December 1 2021 Observations.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

December 1 2021 Observations.

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Session time was from 15:50 to 16:50 UTC. The skies are partly cloudy with high to medium level clouds. The seeing is above average! The temperature is 57F ( 13.8C )

Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS. 16x, 21.5x, 25x, 33x and 50x ( Ha )
I was able to see seven plages/disturbances on the Ha chromosphere today! AR12898 and AR12900 are visible as plages in the far SW nearing the limb. SE of them lies a line of filaments. I could also see a disturbance, surprisingly without much difficulty on the south-central part of the disc, even a tiny area of plage could be seen. Well NE of it in the SE quadrant I can see the small but easy plage of AR12903. South of AR1903 I can see a chain of filaments to the SE limb. I can see AR12901 in the NE quadrant as a low contrast plage with an embedded filament. Well west of it lies a couple of small filaments and the plage of AR12902 in the NW quadrant. Just west of AR12902 lies a dark filament amidst a faint but visible disturbance. All in all the north is almost as active as the south is now.

Two nice prominences are on the limb. Surprisingly they show more contrast and detail in double-stack than they do in single-stack. The SW shows a bright sizeable prom on the limb. A void is visible in it's northern portion. The southern part is more vertically aligned. The NE prom is a little fainter but more flamelike in appearance.

The mottles are easily seen across the disc. Try as I might I cannot see the spicule layer on the limb. It's usually difficult in the 60 while often easy in the 90.

Orion 70mm Solar Telescope. 25x, 50x, 62.5x and 100x ( WL )
The spot complex of AR12898 and AR12900 are easily seen nearing the SW limb. Two of these spots show easy penumbrae with the western spot showing two umbrae. The easternmost spot of AR12898 is almost round with an easily seen penumbra. Despite the seeing I can see no penumbral detail. Faculae are visible around the spots but I can see no clear evidence of the bright ring. Faculae trail SE of the spot of AR12898. AR12902 in the NW quadrant is visible as 5 spots and a couple of small pores in a bipolar group. I can see a patch of faculae very near the SE limb. Well SW of it I see a single tiny pore. It belongs to AR12903. Surprisingly I can barley make out faculae or a faint disturbance in the granulation field here at low power, 25x. I cannot see it at all at 50x. I think the higher magnification dims the image a bit too much. The pore can be barely seen at 50x and is easier at 62.5x. It's invisible at 100x due to dimming of the image. Overall 62.5x gives the best view today in white light.

The fine granulation is easily seen today across the disc. It's even visible at 25x without issue!

Carpe Noctem my Friends.

Goodnight

James

12-1-21 Observations.JPG
12-1-21 Observations.JPG (151.68 KiB) Viewed 224 times

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: December 1 2021 Observations.

Post by Montana »

Thanks James, both lights sound like they were visually very interesting which is great. Glad you could enjoy the granulation in WL.

I remember now why I haven't used the TiO filter much, it is because I would have to open up the Herschel wedge to remove the Continuum filter which is deeply embedded in the inner workings of the Baader wedge. It was too much faff. However, Christian has given me an idea for next spring, I should use it with the C11 as I use Baader film for this instead with a screw on the camera Continuum filter, so I can swap and change easily. It will be really good to do a comparison. I'm glad that discussion came up.

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Re: December 1 2021 Observations.

Post by DeepSolar64 »

You are welcome Alexandra.

I can see uses for a TiO filter. Visually it is near infrared so would probably have to be used with a monitor for visual use. That's my guess anyway. Try it with the C11. I am curious what you come up with.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea