CBSAP Outreach to 3rd & 4th Graders-?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
thurston313
The Sun?
The Sun?

CBSAP Outreach to 3rd & 4th Graders-?

Post by thurston313 »

"I tho't I'd give you an update. I just got home from Coosa Valley Elementary School and talked to the Principal. She said that she was excited about the donation of the glasses for the students from CBSAP. She told me they had 400 students 1st thru 4th grades. She planned to use the glasses for the 3rd & 4th grades and tho't there might be enough for each of them. She did not think the 1st & 2nd grades would be as interested. We talked a few minutes about the eclipse and then she asked me if I would come back to talk to her 3rd & 4th graders about the eclipse & astronomy. I told her that I could so she is going to talk to her 3rd & 4th-grade teachers and call me. She did say that she was going post on the School's FB page about the CBSAP and the donation of the glasses for the students to make sure credit was given. I gave her a CBSAP brochure and hinted to her that donations were welcomed and appreciated especially in September but not required as any payment for the glasses. So we will see how this connection works out."
This quote is from a message I sent to a new friend, James Ambrister, who introduced me to CBSAP. I requested some glasses from Stephen earlier and James also helped out. I have given them all away primarily to the School. Since I am a new CBSAP member and trying to do some outreach, I would like any suggestions for giving a 30-45 minute talk to 3rd & 4th graders about solar astronomy and especially the eclipse since the School's Principal has asked if I could. I have some experience teaching adults but not children. Any suggestions, hints or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

James0057
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: CBSAP Outreach to 3rd & 4th Graders-?

Post by James0057 »

SUNTASTIC ! & welcome where the Sun always Shines ! Congrats & Clear Skies. !

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Well done! that sounds fantastic! I am not sure what age a 3/4th grader is but I would keep it as simple as possible with lots of diagrams if you can find them on the web. Even better get some fruit and a lamp and demonstrate everything in front of the lamp, this makes it much more real and understandable. Even better to eat the fruit afterwards. Certainly a demonstration will stick in the mind more than words, it has to be fun. Stick to science too and try and explain some popular myths they may have heard about the eclipse and tell them the truth with evidence, that is always a winner too. I am no expert as I have never talked to kids (only adults) about solar so I am sure there will be some pro's like Stephen can help. I am sure we had a discussion about this a long time ago, I wonder if you scroll down all the posts in this section to a few years back whether you might find something similar? I know there were some good suggestions.
Let us know how you get on :)
Alexandra

thurston313
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by thurston313 »

Thanks for the info. I too have experience when I was working in Healthcare with teaching adults, MDs, PAs, Nurses, Clinic Staff but... kids are a different story. That is why I asked the question because I know I will need to make it fun for the kids with demonstrations and their involvement. I do have a couple of poster boards set up with pictures and illustrations that I got from NASA and other websites. One board is all about the eclipse while the 2nd is about astronomy in general and they both promote CBSAP. I think the idea about using fruit is good and then I can give the fruit to the kids. I thought I would end with allowing the kids to look at the sun with the glasses and my 70mm scope with an EclipseSmart filter. I need to sit down with the teachers and find out from them what they think I may need to cover and do for their kids. Thanks, Montana, for suggestions. Clear Skies!!!