August 20 2021 Observations. Nice loop NE Filament.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

August 20 2021 Observations. Nice loop NE Filament.

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time is from 15:36 to 16:12 UTC. The skies are mostly cloudy. Seeing is a bit below average. The temperature is 79F ( 26.1C ).

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x, 21.5x, 25x, 33x and 50x. ( Ha )
The NE filament is easy to see today. It's a broad arc or loop shape arcing northward. I can actually see mottling and striations within it! The eastern side is more diffuse and broken. I can see a point on the bottom between the two " legs". I hope this one persists and holds together as it crosses the disc to again make a nice prominence this time on the northwest limb.

Elsewhere on the disc I see filaments in the NW, and central area of the disc and one small one well below the big filament in the NE. The SE has a lightly shaded but fairly large filament near the limb which was visible as a prominence several days back. I can see a couple of small filaments in some " rufflage " in the SE near the limb.

We have some decent prominences today. I can see a group on the NE limb consisting of three tall thin individuals with a faint prom to their south. I was surprised to see faint connecting tendrils between them, something that is more usually seen in the SMII90. A tiny bright prom is seen to the south. The SE limb shows a couple of small proms. The SW limb shows a nice fairly bright rounded pyramid prominence. The NW shows a really bright prominence that has a low loop shape being brighter on one side. In the just over half hour that I observed, it changed shape significantly raising up like an inchworm and disconnecting one end from the solar disc!

Active regions are weak today. I can see AR12858 easily in the NW quadrant. AR12855 and AR12857 near the NW limb are just mere disturbances which take a close look to make out. I also see a little bit of " rufflage "in the SE quadrant near the limb.

The mottles are easily seen today covering the solar disc.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope 25x and 50x ( WL )
AR12858 is visible by showing 4 pores. I can also see faculae that is associated with AR12857 very near the NW limb. I can also see faculae in the SE quad just inward from the limb. It's where ha shows rufflage there! The fine solar granulation is visible but is not obvious.

Happy Friday!!!

James

GONGha+SDOHMIc_8-20-21.JPG
GONGha+SDOHMIc_8-20-21.JPG (144.73 KiB) Viewed 294 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Ivan

Re: August 20 2021 Observations. Nice loop NE Filament.

Post by Ivan »

Excellent report, James, interesting and detailed. I also saw this giant filament today.

Ivan

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Happy Saturday James :) thanks for the virtual view of the Sun :hamster: pouring with rain here and absolutely nothing to do. I have loads of solar processing I could be doing, but no computer :( I had to beg the hubby to use his for a Solarchat ;)

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Montana wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:58 am Happy Saturday James :) thanks for the virtual view of the Sun :hamster: pouring with rain here and absolutely nothing to do. I have loads of solar processing I could be doing, but no computer :( I had to beg the hubby to use his for a Solarchat ;)

Alexandra

I feel for you, Alexandra. Did your computer die? I use my wife's laptop for my solar image acquisition and move the files to my desktop for stacking and processing. For visual reference I use either my iPhone, Desktop or my wife's laptop for viewing GONG and SDO images.

Good luck on clear skies and getting you a computer. You could always do visual which requires no image processing and record your notes on your phone or do it the old way by notebook.

But I think you are an imager by heart.... :girl:

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

So sorry to hear about your computer problems, which if I remember correctly - is not the first time. What on Earth or Sun do you do with them ??

Get another computer programmed with Win-XP, Win-7 or Win8/8.1, cus they don't seem to have problems (well not really)... Also a must to have a decent anti-virus (not COVID) program such as ESET which simply and professionally does the job without slowing a computer... More than one computer available in one package... Had that for years...

Probably very difficult to get those Win-platforms now - unless you know someone in the business, who has recently supplied both XP and 7 for my two new computers...

Anyway whichever, I wish you get that sorted soon...

Thanks James and things are getting excitable on the Sun at last...

Cheers
Terry

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys, I may be doing a bit of visual with the PSTs this week if the Sun ever comes out ;) maybe even a sketch if there is a nice prom.

I had a Windows 7 PC for 8-9 years doing all my solar stuff but the actual computer started to fall apart last year (plastic shattering) + Win7 was no longer safe. So I bought a very expensive new Dell to last the next 8 years. It did a Dell and Intel automatic update last Sunday and died. Dell help can't get it to work, Dell came and replaced the motherboard on Friday and still it doesn't work. Dell are coming back on Monday to replace the motherboard again and the hard drive with Windows 10 pre-loaded to see if they can get it to work :( If it does ever work again I then have the problem of getting all the software back to run on it. Photoshop will be problem because it wasn't deactivated first, so the licence is still attached to the previous motherboard. What fun! and total waste of time.
Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Alexandra,
That’s gotta suck. It happening after an update makes me wonder if some of the update files were corrupted and caused the problem. Sometimes system restore can fix stuff like this. Other times going back to factory default or wiping the drive and doing a new install of the OS is the only way. But Dell should have thought of this if that was the case. Otherwise I guess it would be a hardware issue.

I still use a Windows 7 pc for most of my work. I just have to make sure I keep my antivirus and antimalware software up to date and I do manual scans often. Windows 7 stopped updating a year and a half ago except for the Malicious Software Removal Tool which updates monthly. I use it as well. So far no issues with Windows 7.

Good luck. 🍀 James.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I did get some observation time in despite the clouds. I will post shortly. The large filament has faded and become more tenuous.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars