November 29 2021 Observations

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

November 29 2021 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time is from 16:20 to 17:12 UTC. The skies are mostly clear with well below average seeing. The temperature is 38F ( 3.3C )

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x and 25x ( Ha )
AR12898 is visible as a plage and with a close look a spot in it's western portion. AR12900 immediately SW of AR12898 shows a spot in the western part of it's plage. I can also without too much difficulty see a small plage in the NE quadrant just east of the CLM. Just west of it I can see 4 filaments that is associated with a large disturbance located there though I cannot see the disturbance itself. GONG El Teide imagery does pick it up though. I can barely pick up the disturbance of AR12901 in the NE.

Filaments are not near as prominent in the southern hemisphere as they have been over the last couple of weeks. I see only a few small ones. The large filament seen over the last couple of weeks crossing the south is now on the SW limb as a filaprom. Three fairly prominent filaments are visible in the northern hemisphere along with a small number of smaller ones.

I can see three areas of prominence activity on the limb. The SE has a few with the northernmost being the easiest to see. The NE has a triple-prom with the middle one being shaped like a tornado. I'll have to check SDO imagery via Helioviewer and see if it is indeed spinning. The SW has the big filament on the limb as a filaprom. It's not really that impressive. It's like a low flame with a dark projection into the disc. Of the three proms visible in the SW the southernmost one is the largest and easiest to see.

The mottles are visible across the Ha disc.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x and 50x ( WL )
Three spots are easily visible in the SW quadrant. AR12898 is visible as a fair sized spot with a visible umbra and penumbra. I can see a small spot and pore just east of it. AR12900 to the SW of AR12898 shows two sizeable spots. One has a curved upright tail! NW of the tailed spot is a larger one with an elongated umbra surrounded by a penumbra. East of it lies three pores. AR12901 is but a single small spot amid some faculae. The SDO HMI continuum image shows a single large pore well west of AR12901 where Ha shows a small plage. I didn't catch sight of this pore at all. I completely overlooked it! :-(

The fine granulation is difficult to see. Almost invisible.

Carpe Lumen!

James

GONGha+SDOHMIc_11-29-21.JPG
GONGha+SDOHMIc_11-29-21.JPG (149.85 KiB) Viewed 237 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: November 29 2021 Observations

Post by Montana »

Sounds like you had a better session yesterday and managed to see a lot (we will forgive the missed pore :lol: ) great report as always James :hamster:

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Re: November 29 2021 Observations

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Thanks Alexandra. I am setting up for today's session now and letting the scopes adjust to the outside air.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea