Magnetometer data-G1 solar storm

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Magnetometer data-G1 solar storm

Post by Carbon60 »

A CME impacted with Earth's protective magnetic bubble (magnetosphere) in the late hours of July 19th, sparking aurora as the resulting G1 solar storm reverberated around our planet. The resulting magnetic fluctuations in Earth's magnetic field were captured on my magnetometer here in the UK, as shown below.

Image20160720_CME_G1 Storm by Stuart Green, on Flickr

The event started at around midnight (UT) 19th/20th and lasted throughout the following day, before eventually quietening down.

Thanks for looking.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Magnetometer data-G1 solar storm

Post by marktownley »

A good result there Stu!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

Great report Stu :bow2

Similar result here...... give or take a bit of thermal noise thanks to the mini heat wave :lol:
19-20th July.jpg
19-20th July.jpg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 5011 times

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Cheers Mark/Mike.

Looks good, Mike. I'm glad it's all still up and running.

Stu.

Radio meteor detector.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Great to see both of you picked it up, lets hope we get more now the nights are drawing in :hamster:

Alexandra

highfnum

Post by highfnum »

nice work

rxdeath
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by rxdeath »

getting this kind of data is really awesome...can we see a picture of your instrument? that would be really cool to have one, i've been thinking about ham radio so i can listen to the 10cm band, this would be awesome too, did you build it or is this a commercial device? can you reference where you got it if so?

i'll answer my own question if you too are interested in this, see the tutorial he made here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10349

grimble_cornet

Post by grimble_cornet »

You may also be interested in this 'extended discussion' in which Stu helps me to build and operate a replica of his magnetometer :D

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14485

Mike Garbett

Selection of Solar and Deep Sky images on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegarbett/
rxdeath
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by rxdeath »

ok you two are awesome. i want one. i'm in sacramento so this could be interesting because i'm quite a bit farther away. if i do one and we can get someone in oz interested that would be close to the DSN!

i have power lines behind my house at 400v (typical for normal res power lines in the us, steps down to split phase 240 at the transformer on the pole) so i think the impact would be minimum, for me the thermal regulation will be difficult as our temperature right now swings from around 15-35. in the 'winter' it's much better, but i'll have to plan for summer, winter will come easy then.

my garden is unfortunately closer to the power lines in my backyard, is there a good test one could do see if the interference is above a certain level? i have really only 2 places where it's practical to dig and the other is close to my neighbors property line so i couldn't guarantee nonchanges/noninterference from there, so the garden seems like the best option. however 'practicality' has rarely been my driving force in astronomy lol, i am more than happy to kill a fly with a cannon.

also in the appendix of stu's write up it shows a case with 2 bat dets in it...does that case go in a tub that has a heat mat, or how do you thermally control those? was it pre-vacuum flask? how intense is getting cables in and out of vacuum flask (drilling, etc)? has anything dramatically changed since the end of the extended discussion?

props, what an awesome project!

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi 'Rxdeath',

Glad this has sparked some interest. There is an updated description which Mark will transfer to the tutorial section, but basically it just covers what is presented in the thread that Mike pointed you to.

Power lines could be an issue, especially with a transformer with obvious EM effects, as the device is very sensitive. Try to position it as far away from such things as possible.

Other than getting someone in to undertake a survey, the only option might be to build one and see, with the risk of wasting time and money if there is too much interference and it doesn't work.

The other issue is temperature, as you have recognised. This is the reason for the vacuum flask, cool box and heater mat which is all a bit of a pain, but worth the effort. There is a bit of drilling and fiddling to be done getting the wires and glands sorted, but nothing too challenging.

Let me know if you are going ahead and I can guide you through the steps, although the thread Mike pointed you to covers a lot of the groundwork.

Cheers

Stu.

Radio meteor detector.
p_zetner

Post by p_zetner »

Great results, Stu (and Mike).

Hopefully there will be a reasonable number of these events to record as the Sun winds down to activity minimum.

Cheers.
Peter.