Continuing Geomagnetic Storms October 2016

I LOVE finding out about different ways to appreciate the Sun and light in general. Use this forum to post your info or questions about various outside the mainstream ways to appreciate our life giving star!
Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Continuing Geomagnetic Storms October 2016

Post by Carbon60 »

Fast flowing solar wind from a large coronal hole continues to bombard Earth's magnetic bubble (magnetosphere) creating beautiful aurora and 'moving the needles' on magnetometers around the globe. Here's a geomagnetic summary from my magnetometer here in the north west UK recorded over the last 8 days illustrating the build up in activity.
20161022-29_RoC_Solar Wind.jpg
20161022-29_RoC_Solar Wind.jpg (226.45 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
One feature of such events is that Earth's magnetic field 'rings like a bell', periodically storing and releasing energy as the storm progresses. This is illustrated in the chart below, captured on October 25th.
20161025_Solar Wind.jpg
20161025_Solar Wind.jpg (174.39 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
More aurora are predicted for tonight for those lucky enough to be in the right place without clouds. Not me, unfortunately :(

Thanks for looking.

Stu

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Continuing Geomagnetic Storms October 2016

Post by marktownley »

Interesting Data there Stu, especially about the field ringing like a bell. It would have to be a very bright aurora for me to see it here in Brierley Hills with its light pollution.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Continuing Geomagnetic Storms October 2016

Post by Montana »

Superb data over the week :hamster: :bow sadly we are settled into grey damp drizzle for days, no analemma for me this weekend :(

Alexandra