September 8 2021 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

September 8 2021 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time is from 14:50 to 16:00 UTC. The skies are partly cloudy. The seeing below average. The temperature is 81F ( 27.2C ) A thunderstorm complete with heavy rain and hail hit about 30 minutes or so after I came in from observing.

Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS. 32x, 44.5x, 50x, and 89x ( Ha )
I notice a single spot NW of the plage in AR12864 in the NW quadrant. To the east and northeast of AR12864 I see 5 filaments. The stretched S shaped filament due east of AR12864 overlies the faint plage of AR12865. AR12863 in the SW quadrant shows a fairly faint plage with a single visible spot. I can see the plage and several spots in AR12868 on the south-central part of the disc. AR12866 just NE of it shows a number of easy spots amid a bright plage and an easy but thin filament connecting two of the northernmost spots in the group. The newly-numbered AR 12869 is seen as a plage, south of AR12866. That makes 6 AR disturbances seen on the Ha disc today. I notice no filaments in the southern hemisphere outside of the one within AR12866.

I do see several interesting prominences on the solar limb today which are best seen in single stack with the Orion 16mm eyepiece ( 50x ) giving the overall best view. I see several on the NE limb with a couple of them resembling a down feather. Delicate and well, feathery! A fainter one is seen on the NW limb that has somewhat of a dome shape. Surprisingly as faint as it is, in single stack I can see some detail in it. I could never do this using the SMII60! I call the SW prom the " Psycho " prom! It looks like a curved knife trailing blood from a chop! A small blunt prom lies directly to it's north. My view was considerably sharper than what the GONG image shows, despite the seeing.

The mottles are easily seen covering the solar disc wherever a plage is absent and despite the less than average seeing the spicule layer shows up easily circling the limb. 89x shows some of the individual spicule blades. Very thin and delicate looking.

Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair wedge and 540nm filter. 55x and 83x ( WL )
I can see 5 active regions on the white light photosphere today. AR12864 in the NW shows a nice single fairly large spot with a well developed penumbra. I can see mottling within the penumbra despite the seeing. I can see a scattering of pores, more of a loose cloud of them just due east of the bigger spot of AR12864. AR12863 shows a single well developed spot w/penumbra. A close look reveals a tiny pore very close by. It's faculae is visible. AR12868 on the south-central part of the disc shows a well developed spot with a curved thin light bridge and a smattering of smaller spots and pores to it's NE. I can see mottling in the larger spot's penumbra. AR12866 in the SE quadrant shows 4 spot areas enveloped in penumbrae. I notice the NW spot the most. It has three distinct umbrae! SE of AR12866 is the spot group of the now numbered AR12869. I can see one small spot and 4 pores within it. Three of the pores are in a vertical line. I have to catch moments of better seeing to see them clearly.

I can see the fine solar granulation fairly clearly during moments of better seeing. It comes and goes.

Carpe Noctem!

James

GONG+SDOHMIc_9-8-21.JPG
GONG+SDOHMIc_9-8-21.JPG (154.46 KiB) Viewed 199 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Re: September 8 2021 Observations

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

We've said it elsewhere today James, that these changes are happening "fast and furious" as another addition and now Chris capturing another flare too.

Cheers
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I gotta get at the scope. Weather permitting.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks for the report James. Work, rain and thunder conspired against me today...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Mark. This morning and early afternoon was mostly cloudy but the evening turned out nice and sunny and really fall-like. But I was then like you. At work )-:

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars