No longer affiliated with Lunt Solar Systems

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

No longer affiliated with Lunt Solar Systems

Post by solarchat »

As of the night before International SUNday, June 25th, we are no longer sponsored or affiliated with Lunt Solar Systems.

My integrity and thankfulness for their previous 4 years of sponsorship prevents me from disclosing the details but suffice it to say, we have some philosophical differences and their financial situation doesn't allow a monthly sponsorship.

I have been offered sponsorships from 2 other major solar vendors from big to small and am currently trying to decide whether we want a solar equipment sponsor at all and if so, which one.

Lunt's financial support was about 20% of our annual cash budget and I think we can make it up with donor support but I am still working out the plan for the rest of this year and next. I have substantial debt to pay off from the several items I have purchased as giveaways and the expenses associated with International SUNday and the Kosovo donations but I will pay them with a donation of my own money, as usual, if need be.

Please consider continuing your sponsorship of CBSAP this year with perhaps a monthly paypal allotment in the $30-$100 range to [email protected] or perhaps a significant donation during our fundraiser this year in September/October.

This is a substantial blow to the organization both financially and especially emotionally, as CBSAP "grew up" with Lunt Solar Systems. They meant the world to me and this was a total surprise. The program and what we do for the hobby and students around the globe is far more important than one company so rest assured, we will continue.

As for the slow speeds that have been plaguing the forum of late. We have had very crafty malicious code of the denial of service variety inserted into thousands of files and every time we catch it in one, it shows up in another. Please be patient as we work these things out.
Having a forum with auto-registration and openness exposes the server to the thousands of assholes who ruin the internet for everyone else. It's a fine line between security and openness and we are trying to ride it.

Thank you for making this the best solar forum on the internet.

Stephen

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: No longer affiliated with Lunt Solar Systems

Post by Carbon60 »

So sorry to hear of the problems, Steven. I'm sure you'll use your ingenuity to work around them and you can count on the support of those of us around the globe who really appreciate your hard work and dedication to making this forum available and the best!

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
GUS

Re: No longer affiliated with Lunt Solar Systems

Post by GUS »

Sorry to hear this Stephen, seemed like you had an excellent relationship with Lunt, hopefully all is good soon.