli wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:05 pm Hi, Minh

Both the heating and cooling of the etalon happen in the chamber (oven) that contains the etalon.
The Temperature controller (TEC) is a very well regulated power supply that maintains a
precise temperature in the oven. The fan on the controller only helps it regulate its own temperature.

Lou
Thanks for the explaination Lou,
How long did you have to wait for this? I heard the waiting lisst for solarspectrum filter is long.

Minh.
Loves from Viet Nam <3
My gear:
Scope: SkyRover (Kunming Optics) 152mm F/6 Doublets
Mount: JTW Tridents GTR
Camera:
PlayerOne Apollo M-Max
Quark Chromosphere Doublestacked with PST etalon
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Congrats Lou with the new filter, class image.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, again Minh

I ordered the filter in mid October, 2020 by sending half of the payment. The second half of the payment was sent just before the filter was shipped in early February, 2021. The filter arrived in mid February. This was about the length of time advertised on Alpine Astro website. I planned to have the filter produced over winter since that is not a time I do much imaging.

Lou

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Congrats on the new filter Lou, looks to be a winner. Nice to see a pic of the setup. Looking forward to seeing more results especially with the other setups.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!