Three of four lights today 8-9-2021

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Three of four lights today 8-9-2021

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Thanks for looking

Terry
Attachments
8-9-2021 0842Z SODIUM AR2868,2863, +1.jpg
8-9-2021 0842Z SODIUM AR2868,2863, +1.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 410 times
8-9-2021 0832Z Sodium AR2863.jpg
8-9-2021 0832Z Sodium AR2863.jpg (66.58 KiB) Viewed 410 times
8-9-2021 0843Z SODIUM AR2864.jpg
8-9-2021 0843Z SODIUM AR2864.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 410 times
8-9-2021 0935z CALCIUM-K.jpg
8-9-2021 0935z CALCIUM-K.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 410 times
8-9-2021 0852Zz Ha 200fr-75%St.jpg
8-9-2021 0852Zz Ha 200fr-75%St.jpg (936.32 KiB) Viewed 410 times
8-9-2021 0857Z PSP2018 100FRAMES.jpg
8-9-2021 0857Z PSP2018 100FRAMES.jpg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 410 times

eroel

Re: Three of four lights today 8-9-2021

Post by eroel »

Terry:
A nice session of Sodium, CaK and Ha images.
Thanks.
Eric.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Many thanks Eric.
Before the storms was an excellent and clear sky..

Terry

MAURITS

Post by MAURITS »

Very nice session Terry.

Regards,
Maurits

Vista del Cielo Observatory

www.vistadelcielo.be
RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Very nice prom disk Terry
The full disks are good to
Just wondering do you use ImPPG for sharpening?

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Maurits and Rod.

The new AR in the south and south of AR2866 is numbered AR2869...

Yes and no Rod re iMPPG. PaintShopPro has an excellent sharpening tool which can be used on some images, but of course iMPPG can do much better and is being used more often albeit 8-9-2021 0842Z SODIUM AR2868,2863, +1.jpg (56.75 KiB) does seem to be missing that method.

Probably due to being in a hurry out in the observatory for that one, where the temperature was rising rapidly and also needed to go out...

Cheers
Terry

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Terry,

Are most of these single shots, or stacked frames? The Ha FD says 75% stacked from 200 frames. Have you tried taking more frames ( such as 2000-4000) and stacking maybe 10% or fewer? Hold back on the sharpening, maybe.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marios i.

Post by marios i. »

Very nice presentation and the images looks great!
Thank you Terry

Marios S.Ioannou
My Gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/195609307@N07/albums

Sketcher/Visual Observer

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good outcomes Terry! I was at work so glad you caught the sun.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Many thanks to Stu, Marios and Mark T.

At the moment, many (if not all) are single frame captures unless mentioned with the image.

Time has been (and still is) very limited, as other projects and things to do, so although numerous AVI's are still in the 4TB HDD - awaiting when I can get to revue and stack as required. I have started taking some 1,000 captures and quite happy to go up to 4,000 and as you say keeping to say 10%, which is one reason why I put these details on the relevant images for my own benefit for future comparisons.

When the weather goes bad (which is imminently expected to do), that is the time when I will be able to go through the AVI's.
Much appreciate the suggestions from those who-well know how like yourself and much more improvement is hoped for in due course.

Going back to school at my age - can be very difficult to get those grey-cells to mop-up the suggestions, but they are all useful..

Yes Mark, isn't that always the way - before retirement ?? (After retirement, I may have more time to enjoy the Sun, but as busy or busier than when I was working) - well some of the time at least, as have been known to work 20-hours a day to keep 'em flying... !!! :evil:

Regards
Terry

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hi Terry
I think in retirement you have the same amount of work to do, you just haven't got the excuse not to do it :lol:

As Stu said backing off the sharpening a bit may look better.
In ImPPG it has deconvolution, this tends to turn a lot of the features into little worms and dots, I always disable it for solar.
The sharpening tool is very good though in ImPPG and I find it much better than unsharp masking in Paint Shop Pro 9 that I also use and also PhotoShop Ps6 that I also have and paid a lot of money for.
I would say try the same image in both programs and save then compare them against each other, when you have time of course.
This is all subjective though.

