AR 2868 sunspot on Sept 8

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
gabrieli
Way More Fun to Share It!!

AR 2868 sunspot on Sept 8

Post by gabrieli »

I used a Solar Spectrum 0.5Å filter at f30 (5400 mm) on a 180 Mak recording on a ASI290 for the following. The filter is yet to be calibrated. f30 was supplied by attaching a Televue 2X Powermate to the f15 scope before the filter. I recently found a female M48 to male T mount adapter which replaces the large eyepiece holder on this Powermate to reduce the optical train length a bit by attaching directly to the filter.

My efforts to add the Quark Quark to the Solar Spectrum filter were not successful even with the Quark's blocking filter removed. The image was just too dark.

So far, the various combinations of filters in double stack that I've tried all improve the image contrast but none are better than the PST/Quark combination which easily gives an image with no double limb. This combination also turns out to be the lightest combination. The second PST etalon I have is an absolute dud giving washed out images no matter what I've tried.3

One combination I've yet to try is the Solar Spectrum/PST pairing. I'm hoping the extra light transmission that the PST has may be worth exploring.

The temperature controller for the Solar Spectrum rides the scope in a cradle which has a screen up front to block it from direct sunlight.
setup.JPG
setup.JPG (402.54 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Rain was threatening at one point
cover.JPG
cover.JPG (389.11 KiB) Viewed 212 times

Here's the main subject for today:
181.jpg
181.jpg (429.52 KiB) Viewed 212 times
181c.jpg
181c.jpg (926.11 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Lou

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Re: AR 2868 sunspot on Sept 8

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Absolutely beautiful close-up of AR2868 Lou, showing just the right amount of detail in your well-processed and coloured image.

Thanks for sharing
Terry

Valery

Post by Valery »

Very interesting experiments with double stacking of different etalons, Lou. And some nice results were obtained.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice results and interesting to hear about the experiments Lou!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!