More trials with PST/Quark double stack

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

More trials with PST/Quark double stack

Post by gabrieli »

This was a very hazy day today with the solar disk occasionally blending with the white sky.
there were some gaps where marginal imaging was possible.

For this session I used the same set up as my last post with the following substitutions.

Powermate 2X + Quark Combo (no outer lenses) + 0.5X reducer. This gives an f30 light cone at the PST etalon. I'll play with higher resolution next if the sky is suitable.

The double stack effect was again easily visible even with the haze and with a nice sky there should be some really nice results.
proms.png
proms.png (217.07 KiB) Viewed 477 times
small loops.png
small loops.png (312.47 KiB) Viewed 477 times
wave.png
wave.png (257.57 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Also: I'll be writing to Alpine Astro about some clarification about the temperature controller on my SS 0.5Å filter and why it displays 0.0 as a preset temperature instead of an actual temperature and whether there is some way of getting the controller to display temperature instead of just a change in temperature.

The following labels and button were not explained in the instruction page and it might be worth my while to understand them. If anyone knows what they mean, feel free to comment.

The button is a circular arrow (1) and the labels are AT(2), OUT1&2(3), and ALM(4)
TEC.jpg
TEC.jpg (387.9 KiB) Viewed 477 times

minhlead
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: More trials with PST/Quark double stack

Post by minhlead »

Wow, your picture makes me wanna get a PST mod to stack ưith my Quark ASAP

Minh.
Loves from Viet Nam <3
My gear:
Scope: SkyRover (Kunming Optics) 152mm F/6 Doublets
Mount: JTW Tridents GTR
Camera:
PlayerOne Apollo M-Max
Quark Chromosphere Doublestacked with PST etalon
minhlead
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by minhlead »

How is the transmission of the DS? How much longer exposure time in comparing with the Quark SS?

Minh.
Loves from Viet Nam <3
My gear:
Scope: SkyRover (Kunming Optics) 152mm F/6 Doublets
Mount: JTW Tridents GTR
Camera:
PlayerOne Apollo M-Max
Quark Chromosphere Doublestacked with PST etalon
gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, Minh

Unfortunately, there is a price to pay when doing this kind of double stacking.

As you suggest, the image is dark. In these images, I used a shutter speed of 26 ms to 30 ms
with more gain than usual. You can keep noise down by recording many frames. I used between
1500 and 2000 frames and stacked 20%.

In single stack, with everything the same, shutter speeds can be 15 ms or less with little or no gain required. The image, though, shows less depth.

I also want to say that the video files were recorded on a very hot day, with a hazy sky and so processing rescued these images.

It takes a lot of care to find the right setting on the PST to get even looking images.

In a previous post, I used this double stack system at f15 with good results.

Lou

Astrophil
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Astrophil »

Lou, this might help.

Phil
83B239D6-95E2-4B49-ACDE-89B993F4AB79.jpeg
83B239D6-95E2-4B49-ACDE-89B993F4AB79.jpeg (197.53 KiB) Viewed 461 times

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Phil, where did you find that? my instruction booklet does not have this either. Lou my controller is identical to yours, same code and everything so I don't understand why it shouldn't display the same, although in the mode button there is only degrees C and F and Lou's seems to be neither? Keep clicking it and see what happens! I need to save this image Phil for future reference.

Fabulous images Lou, especially the second one :hamster: :bow

Alexandra

gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Thanks, Phil

On the Solar Spectrum website, it states that a controller called B-1 SR is standard for ASO series filters (my filter). Its display shows the preset temperature and the set temperature both in ˚C unlike mine. It's obvious now that this is not the controller that came with my filter. Although the filter works perfectly well, I can't help feeling a little bit sour about this "substitution". I'm going to wait and see what the reply is from Alpine Astro.
Frankly, I don't really care that my preset temperature is shown as 0.0 since I can change this up or down but it would be interesting to know what this temperature actually is. It should be on record somewhere.

Lou

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Lou, mine is identical to yours, a DTB4824 and came with my SS, it has not been substituted. It shows temperature. Keep flicking the mode button and see if you can get temp in C. However, the serial number should be on record with the temp operating temp.

Alexandra

gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, Alexandra

You have a booklet?

What was included with my filter was a couple of instruction sheets outlining basic operation.
When did you order/get your filter? Mine arrived this past March.

According to the SS website, I should have a controller called B-1 SR (for my Advanced Series filter and Research Grade filters) which does display set temperature and preset temperature. This is not what came with my filter.

Lou

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Promising results Lou!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Astrophil
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Astrophil »

Lou,

The Delta DTB 4824 appears to be a standard industrial temperature controller. From the looks of the display, the B-1 SR has the same controller. Operating manuals can be found by searching for the model number. You will find that there are a huge number of parameters that can be set for different applications. Mark has undoubtedly loaded ones specific to your filter and I would not start changing them at random.

I kind of like the idea of a “0” setting for on band temp. and adjusting + (for red) and - (for blue). Since each filter is different, actual temperature seems less important. If the controller handles the current requirements for your etalon, I think you are good to go.

Phil

allhoest
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by allhoest »

Fantastic spicule and loop.
CS
Alex.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Phil has some sound advice, if you scroll through the modes and don't get a different temperature then don't fiddle too much. If it ain't broke don't fix it. However, you do seem to be the only person without a temperature? Maybe Mark W could help.

My controller is identical to yours, it came with the SS which was bought in May2020 originally and I bought it second hand in July 2021 so they have been using this unit for at least a year, so yours is not a one off.

My instruction booklet is a series A4 sheets with basic instructions and placed in a black folder to bind them. However, it now has an extra sheet added with Phil's controller diagram :)

Alexandra

eroel

Post by eroel »

Lou:
Beautiful result in spite of the unknown real temperature readings in your SS controller.
Have a nice weekend.
Eric.