More DS configurations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

More DS configurations

Post by gabrieli »

The sky presented a hazy sun today with poor seeing and I didn’t expect to see good results .
However, I was curious to see what a few more etalon combinations would give in a double stacking arrangement.

First, I used the following optical train after the scope:

35mm Ha filter + Powermate 2X + Lunt LS60F + PST (no lenses) + 0.5X reducer + ASI 290

The result was a bit better than when I used a Lunt LS50C filter with a PST in that this larger filter gave more control over the contrast but I could still see the double limb through the haze.
prom.png
prom.png (228.18 KiB) Viewed 292 times

Then, I tried a combination of 2 Lunt filters after the scope

2X Powermate + Lunt LS60F + Lunt LS50C + Coronado 15 mm blocker + 0.5X + ASI290
DS2.png
DS2.png (514.88 KiB) Viewed 292 times
smallp2.png
smallp2.png (235.59 KiB) Viewed 292 times

There was no problem balancing this heavy combination in right ascension but even when I slid the scope as far forward in its mount as I could, the scope was still bottom heavy. It was just slightly unbalanced and so I decided to work that way because of the steep angle.

The results were encouraging with a fairly bright, even looking image. My impression was that the double limb seemed to be absent allthough I’m not sure how two filters in DS that are in the range of 0.6 - 0.7Å each could do this .

I don’t look forward to using this heavy combination much but it was fun to try. There are other less threatening combinations I’ve tested that seem to have a narrower bandwidth and that easier to handle.

And finally there is the Solar Spectrum 0.5Å to configure in a DS with a nice light Quark Combo with its blocker removed.

Lou

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: More DS configurations

Post by Montana »

You are certainly getting some spectacular limb shots :bow :hamster: any reply about your Solar Spectrum temperature yet?

Alexandra

gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, Alexandra

The response from Mark at Solar Spectrum was that the decision to offset the suggested operating temperature from an actual temperature to 0.0 was made for the customer's convenience. Sometimes, when people lost the label or forgot the
operating temperature value, it would be easier to remember 0.0 as a starting point. I understand the rationale but you still have to remember how far up or down you have to go to fine tune the temperature.

I downloaded the full instruction manual for the temperature controller (DTB 4824) on the DELTA website and it explains all the codes used but I found no code that indicate offsetting the operating temperature. The codes that have the word "offset" in them might still require you to know what the actual temperature is to change it back but I don't know what that temperature is.

Here's the link if you feel like doing some reading. I couldn't understand most of it.

https://automaqperu.com/archivos/pdf/b26bb7_DTB48-.pdf

Lou

marios i.

Post by marios i. »

Nice stuff!

Marios S.Ioannou
My Gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/195609307@N07/albums

Sketcher/Visual Observer

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good experiments and results Lou!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!