530.4nm

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
p_zetner
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: 530.4nm

Post by p_zetner »

Why would you bother with this wavelength? It is purely photospheric continuum.
Here is a spectrum (BASS2000) in the relevant spectral region.
5304 solar spectrum.jpg
5304 solar spectrum.jpg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
This spectrum shows absorption on the disk. There is only continuum at 5304 Angstroms.

Peter.

p_zetner

Re: 530.4nm

Post by p_zetner »

When you ask for a "full constructed solar image", my answer remains the same. You will merely see the solar photosphere, which you can more easily view using a solar continuum filter (eg. Baader 540nm) in a conventional observing or imaging setup with telescope.

The paper you're referencing describes observation of the green coronal line at 530nm due to emission by Fe XIV (13 times ionized iron!). The (weak) light from such a coronal line will be entirely swamped by atmospherically scattered continuum light unless you're observing in a total eclipse or high on a mountain with a good coronagraph.

It would be great to have the chance to observe with a SHG during a total eclipse but I'm not sure that any amateur's done it!

Cheers.
Peter.