New Lunt LS60MT

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Fed
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

New Lunt LS60MT

Post by Fed »

I just got my LS60MT, and am so excited to set it up. I chose an AZ5 manual mount for simplicity. Any suggestions on things I should do and not do? The notice on the AZ5 mount box says ‘don’t point your telescope at the sun.’ I will be ignoring that suggestion…

I got the Observer package, so the case is full. I way hoping to set the scope up and store it that way in the case. That would take some doing with the way things are in the case. How have you set up your case for ease of use?

Thanks in advance,

Fed

DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: New Lunt LS60MT

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Fed,
Congratulations on your new Lunt scope! I know you are excited. I use simple altazimuth mounts also, which work just fine for visual use. I have a Coronado SMII60 which I store in it's case along with 25mm CeMax and 19mm Lunt eyepieces. That's all it will hold. The case to the Coronado is quite small.

Let us know how it does.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
rigel123

Post by rigel123 »

Congrats Fed! Besides enjoying your scope, the only recommendation I give to everyone is get a type of desiccant to keep in the case with your scope, or all of your equipment for that matter.

Warren

Lunt LS60T DS
Orion ED80T CF
Meade ETX LS6
Lunt CaK BF1200
Lunt WL Wedge
Baader Photographic Film
ASI174MM
Skyris 236M
Player One Saturn-M SQR

https://www.astrobin.com/users/rigel123/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Congrats on the new scope!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
marios i.

Post by marios i. »

Brilliant!

Marios S.Ioannou
My Gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/195609307@N07/albums

Sketcher/Visual Observer

Fed
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Fed »

rigel123 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:31 am Congrats Fed! Besides enjoying your scope, the only recommendation I give to everyone is get a type of desiccant to keep in the case with your scope, or all of your equipment for that matter.
So, does that mean you keep your telescope in its case when not using it? I was thinking of keeping it on its tripod for easy access. Is that not a good idea?

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I keep my SMII60, Orion70 and Astro-Tech AT72EDII on their mounts/tripods ready for use. I would do the same with the SMII90 and Celestron 102 but they take much more room up when not in use.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Fed
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Fed »

Beautiful day in Toronto, so I took 5-10 minutes here and there to check out the wide assortments of prominences on the sun. Fantastic! I haven't acclimatized to the disc view yet, but the proms are better that I thought they would be!! Watching them change during the day is sooooo cool.

I have a question, though. Is the tuning setting for optimal proms different than that for the disc?

Also, I noticed that the proms tend to fade out (ie into back) when positioned off center to the left. Off center to the right seems to be better. And best is down and to the right a bit. Any idea what settings I needs to change to fix this? I was under the impression that there was no sweet spot with the Lunt pressure tuners.

Thanks,

Fed

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hello Fed,
I have my LS60 for over ten years and if the Etalon is tuned for the whole disk in the centre, I've not really had anything other than a "sweet spot" over the whole disk.

But, for proms and assuming that no Double Stack/DS is used, it is likely that for prom activity tuning is likely albeit you may see both surface detail and proms at the same time. So effectively it maybe necessary to adjust/tune the Etalon either side of the surface-detail "sweet spot" to tune for better prominence activity and where you may well get more prominence detail - especially for imaging and visual too.

Experimenting and getting used to the procedure takes a little while and remember that the Mk-1 Eyeball takes a few moment to actually get accustomed to the darker red-light at the eye-piece (similar to dark-sky visual purposes).

Wearing a suitable head-piece or a solar-shield to keep the Sun's glare away from the eyes is very helpful... Even just a piece of cloth over the scope and your head, can do much the same.

If, either now or in the future you decide on Double Stacking/DSing - Prominences will be less visible against the benefit of getting better contrast for Surface Detail activity such as Granulation/Porridge, Plage etc... You may still see some proms at the same time as the surface, but with careful Etalon tuning...

Well done on your new acquisition and CLEAR SKIES.

Terry

Tigger
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Tigger »

Hi Fed

Congrats on your LS60 and welcome to the bright side. This forum has some very friendly and experienced members who can help with any issues. I have found their knowledge very useful.

I have been on the sunny side for a year now and found solar observing quite a steep learning curve, mind you I’m a bear with very little brain

These would be my top tips for you

1. Tripod - simple alt/az with micro adjustment is fine for observing
2. Storeage - if you don’t leave your scope set up on the tripod, make sure you pack the storeagecase with bags of silicone beads/gelato absorb moisture. This is because mild will quickly form on your blue filter and this will need replacing (personal experience here!! )
3. Eyepieces - your scope is a superb piece of engineering and the magnification you can use will only be governed by your local ‘seeing’. I started with the Lunt Zoom, which is a great little EP. I now use the Lunt Zoom, TV 15mm Delites and Pentax XF 8.5mm for detail when the seeing is good. My advice is to get the sharpest EPs you can afford because it will maximise your enjoyment
4. Pressure Tuner - Even after a year, I am still learning how to get the best out of this gizmo. You can focus on a sun spot, then increase and decrease the pressure to reveal duffest layers of the atmosphere. I have found proms generally need a different setting to surface detail, but it’s possible to set the scope up with an average PT setting that copes with both SD & Proms. Trial and error, but make sure it runs smoothly or add a smidge of grease.
5. Blocking filter - performance drops off below 10c so you might want a small ribbon heater for your Canadian winters, or short viewing sessions if the scope is stored indoors
6. I use Binoviewers for ease of use and they reduce floaters in the eyes
7. Double Stack unit - you may want to consider this once you have got the hang of the scope. The DS will enhance surface detail but make proms fainter.

I’m sure you will have lots of fun with the 60 and if you have any questions, just let me know

John

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Strangely the Coronado blocking filters don’t seem to be affected by the cold like the Lunt blocking filters are. I have observed with mine at 0C with no issues. I was worried about this at first but it hasn’t been a problem. No purpose made heater is made by Coronado.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Congrats with the new scope Fed.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
Fed
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Fed »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:48 pm Hello Fed,
I have my LS60 for over ten years and if the Etalon is tuned for the whole disk in the centre, I've not really had anything other than a "sweet spot" over the whole disk.
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Quite helpful.

I finished the section on etalons in the great solar book by Christian. He explains that the sweetspot should be just about the size the solar disc, if I understand correctly. My sweetspot is just a bit bigger. But it is off center. I’m not sure what that is caused by. Not a problem, I hope.

Fed
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Fed »

Tigger wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:30 pm 1. Tripod - simple alt/az with micro adjustment is fine for observing
That is what I went for, and am very glad I did.
Tigger wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:30 pm 3. Eyepieces - your scope is a superb piece of engineering and the magnification you can use will only be governed by your local ‘seeing’.
We had great seeing the 2 days ago, and wow, what a difference! I was very impressed. Now to get a better eyepiece, I guess…
Tigger wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:30 pm 4. Pressure Tuner - Even after a year, I am still learning how to get the best out of this gizmo. You can focus on a sun spot, then increase and decrease the pressure to reveal duffest layers of the atmosphere.
Sorry, but not really sure what you mean here. I cannot see much on the disc in single stack. I have a DS (ordered at the the same time as the scope, but there is a delay in production). Should be a few weeks. Can’t wait!

Thanks for all the tips. Greatly appreciated.