Cheers Rod

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Hi Rod,
Thanks for that useful info.
I like the first line though, which for an unpaid retiree, is very appropriate. I was used to taking orders to do a task, but now am able to give them to myself and don't expect those excuses either. He he

I don't and won't have Photoshop, as I don't believe it is necessary or right to have any bank-card in the open for Adobe to take whatever and give little or nufin in return. PaintshopPro V.8, 9 and 2018 are all used here between different machines including my new Win-XP Pro machine too, which satisfies all the needs required here. I know many won't agree, but as I have used PS many years ago and compared it to an early PSP, the latter won the day by far... Sooner donate the same amount to SolarChat for the privilege and gain so much useful information from yourself and others..
Besides, if I really wanted to, I could donate 10 or more PS's annual-money-grabs to other people and still wouldn't want one myself... !!!
Besides I have been using PSP for years for my aviation and other purposes...

I will certainly look at the IMPPG User Manual and see what it can tell me about what you have said.
I have never needed to use the Unsharp Masking in PSP, but then I need to get to grips with the basics of getting the best images from the scopes, cameras and SharpCap first as without that completely sorted any - end-results will be less than good. This is one of the reasons, why I don't want to keep changing any of the gear around here and am quite happy to concentrate on FD's most of the time, except with the Sodium Quark which won't do FD's (as far as I know)...
I'm not in the least bit interested in getting such close-up's as many are able to produce with their large aperture-scopes, as those are only really showing a minute-part of the Sun's activity and in any case, I would/could never compete with their imaging quality... I don't mind looking at such excellent images though, as they have helped me to get the best out of what I've got...

The rains and thunderstorm have started near here before midnight (10-hours earlier than the national forecast) but only the rains have so far reached my location, so didn't need to disconnect any of the aerials in the 'aerial farm' - even though they are supposed to be protected...

Long day today, so off for a kip.
Speak to you soon with better images hopefully.
Regards
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Terry,
I really like your first sodium image. It looks natural and is not over sharpened. The CaK image is nice and the Ha disc image is one of the best you have ever taken! It looks really nice!

Imaging is a work in progress and I am new at it. I certainly cannot criticize your work. Visual comes natural to me. I have far more experience in using my eyes as astronomical detectors!

Blessings

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Nice work Terry: CaK and circle of fire my favorites.

Franco

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

For the very-nice comments from James and Franco, I thank you so much.

There will of course be room for improvement - which applies to almost everyone, so I am trying.

The first Sodium image certainly without the IMPPG effort - is as I and James feel is more natural and it is likely that I won't need to use IMPPG, rather just a slight sharpening in PaintShopPro, so will try with that capture to see the results again and possibly using the AVI's of that particular capture.

The "circle of fire" did require quite a bit of work on the outlying corners (as the tilt of the scope/turning the image for north-up) meant two corners needed work to cut-out/re-colour the bright background - which was not easy. (with very early morning imaging the scopes are tilted-more as opposed to later in the day).. That can apply to the other 'light' captures and I don't want to keep-turning cameras around for that correction.

The Ha, now being taken with the DS, is certainly much better than those of the last year or more and the sky was perfect.
To get the proms with that DS on, certainly surprised me, so it now stays in place for ever...

James, your expert-eyes are important for making comments (or even criticizing) as you clearly can see fine detail through your scopes and pass-on those sights to us so regularly, so even though operating and processing camera-captures is not your expertise (yet), I certainly appreciate you comments along with others, for such improvements.

Thanks again
Terry

RodAstro
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by RodAstro »

Hi Terry

Yep I totally agree about Photoshop yearly payments and Microsoft Office that's why I did buy the last version of Photoshop whilst I could before the yearly thing happened.
I only bought it because of all the free tips and solutions to astro processing people give for it, because most people use it.
I am also a big fan of Paint shop Pro up till 9 and then it was bought up by Corel then Corel was quickly bought by Microsoft.
Paint Shop Pro is much easier on memory as well because it only loads tools as you need them, where Photoshop loads lots of tool at start up supposedly to make the program faster but these tools are more related to journalism and not astronomy so just sit in the background using up memory.

Cheers Rod

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Terry,
I guess my biggest problem with imaging is time and patience. Visual comes natural for me. Still, I do see uses and beauty in solar imaging or I would not have bought a camera or use my iPhone as such. I certainly learn from and enjoy seeing everyone's images here.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea